Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who should I be listening to that I am not?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by WickdMOnkey, Aug 23, 2004.

1. WickdMOnkey

WickdMOnkey

Nov 18, 2003
    Illinois
    Hey guys I haven't posted here much but I drop in and read every once in a while. Anyway I thought I would ask you all who I should be listening to in order to help expand my influences. Right now I am big into Rocco Prestia, Alan Woody, and John Entwistle. I have been kinda stuck on these guys for a while and find myself really drawing from their styles. In the past I have been hung up on guys like Fieldy, Leon Wilkensen, Tim Commerford, Les Claypool and Barry Oakley. I just want to expand my listening selections and try and find some new influences. I feel like I have been in a rut lately so by listening to something new to me I hope I can pull out of it. Thanks Guys

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Victor Wooten, Jaco Pastorius, Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, Larry Graham, Charles Mingus.. Just to name a few.. They're mainly Jazz and funk, but people should always try and expand their musical horizons.

3. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    You've made some good choices in Wilkeson, Entwistle & Oakley! :)

Try some more of the players from the early seventies who really knew how to be melodic while grooving.... e.g. Tiran Porter (Doobie Brothers), Peter Cetera (Chicago), Joe Puerta (Ambrosia), John Deacon (Queen), Paul Goddard (Atlanta Rhythm Section), Dee Murray (Elton John), Rutger Gunnarsson (Abba), Ross Valory (Journey), Verdine White (Earth, Wind & Fire) etc....

I find them very inspirational in composing melodic, solid, groove-laden basslines.... :bassist:

4. Paul McCartney
    James Jamerson

Examples:
    Temptations - Heard it Through The Grape Vine
    Temptations - My Girl
    Beatles - Come Together
    Beatles - Lovely Rita

oh yeah...the guy from Queen(You're my best friend has a great line)

5. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Steve Harris!The clang-clang dude.

Oh and Cliff Burton,Geezer Butler,Duff McKagan and Geddy Lee.

6. If you are into the rock thing:

Chuck Rainey w/Steely Dan (or any Steely Dan) Listen to "Kid Charlemagne"

My suggestion would be to listen to some Christian McBride, he is who got me out of my rut. Get the following CD's:
    George Duke - Face the Music
    Christian McBride - A Family Affair, Sci-Fi, Vertical Vision
    David Sanborn - Timeagain

Face the Music is one of the greatest CD's ever. Definitely a deserted island CD.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Geddy Lee; go get you a Rush fix. Buy a few albums or their greatest hits. Learn every line. :D Enjoy

Others I would recommend simply because I love their style

1. Sting (Police)
    2. Paul McCartney (Beatles)
    3. John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin)
    4. Geezer Butler (Sabbath)
    5. Paul Simonon (The Clash)
    6. Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)
    7. Chris Squire (Yes)

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

One word! Motown!! Listen to any and all of Motown records from the 60's to the late 70's!

9. +1 That CD stays in my vehicle almost all the time.

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    An earlier post mentioned broadening your horizons.

If you have a high-speed net connection, try listening to some Internet radio stations that carry stuff that you have NEVER heard...like Middle Eastern music (geee...so THAT is where Zeppelin got the idea for "Kashmir" :D ), Indian music, Celtic music, Bulgarian music, Mexican music, reggae, African music...whatever. Of course there is always jazz and classical music to listen to (Bach's organ music has some insane bass lines and his cello suites will really open your ears to what you can do with melody in the bass register)

When I was a young sprout I would have laughed at anyone who told me I would get tired of listening to rock music eventually. Well, it did eventually happen. I do still listen to some rock, but it's not the center of my musical diet any more and it's made me a better bass player by giving me a better view of what MUSIC is all about.

11. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Couple guys not mentioned that Ill bring up:

Tony Levin - King Crimson (and various other bands)
    Mark King - Level 42 (I dont dig the tunes as much as the basslines though)
    Juan Nelson - Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals
    Danyel - Robert Randolph and the Family Band

All of those guys are great bass players, two old school, two newer guys, all groovin.

12. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    You may want to check out Willie Weeks (Donny Hathaway & George Harrison)
    Mike Watt
    Brian Richie (violent Femmes)
    David Hood (Muscle Shoals session man)
    Donald "Duck" Dunn
    Oteil Burbridge
    Rusty Allen (Sly & the Family Stone)
    Robert Trujillo (Infectious Grooves stuff in particular)
    Carol Kaye

You should go see as many live shows as possible. There are some great but unknown players out there that you will never hear about unless you see them live. Live music is the key!

13. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    +1.. Geddy is teh pwn.

14. WickdMOnkey

WickdMOnkey

Nov 18, 2003
    Illinois
    Thanks guys those are some great suggestions. Reading your suggestions made me think "oh yeah of course, he was awsome". I have alteast some of about 90% of those you mentioned in my collection. I have just put them away for a while and forgot about them, or I just haven't really been into them since I started playing bass. (approximately 4 years ago)

I really like your suggestion of going to live shows. I agree with it 100% I have seen some fantastic players that I had previously never heard of. Example the newest bass player for Monte Montgomerys band. I don't remember his name but he blew me away when I saw him last fall. It's really something if you leave a Monte show raving about the bass player and not Monte. You guys know that if you have seen him though.

Thanks for the suggestions again guys and if you have more keep them coming.

15. Overend Watts- Mott the Hoople
    Trevor Bolder- Early Bowie, Late 70s to Now Uriah Heep
    And the orignal Bassist from chicago , i dunno his name.

16. Geddy Lee
    Larry Graham

17. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    My newest favourites are Mike Pope and Matthew Garrison. John Patittucci, Steve Swallow, Jimmy Haslip and the ones mentioned above by other posters are also great.

For Double bass: Gary Karr, Edgar Meyer, Joel Quarrington, Sam Jones, Dave Young, Marc Johnson, Paul Chambers, and Eddie Gomez.

LM

18. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Mingus, and Miller, Marcus is a great player, slap or otherwise (and I'm not even a but fan of slap.)

But if you really want to expand your horizons musically... check this guy out.

http://stage.vitaminic.com/main/sergio_grazzini

he makes the double bass SING.

19. mattmcnewf

mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    another vote for geezer Bulter and for John paul jones.

20. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Allen Woody-Allman Brothers
    Phil Lesh-The Dead
    Tom Aria-Slayer
    Any and all Motown....Jamerson is the prime number baby!