Who speaks up in your band ?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    In mine, I guess it is me. I totally pissed off 3 people Saturday night. First was the light guy we rented the lights from, which coinsidentally happens to be the lights I sold him a month or so ago, who ever hired him didn't even know the connection. To start things off, he set his crap up over my pedals and such, tangling all my crap up, and insisted on checking his stupid lights while we soundchecked....I couldn't get to my mic to check it. Anyway, on to the lights.....It's a foot controlled system, so I got the duties of running it. He had someone coming looking at them to buy them (him hoping to make a ton of cash on), so he informed me I need to make a BIG light show to impress his prospective buyer.....whatever. After about the 5th song, on his third time trying to direct me how, and when to run them in the middle of a song, I told him he could either run them himself, or let me run them....NOT BOTH. I also reminded him there was a reason I sold them, because they were a pain in the ass.

Second guy was some drunk in a plastic fireman helmet who thought he had to make random announcements acting like a moron over the PA. On his second time doing so, I mocked him pretty badly studdering like an idiot in my mic. He called me a few obscenities, and left. Easy enough.

The third guy was a "friend of the band", or so he thinks. He invited his drunk tone deaf self up to "help" sing. It was horrible, and I put up with it longer than I needed to, since he was friends with the singer. On his 4th song of the night, I finally yelled in his ear "MAN, YOU ARE ****ING EVERYONE UP!!!!!". He then had to apologize 300 times, shake my hand as I was playing, now being the "I love you man" kind of drunk. He later informed my singer that his bass player is a "prick"

One thing I learned is stop it before it starts next time. I wish someone else would say something, but I put up with it as long as I could until I said something. So who is that person in your band?
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I guess I prolly come off as a prick in the bands I've been in. I'm very picky for overall sound, how the originals are written, what covers we play, being to practice and gigs on time and such. When things don't go right, I usually address the issue by talking to everyone, and if it keeps going wrong I get more prickish about it.
    I was in one band though, where the lead guitarist was the prick (who would've EVER guessed?). Typical guitarist - wanted to show off constantly, over power everyone as much as he could, didn't listen to the other members, expected us to bow down and kiss the ground he walked on. Good guitarist and all, don't get me wrong, but he needed his ego altered, badly.
    Anyway, those are my expirences.
  3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    The second and third gentlemen pretty much sound like 'par for the course', but that lights-rental thing is a little extrardinary on a couple counts.

4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    That would be me, of course! Especially when I supply the PA. In one of the groups I play in, the guitarists are really lazy and always want to use their cheesy, cheapo combo PAs for gigs. On gigs that I feel are important, I insist on using my PA. We make a much better impression when we sound good and we can run a kick through my system. Unfortunately, my system requires more than one person to move it around and only the drummer seems to think it's proper to offer help in moving it. So, for the gig on Saturday, I spent two hours packing, loading, transporting, and unloading the PA on my own. Now, when that happens, I believe it is my priviledge to set the stage the way I want it. Then the keyboard player waltzes in and, of course, wants the space I set my equipment up in. I was NOT nice about it.

Other things that set me off:

1. Wasting rehearsal time

2. Not rehearsing outside of band practice

3. Not wanting to learn new tunes

4. Accepting poor performances

5. Guitarists that are busy noodling while there is still work to be done

6. Anyone that can't help with loading or unloading

7. Leaving the bass player with no room for his equipment or room to stand
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    AMEN! Also, don't forget these:

Forcing the musicians to learn a cover song perfectly, but you can't take the time to learn the lyrics! :mad:

Criticize the bassist for doing some double thumb noodling before soundcheck, but then you rip into a 3 minute long screaming guitar solo to "test your gear". :rolleyes:

You wrote the song. You played the song on the CD, so why do I have to show you the chords before every show? :confused:

My time is just as important as yours, if not more. If I can be there @ 3, so can you. Especially since YOU set the time to begin with.
  6. Gia

Feb 28, 2001

i HATE wasting rehersal time. and i HATE HATE HATE guitarists who won't ****ing shut up when we've made a mistake, or someone is trying to talk!!!!!!!! AHHHRG!!!

i often come across as a complete control freak and insanely bossy, but the rest of the band know that if i wasn't, they would just not get anything done.
  7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Definitely me. I'm a volume whore.
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the trick is to be assertive and nice at the same time
    not always easy to do
    one gig i did the band wasnt going to help me bring in the pa
    no sweat - i just sat down and let them know whenever they were ready - we'd bring in the pa - until then, no sound
    for the drunks it's usually good to get in with the bouncer - buy him a drink, tip him, whatever - arrange a "signal" for when it's time to come intervene. Dealing with band members is a bit harder, i try to be accomadating to a point, depending on how much i value the gig musically, friendship wise, or monatarily. I tend to be less patient when the actions of another detract from a studio or live performance, including excessive breaks, wasting time between songs, or 1/2 hour of insanely loud "getting my sound" from the guitar player before the show which invariably rushes the crowd out of the door in search of a place with volume levels more commonly found on the planet earth.
  9. Tough break...I dunno who the designated "prick" is in my band...I doubt it's me.
  10. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

prick ?? nah , you're not a prick .
    a prick always insists it's someone else's fault , never helps load or unload . they must be louder than everyone else , more of them in the monitor , etc.
    it's ok to stand up to the pricks in the band / sound crew .
    thats why i started my own band , so i don't have to deal with any BS from bandmembers ...
    now , bar owners , they are a different story ... can't live with 'em , can't live without 'em ...
  11. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    That would definately be me. 100% prick, annoying *******. yes sir, that's me. mememe. it's all me. not proud of it, it's my nature. I refuse to let things bother me too long so i'm usually the first person to speak his mind in no uncertain terms.

just pissed off one of the gp's cause of his clumbsy fiddling around. he walked out,......crybaby!

t_j: Please go easy on the profanity, thanks.
  12. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Guitarist. Same as the last four bands I was in.
  13. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I don't know if I qualify as a prick, but in my last band, I gave more than one heated devliery to our drummer and a "friend of the band" guitar player who refuse to stop playing when someone else is talking or tuning.
  14. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Drummer in the band is the "prick". I'm often the one trying to make peace out of the situation as he and the guitarist/singer often argue over every little thing.
  15. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    All of us!

We're a bunch of arrogant, self-serving, prima donnas who don't take **** from anyone!! ;)
  16. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I meant, who is the one in your band that has to deal with the outsiders causing problems, like I listed in my original post. Regardless, there is some good stuff here though too. I guess I am the prick on that front too, the others guys think I bitch too much, but I am obviously the only one annoyed by the stupidity, procrastination, and laziness.

Woodchuck, good post....man can I relate to that!
  17. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

I am the hard-ass in my band (since I'm obsessed with music). The other guys are like "I'm tired... we'll practise next time. Let's play some video games." To which I say "Guys, we only played 4 songs! Get over it!" It usually ends up with me bitching at them for being so lazy to which they say "chill out, man". Not to mention the time signature discussions:

Me: "hmm, this would sound awesome in 7/8 (plays riff in 7/8)"
    Guys: "nah, let's just leave it in 4/4"
    Me: "Come on guys, all our songs are in 4/4, and I really want to try this in 7/8"
    Guys: "No... leave it in 4/4!"
    Me: "...you lazy f***ers." :mad:
    *plays song in 4/4 with pissed off expression on face*

Sometimes being in a band is more frsutrating than fun. :meh:

If I found guys that shared my views on playing in bands, and I actually got to be in a band with them, I would die happy.
  18. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I'm not a full time prick. I become a prick in certain situations:

- When playing with a ****ty rig.
    - Incompetent soundmen (they just deserve pricky behaviour -they are silently screaming for it-).
    - Other bassists asking me for strings, picks or even to use my bass -NO WAY!- (aren't they concerned about a minimal contingency planning for a gig?).
    - Band mates with loose cables/connectors/power supplies (there's no need of advanced technical skills to keep your equipment/accesories healthy) that usually end up asking me for replacements as if I had the whole WalMart in my bag.
    - Singer looking to the back of the stage, not looking at the audience.
    - Singer not speaking to the audience when he has to.
    - Singer not studying
    - Guitarists' desproportionate volume (very usual -the "Dual Rectifier Syndrome"-).
    - Excessive GAS vs. minimal MES (Music Education Syndrome) and almost inexistent IBIMPS (I Better Improve My Playing Syndrome), mostly found in guitarists.
    - The aforementioned "I don't load nor unload any gear" rock star attitude.
    - The "I come late and leave early" rock star attitude (2) for avoiding the situation explained in the previous item.
    - Everybody looking at me when there's low freq feedback (even after years of playing they don't seem to discover or believe that voice microphones are the most likely to produce this kind of feedback).

WOW! What a list! I'm definitely a hard guy to work with. I better stop here.

19. I guess I am... Drummer has a pretty short temper though.
  20. Yaw

Feb 5, 2004
    That would definitely NOT be me. The previous bass-player of one my bands was. I'm hoping our lead-singer will take over this role, since he is 6'3" and an army guy. It is not in my personality.
    Or so I thought. Much to my surprise I turn out to be the prick in my other band telling the band that uses our rehearsing room before us to get out and tell the drunk eediots to stop tapdancing on top of the PA. I'm bad!