Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who Should Be Gov't Mule's new Bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by watspan, Feb 12, 2003.

1. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Reading a couple of the replies under the "black crowes bassist" thread got me thinking, who should be the Mule's bassist? Or should they continue to have various guests? Obviously nobody can take the place of Capt. Al. What are your thoughts? Also consider whether your choice would be available. I'll start by suggesting that Dave Schools would be an excellant replacement IMHO. Having heard him in some of the bonus live discs and seeing him on the Bonaroo dvd, i think he's a great fit. With Mikey passing away, his WSP gig may be in doubt. I think Dave is a great bassist and his tone and style seem a real contrast to Woody--real clean Modulus 5 or 6 string vs. Woody's Muddy Gibson EB--but it works IMO.
    :bassist:

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    How about Oteil, since he already played with the ABB.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Gov't Mule is going to announce a permenent replacement for Woody in April/ May. David Schools would be great, but he has his own thing with Panic.:cool:

4. Yea this is a tough one. I think my top two choices are Otiel and Dave Schools. Yes they both have their other projects but so does Warren Haynes. I've seen Oteil with them and it was awesome. I was also surprised at how well George Porter Jr. went with Matt and Warren.

Andy Hess and Greg Rzab are great players, but when I've seen them with Mule they seem like sidemen. You can't have a sideman in a power trio.

5. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Is WSP replacing Mikey or going ahead w/o him? I haven't heard anything.

6. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Widespread have been touring ever since Michael Houser died with guitarist George Mcconnell taking over. The just released a live DVD with the new lineup a couple weeks back..........it's called ' Live From The Brickyard'.

7. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Wonder if he's related to Paige McConnell, keyboardist? BTW--where did you hear about the mule announcing a permanent replacement?

8. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Jambands.com.......they also talk about Gov't Mule doing one last concert with a bunch of guest bassist to be filmed for DVD release......that would be very cool;)

9. the Ernie

the Ernie

Jun 16, 2002
    Oceanside,NY
    Mule is going to have a permanent replacement for Allen Woody. Ive heard that Flea(yes, The Flea) is going to be the full time bassist for the Mule while staying the bassist for the chili peppers as well. I wish they would choose schools though just because him and warren haynes make a great one two punch up on stage.

10. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
  11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Dave Schools would be a great choice. I saw them live a while ago, and his style and playing are a good fit for Mule.

12. Me. I think I should be the next Allen Woody. Look at my username :rolleyes: .
    j/k

Seriously, Oteil or Schools would be good additions, but there were a few bassplayers that I wish Warren and Matt would've played with (or tried to). I heard that on the Deep End Vol. 2, Jason Newsted was a last minute add on. He replaced John Paul Jones, who, for some unnamed reason, couldn't participate. I wish that would've happened. Can you imagine Zep's bassist with them? Wow!
    Another bassist that I think would've been great, had he not been shot :( would've been Felix Pappalardi from Mountain. The similarities in Woody's and Pappalardi's sound are downright scary. Anyways, that's not going to happen since he's dead.
    I would've liked to see Berry Oakley Jr. sit in with the mule. He sounds alot like his dad, who was in the Allman's prior to Woody. I don't necessarily know if he would've added anything, but I'd be curious to see how he'd do.
    I also would've like to have seen John McVie sit in with them. Again, like Berry Oakley Jr., I don't know if he would've brought much to the table, but...

Anyways, it'll be interesting who they choose nonetheless. I'm sure Warren and Matt will make a sound decision.

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If Tim Bogert won't do it, my fingers are greased-up and my amp is squeezed-up.

.....But, er....is my check getting scraped by the guys at the board and the lights???

14. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I really hope neither Schools or Oteil is chosen. Neither players fit in. I've seen Schools play with them a few times and he was horrible. He kept getting lost. Oteil played better but stylistically didn't work for me. There was a band called Screamin' Cheetah Wheelie's that had a pretty cool bass player that I think might work for Mule. Please God, not Flea! I don't know who should join them but I hope nobody from the DeepEnd CD's.

15. DrPFunk

DrPFunk

Nov 17, 2002
    I've seen both Dave Schools and George Porter Jr. with the Mule and both would work well, but suprisingly to myself, I would give the nod to Porter.

16. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I vote for me!

...Okay, I admit I'm not really a big fan of theirs, but I play in a classic rock cover band (misfit that I am) that covers a coupla Mule tunes (and several Allman Bros. tunes). The band is even named 'Rockin' Horse' after the Mule song!

I'd be in it mainly for the money... and nevermind that I could never hold a candle to Oteil's solo/scat routine. Shhh... don't ruin it for me...

Plus, my avatar kinda looks like a mule, as someone recently pointed out.

:D

17. TravellinMan

TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    That's a tough one! Jason Newstead did a good job! I don't think Metallica let him stand out! Except for Cliff Burton's solo's but those where Cliff not Jason!

18. the Ernie

the Ernie

Jun 16, 2002
    Oceanside,NY
    Newstead wont be the bassist because back ont he mules last tour he was supposed to play a show but then ended up not showing and didnt inform them about it at all- he just a no-show.

19. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Screamin' Cheetah's Wheelie's lead singer is getting together with Double Trouble (SRV's old band) and is planning on doing some work with them. I'm really excited to hear what that will sound like.

20. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    Either George Porter or Tony Levin Saw the Mule show at the Beacon in NYC and they both blew me away