1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who sources interesting parts?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rojo412, May 11, 2010.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Over the years, I have found myself custom wiring a lot of basses and while I have some fun doing it, there are ideas that never get fulfilled... because I don't know where to find the parts.

For example, I am modding a Squier Deluxe Active Jazz V and put an OBP-3 preamp in it. On Aguilar's site, they describe how to make the mid frequency sweepable. "Just add this dual 500k linear pot and a .004 and .190 capacitor, a few 1 meg resistors for this and that and POW! Audio ectasy!"

Well, where can I find these sorts of things? Not Radio Shack... not Allparts... (guess they aren't quite ALLparts then, are they?!?!)

For that matter, take the Warwick MEC preamps with the stacked Vol/Pan WITH Push/Pull... where are those at? And John East preamps have a stacked Bass/Treb with Push pull... Even something as simple as a 2 or 3 way DPDT mini switch that can mount through a body and not just a control plate is a hard enough find.

Who carries this stuff and how do I get it? I have nutty ideas for this bass and no way to make them happen, no matter how many holes I drill!

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    M.E.C. Pickups

I'm hoping to start stocking some of these parts soon.

3. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Found a place called "Futurelec" at http://www.futurlec.com/index.shtml

They seem to have some cool stuff, including the 500k dual linear pot and caps out the wazoo...

What type of capacitor am I looking for when it comes to the preamp applications? They have mylar, ceramic, tantalum, electrolytic... what's the best for this?

4. As long as it's not a polarized capacitor, (Don't use an electrolytic...) it doesn't matter at all for this application.

5. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Any sort of advantage/disadvantage for the others?

6. The only advantages you might see are tighter tolerances, but that isn't really to do with the makeup of the cap.

I use Rapid - http://www.rapidonline.com/

For quite a few bits and bobs.

7. Like mohawk said, make sure you get a cap with a tight tolerance.
    Ceramic capacitors are known for having very poor tolerances.

Other than that, there is no difference.

8. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009
    Also, Banzai Music carries Mec pots (along with other hard to find parts):
    http://www.banzaimusic.com/MEC/

9. Hello rojo!
    Let me revive this old thread:bag:
    Ive just wired my first obp3 with switchable mids, and Id love go parametric:D killer mod!
    Been looking in aguilar support and didnt found about the capacitors for sweepable mids...
    http://www.aguilaramp.com/pdf/support_wiring_obp3.pdf

Can you elaborate or share a diagram

Thanks

10. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    It depends on how you want to set it up. (You cannot make it parametric, though)

You could wire it like a Varitone with a rotary switch that selected different caps and thus different frequencies.

You could also get a dual-gang pot and use that as a mid sweep.

Although Aguilar doesn't list it on their wiring diagram, you could potentially throw a capacitor or two onto that blend pot to increase the sweep range (only on the low side, from what I can tell).

11. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    On the last page of your document diagram #8 gives you sweepable mids between 400 and 800 Hz. They say you can use the pot shown in #8 in place of the swtiches shown in #6 and #7 to get different limits on the low mid. The capacitor values needed for that are shown in the document.

Ken