Who should pay shipping when pedal arrives defective?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BrettR, Jul 31, 2021.

1. BrettR

BrettR

Mar 30, 2021
    Canada
    Before I begin, as I am not in the business of slander or adversely affecting ones livelihood, so I shall keep the company anonymous.

A couple weeks ago I received in the mail a pedal from a very small pedal company that was defective upon arrival. This isn't my first pedal from this company, and the one I currently owned was one of the best I have ever used. The owner of the company was more than helpful providing information on both pedal orders.

However, when paying for this recent pedal, I got a weird vibe from him when he said he would only take direct bank transfers (different from the first order). Regardless I paid, and a few days later my new pedal arrived!
    Within minutes it was making horribles sounds that sounded like the gates of hell screeching open. Now, I know what some of you are thinking, "what pedal is this and how do I get that sound?!" Unfortunately, the pedal wasn't suppose to make that sound. So I contacted the maker and he quickly responded that I should send the pedal back. Cool. When going to Canada Post, I mentioned to the lady it was a return and she said I should do COD if I don't want to pay for the return shipping, which I was like, "sure?"

Fast forward over a week later, my defective pedal was returned and my replacement had arrived, I assumed all was good until I get a rather rude email from the maker.
    First, he wanted me to pay the COD overcharge (which I happily obliged) and then went into a rant about how he shouldn't have to pay for shipping x3, and finally, I shouldn't do business with him ever again.

So all of that to say, if you receive a defective pedal, should you the buyer have to pay for return shipping?

tldr; bought a pedal that didn't work, had seller pay for the return shipping, they got mad.

2. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    Who is this seller? I would like to avoid them.

3. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    I know you have your reasons, but I will simply state that slander only applies to untrue statements and that no one is entitled to run any business. You might just help someone else out... never know! (FWIW I have dealt with exactly one dishonest builder and gladly advertised this fact.) You are not in the wrong. Don't part with another dime.

4. BrettR

BrettR

Mar 30, 2021
    Canada
    True, but I also believe that this is a rather isolated incident as I have never heard a bad thing about this builder before. Plus, I freaking love his pedals.
    It is just sad as there is another pedal of his I want, but I guess that is off the table now.

5. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    The pedal maker is upset at a customer because that customer didn't want to have to pay extra due to the maker's mistake of shipping a defective item in the first place?

Even if the damage was caused during shipping, anyone who expects to be in business for long needs to provide the expected service to their customer at the agreed-upon price. It's up to him to either a) NOT ship broken pedals or b) take it up with the shipper. That's on him.

If he's upset about that, he shouldn't be in business.

6. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Seller should suck-it-up and eat the cost of return shipping for a defective product, period. As far as him stating to not do business with him again, I would oblige!

7. BrettR

BrettR

Mar 30, 2021
    Canada
    It is just an unfortunate situation. If it was a cheaper pedal, I could understand the frustration, but when you are paying a lot for a pedal, I feel like the custom service should be above and beyond.

8. WillyW

WillyW l’art pour l’art, fonction de baise

Dec 10, 2019
    So it was a brand new pedal direct from the manufacturer?

I guess I’m not understanding the question.

DrThumpenstein likes this.
  9. BrettR

BrettR

Mar 30, 2021
    Canada
    Correct. I ordered a pedal directly from the maker (small operation) and it arrived not working as intended.

10. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    You have a compact. You give money, the other side ships a working pedal to your house.
    This is what was agreed upon and this is how the business should be run.
    If the unit arrived defective, the compact was not fulfilled, by the other side. They still owe you a working pedal, which you paid.

I do these things professionally (people send me money and I send them things) and whenever something like that happens, I get very upset. Upset that I did not hold up my side of the bargain. I send those people a return label (which I pay, of course) and another of those things. Usually a better one, to make up for their discomfort of having to deal with that mess.

11. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I agree the seller should pay, but this should have been discussed rather than using a COD, which I would assume elevates the price. Unfortunately I suspect the seller would have refused to pay return shipping. At least you would have known in advance and could determine what you want to do.

Not really sure what sort of (if any) recourse you would have if the seller refused to repair/return the pedal. You could take him to small claims court, but that would cost more than the pedal, so probably not worth the hassle and expense.

Since you received the replacement pedal, consider yourself lucky.

Lot's of people seem to think that because they run a business, they can do whatever the want. Perhaps they got into business because they don't like being told what to do. People like this don't tend to stay in business long. A successful business must provide something of value, and will make it right when something is wrong with the product, even if it results in a loss.

12. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    This is the right way to do business IMHO :thumbsup:.

13. WillyW

Dec 10, 2019
    You need to out the manufacturer, I don’t want to consider doing business with someone like that.

Mili, OOD, Aqualung60 and 2 others like this.
  14. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Would like to know who it is so I can avoid them. PM if you would rather not make it public.

Herrick and krfoss like this.
  15. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    This is the kind of behavior that should absolutely be outed by name. Otherwise the next guy will have no clue and will actually get screwed.

dkelley, Aqualung60 and Bassgeer like this.
  16. BrettR

BrettR

Mar 30, 2021
    Canada
    What was interesting about the whole exchange is that when I responded to the primary builder about the defective pedal, he mentioned that he was just about to go away for a week on vacation and that someone at his shop would take care of getting me a different one. I appreciated this.
    Eventually I got an email from his co-worker that the new pedal was shipped, and this individual was excellent to deal with. It was when the primary builder returned and finally collected the defective one from the post office and had to pay the shipping, that it turned sour.
    For a hot spell, I was worried that the defective one was going to get shipped back to me because it was sitting at the post office for so long that I would have to pay for the return-to-me price and then resend it again.

BBassBassington and Wasnex like this.
  17. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    There's no dishonor in the truth, nor holding people accountable for their actions.

Hiding bad behavior for someone only enables further bad behavior.

BBassBassington and WillyWonka like this.
  18. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Any time I have had an issue like this (whether it be pedals or other stuff) from a small shop they have always emailed a prepaid return label.

Bassgeer and BBassBassington like this.
  19. WillyW

Dec 10, 2019
    If you get more enjoyment out of playing the victim, then don’t bother to even post about it.

20. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Who pays for the gas if you return something at the grocery store?

It’s a difficult spot for both parties. Does it say on their website that they will cover shipping on a return? From their perspective if they are a very small business they take the loss of the sale, they take the loss of 2 way shipping, and the loss of your revenge.
    What would be a satisfactory amount for a very small, hand-to-mouth business owner to give you to placate you? I wouldn’t be happy about it either way so I’m not saying you are wrong. But you could have bought in a store. You could have bought a big name product from a global retailer. I think I’d eat it if I were the buyer.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021