1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who should I go to in Nashville to shield my bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jiant., Nov 27, 2006.

1. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    So I'm looking for someone to shield my bass, whether it's a tech at a shop or somebody on here who is willing and knows what they're doing. Or maybe is this something I could easily do myself? Thanks guys. -Brad

2. Its a fairly simple job. Just check this out, and decide for yourself wether or not your capable of doing it or not:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159191

But if you decide to take it to someone, may I suggest Brian Barrett, of The Low End Bass Shop? He's a fine buisnessman and a great guy. I've never talked to him about wether or not shielding is a specialty he offers, but I know he's more than capable of doing it, and probably wouldn't mind doing it for whatever price he asks.

3. Shielding is very easy to do yourself. Conductive paint is one way to go; I prefer adhesive copper foil. If you can find the 3M stuff with conductive adhesive, you don't even need to solder anything to connect it to ground.

4. Conductive adhesived copper foil is what i use, its a dead easy to do job, just set aside an hour one day, desolder your pickups from whatever controls they are attached to, take out the pickups and controls, cover the control and pickup cavities in copper foil, make sure everything is connected. Stick everything back in, connect the shield to the ground and your good to go.

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
  6. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    DIY

I did 2 of my basses last week, very easy.

7. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Ok, I don't really know anything about soldering, but my dad does, and since my parents are visiting until Christmas, then maybe we'll tackle this job and I can learn a couple things about soldering. If not, then I'll probably call The Low End, I love to keep business in the Talkbass family. Thanks a ton guys. -Brad

8. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    +1 on corner music. Of all the music stores I've been to in Nashville/Murfreesboro area this one is the best. Another plus is that the owner is a bass player.