1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who still likes their Dr. Bass Rx Series Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by twangchief, Jul 18, 2007.

1. twangchief

twangchief Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    I've done a search so I'm not flyin' blind with this post. I've read some older posts with the Rx series cabs mentioned but lately the BL cabs seem to be the popular ones.

The Dr. Bass Rx series seems to be what I'm looking for.

Is their any long time users of the Rx series that would like to comment on their cabs?

Thanks!

2. I have had my rx 212 for at least 2 years and might be going on 3 and I use it exclusively now for all my gigs. I rarely get to push it hard any more because we have a full PA/SubWoofer setup now and it is a monitor for me. I actually have considered trading for a 1-12 to make my load even lighter, but I don't think you can get a better sounding cab that is as light and reasonably priced as the rx line. Mine still looks like new and even though I have a cheap cover for it, I have gigged all over Texas with it and even gone to Florida with it and it has held up nicely.

3. twangchief

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    So, the fact that they are made of 1/2" MDF is not a major durability issue?

4. I have a 4 ohm Dr Bass RX210 which Marc upgraded with his new "Concert Series" speakers (for free by the way). Great construction. It sounds great with my GK amp.Sort of a cross between vintage and hi fi. the tweeter is nice and smooth.It's quite portable even though I'm not gigging currently.
    B

5. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i'm kinda' curious about that myself ...
    they certainly look well made , and the price is perfect for my budget !!

anybody else have more experience with these cabinets , positive or negative ?

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Seems like that would depend more on how you treat it than anything.

I'm interested in these cabs myself.

7. twangchief

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    Even though I don't make a habit of hurling my cabs over my head and down a flight of stairs, durability is a concern. Bottomline is that everyone wants a good cab...and their money's worth. I really like the size and lightweight features of the Epifani UL2 cabs but they are way too expensive for me to justify a purchase for my occasional gigging. They do sound so nice though as I've had the pleasure of hearing Epi cabs with an Eden head recently.

Through the years my bass rig size has become smaller but I still want something that is sturdy and I'm always debating the 'Higher Price Means ==> Better' issue.

8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Aren't the Peavey cabs made with MDF? If so, those things seem to last forever. MDF is just way heavier than plywood.

9. twangchief

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    I believe so. I've owned a bunch of older Peavey stuff and it was 3/4" MDF. They really took a beating but that was years ago....and ya know, everyone is making things cheaper trying to cut more profits(...at least that's what I'm told).

MDF is heavy so I guess that's why the Dr. Bass Rx series is made out of 1/2" MDF. The Rx 115 is 39 lbs and the Rx 112 is 32 lbs! I like to have someone confirm these weights.

10. Sorry, I went to early lunch and didn't mean to ignore!!

Durability... well I am very gentle with my stuff, but it gets loaded in my trunk, on to the rock-n-roller out across festival grounds, parking lots and jammed into piles of equipment waiting to be put on stage and it has held up well enough that you would be hard pressed to tell it has been gigged.

On the other hand I don't let other people handle my equipment.

It is not delicate by any means and I think you would have to drop it quite a bit to make the fact that it's 1/2" MDF an issue. The covering it has makes it more durable than the carpeted cabs or tolex cabs I've had.

11. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

www.drbasscabs.com
    :D
    thanks for the information .

i may give Dr.Bass a call next week !!

12. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I bought an used RX115 about a year and a half ago and have been hauling it to gigs and jams that long with no issues.I also think the bedliner type coating makes it more durable than the carpet covering.It is an easy carry with the standard speaker.A few months ago I swapped the standard driver for a Kappalite 15 and now it is even lighter and has a tighter low end,although the standard driver sounds good too.

I also have an RX310 that I bought a few months ago and I really like that one,it's my stand alone cabinet now.I've played a few outside gigs with it and it puts out very good volume on its own.It's only 52 lbs. and it sounds great to me.The RX115 is now my practice,jam or cab to put under the 310 if we have to play an outside gig with no PA support.The RX115 sounds very good but the 310 cuts better in the mids.I've only had the 310 for a few months so I can't tell how it will hold up but my RX115 is at least a couple years old and it still looks new.

13. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    I owned a number of Peavey cabs. All had at least some MDF in their construction. They sounded good and very solid, but weighed like they were made of poured concrete. Oh and they were largely indestructible - bounced off the back of a moving truck, etc. I think that cab caused a brand new pot hole and just suffered a little tolex tear...

14. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Avatar is an option also. Great build quality,and you can have it at your front door within a week,plus a 10 day return policy.

15. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I've had my RX310 and RX212 for about two months and I have loved them. Last night I found a crack in the 310 that I missed out of the box. Marc is building a replacement at no cost. I haven't gigged mine yet so I am not sure on durability but they seem really solid to me. They're a lot smaller than I thought they would be, but still crank out some serious sound. I agree with whoever said they're like a combination of vintage and hi-fi sound.

16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    One year with an RX 1x12 with tweet for the small things, truck bed liner covering, and nay a problem. Showroom new.

17. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

I've had my Rx2260 (now designated 2460) for a couple of years and it's doin just fine. I have to admit I was leary about the MDF but took a chance based on reviews and others rec's. So far there has been no sign of degradation and I'm still happy with it.

Rezdog

18. I orderded the RX212 a little over a year ago and it came in damaged by DHL, oooh was I ever p%ssed off. :spit: I called Marc that same day and he issued a pickup order on it and it went back. Marc called me the next day and said he was sending me a BL 212 at no extra charge. Now that's customer service. :D I played the RX212 just to see if there was any internal damage and there was none that I could tell. It sounded great, the damage was on the outside of the cab. It looked like it had been hit with the forks on a forklift. The RX lines are built very well IMHO. Marc said there could be some bracing fractures that might not show up for a while, so he suggested sending it back. I am super pleased with my cab and the build quality is excellent in both the RX and BL lines. :D

19. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Marc built an Rx 112 for me in exchange for my Yorkville 1x15 combo (he's a yorkville fan). I use it almost all the time and I love it. :)

20. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I've had my Rx112's for a little over a year and have been very happy with them. I'm not playing out, just playing jam sessions with friends and working (very, very slowly) on a recording project with one, so I didn't want to spend a lot. After talking a few times with Marc I thought these would be a great solution.

I ended up having Marc make several changes to them so they're not the standard Rx cabinet. However, I can say I am very pleased with them. The bass is clean without being boomy, I don't keep the tweeters up very high but they don't get harsh until you really start cranking them up, and the mids are nice and smooth.

I don't usually need to turn up the amp very high, but my friend that I'm recording with uses a Fender Dual Showman that is LOUD - and he likes it that way. Unfortunately I also think it sounds great that way. After buying my 1001 RBII and these cabinets I not only had enough power to keep up with him I could overtake him if I wanted to. That seemed to be enough to get him to start turning it down to saner levels. But even at full volume they handled it without breaking up and sounded pretty nice.