Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who should we know about?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 3 crotch grabs, Oct 28, 2002.

1. alright, this is kinda inspired by that monster thread "most talented blah blah blah..."

see, i realized that none of the guys i really look up to were ever mentioned in that. so, i'm gonna tell you about a few people you should check out, and you tell me about a few i should check out.

now this means NO wooten, hamm, geddy lee, etc.

here's mine:
    dan rathman of sleepytime gorilla museum and idiot flesh. great tone, really original music, you've probably never heard anything like this. he builds a lot of his own instruments as well. check out www.sleepytimegorillamuseum.com

trevor dunn... you probably heard him in mr. bungle, fantomas, with john zorn... but a lot of his solo stuff and colaborations with other crazy jazz people is incredible. www.trevordunn.n3.net

mike silverman... the fabulous hedgehogs/that1guy this dude is just nuts. i'm constantly blown away. www.that1guy.com (i think that url is right, i can't really check right now, the hamster that runs in the little wheel in the back of my computer is getting tired.)

alright, let's see what you got!

2. Check out Larry Boothroyd from Victim's Family. 'The Germ' is my personal fave, although a lotta people like 'White Bread Blues'.

Richard Bona is a great player that is just starting to get some attention.

I'm sure I could give you some others if I had time.

3. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Yes Larry Boothroyd is a great bassist! To me some of his best playing is on 'Things I Hate To Admit'.
    Check out some of the instrumentals on there :D

To add to the list I'd say Rob Wright of NoMeansNo. While not a very technical player he is very solid with HUGE booming basslines that are fun to listen to and play.

4. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    I guess none of you guys hear of Wojtek Pilichowski? He`s one of Poland`s finest bassist. Personally I don`t like his music at all, but this guy has some SICK chops - Victor Wotten level, I guess.
    I saw him live few times, and his speed and chops killed me every time. Guy`s a monster.

His cd`s are released by Sony, so I guess it`s possible to buy him outside poland. There are probably some mp3`s on his website... www.pilichowski.pl

5. The bassist from Cake and Dennis Dunnway(sp) from the early Alice Cooper.

6. hell yeah! rob wright is the man! wrong is one of my favorite albums ever.

7. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    What's great is that when I saw NoMeansNo live he had the exact same sound that he got in the studio. I think the sound waves from his bass stopped my heart a couple times too (good thing he kept playing so it would restart):D

8. Rick Denko of The Band, one of the most subversively funky bassists ever! Check out "Don't do it baby" or "Chest Fever" great fusion of folk/funk (if you can call it that)

9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I've already mentioned Reed Mathis of Jacob Fred, so I'll toss in Keith Moseley from String Cheese Incident. That band is so incredibly LOADED with amazing musicians that he unfortunately gets lost in the shuffle.

Just a fantastic bassist who is VERY tasteful and constructs his lines perfectly.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't know if you've heard of this Jaco guy... but he's great! :D

11. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    I had a groove revelation the first time I listened intently to Aston Barrett. He played with Bob Marley and the Wailers. This guy never "went off" that I know of, his lines were simple. But man was he in, around, and all over the pocket! He taught me the true power of silence and syncopation.

I don't remember what song I was listening to at the time, but right when I expected the bass to hit, he didn't play. That, my friends, is the epitome of K.I.S.S.

(Keeping It Simple Stupid)

12. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    Karl Alvarez... from the Descendents/ALL.... great bassist... he has some great chops.. and probably the greatest P bass Tone ive heard. He did play a stingray for a bit though.. But oh my.. what a tone =D

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Rick Danko passed away on Dec 10,1999

14. nativebass.t-40

nativebass.t-40

Oct 29, 2002
    phx a.z.
    mars cowling of the oat travers band this man played many styles and variations in his music.chrash and burn display his varied styles and his live work in go for what you know were nothing less than bass solos.second choice tom araya of slayer:oops:n live decade of agression.tom uses mixed tunnings from g-d-a-e- to g#d#a#E# and variations of both.......

15. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I'll second Karl Alvarez and add:

Colin Moulding - XTC
    Randy Coven - Solo, Ark
    Mike Rutherford - Genesis
    Rocco Prestia - Tower of Power
    Jason Scheff - Chicago
    Peter Cetera - Chicago
    Pete Trewevas - Marillion, Transatlantic
    Colin Edwin - Porcupine Tree

16. Dirk lance of incubus and Tim from Rage are two of my favorite bassists. Dirk has the mad skillz and laid them all out on earlier albums such as Fungus Amongus and Science. The bass parts on some of those songs are funky and cool as hell. But i also love the way he has moved into a more song supportive role but still lays down awesome parts. Tim from Rage is a straight up groove master. Little flash but tight rhythms and killer groove. These are the real working men in the shadow of the legends.
    Just some thoughts.

Later

17. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    i'll second whoever said cake....although, at least on the latest album, tracks are split roughly 50/50 between the bass player(dont know his name) and john mccrea. i think john actually writes most of the bass lines, and most of the music as well. hes in my list of 'musical geniuses', thats for sure...

18. check out Derek Blakley of Hajis Kitchen. Go to hajiskitchen.com and download the song called Free.

19. deepbob

deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    damn straight, that haji's kitchen rocks man, thanks for the heads up.