Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who should cover shipping?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nick Bibeault, Feb 24, 2003.

1. I'm sending my bass back to Peavey for warranty replacement and I would like to know if Peavey or myself should pickup on the shipping bill?

2. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I think it's pretty common for you to have to eat the shipping - which kinda sucks. I don't know about Peavey in particular, but if they don't offer to pick up the tab, at least know that they're not alone. Good luck :)

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

True dat. Same for Carvin. They have to protect themselves from people who want to return their gear for the slightest problems.

However, I got Carvin to pay for all shipping on a bass because it had a flaw that wasn't my fault at all. But, I had to speak with the Sales Mgr. to get that shipping okayed. Pretty nice of them and very unusual circumstance.

4. I had an issue with an amp i bought from Carvin. I called them about the problem and they told me to box it up and they had UPS pick it up the next day, didn't charge me a dime for shipping. It was this reason that I was asking if the company would cover shipping on a warranty return.

5. Some vendors have you pay the shipping to them, then, it's on them for the return trip. This may become a thing of the past the way companies have to cut every little corner.

Mike

6. What does Peavey say?

7. I was told by Peavey that they will only cover the shipping back to me. I have to fork out the $34.98 for shipping and insurance via Fedex ground to send it.:(

This is the cause for the initial question. Although it didn't work my way this time, I feel if the company has a defective product they should take all measures to replace the product while the product is still under warranty. I think there is no reason why the owner of the product should have to spend more money on the product to send it back to the factory to have it fixed/replaced while under the maunufacturer's warranty.

I don't know if anyone else feels the same way that i do about that but it is just my $.02.

8. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    im saying nacho just to get in secretdonkey's sig

bp13

9. Nick, I agree that Peavy should pay all shipping if it's still under warranty but if they won't you don't have much choice but to pay if you want it repaired. I would take it back to the dealer you bought it from and see if they can get better results.

10. I would return it to the dealer but I bought the bass on my last trip to florida and I currently reside in Massachusetts. returning to the dealer would cost me the same if I sent it to Peavey.

11. actually, it's your $34.98 :D ;) just kiddin'

i know whatcha mean. it's not like your just sending it back for maintenence or a tune-up. the initial product was unsatisfactory, and they should do what they can to fix the problem.
    well, at least they're payin' for the shipping one way; they could have tried to stick you with both ways.

12. Nick, I read my Cirrus warranty and it states you can take it to any Peavy Authorized Service Center that can correct your problem. I would call them and see if you have one near you. If the Service Center can't repair your bass you do have to send it back to Peavey at your cost:(

13. a service center couldn't help me out, I need a whole new bass. my bass (Peavey Grind NTB) developed some cracking in the body of the bass and i contacted Peavey and they told me to send it back for replacement.

I'll see if I can find the link to the post of the problem.

14. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    That's wrong, man.

I'd try to escalate it up their chain -- they're fault, they ought to pay the shipping both ways.

Call Hartley.

15. Well I don't know how much farther i can take this with Peavey. The person who I have been speaking with over the course of the last couple days is the service manager. But there is no reason why the customer should pay more for an unsatisfactory product. Don't get me wrong, when the bass was still in an acceptable condition it was one heck of an instrument.