Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who Still Loves the 55-94/55-02?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It seems that many TB players have grown cold on these basses lately. I know I felt that the Peavey USA Milennium and
    SC/H Bongo were better values for the money, and I still they think they are both great basses, however, I played 55-94 today it reaffirmed my high opinion of these basses. Somehow I've got to add one of these to my arsenal although I cannot do it any time soon. How many of you guys still consider your 55-94 or 55-02 your main bass?

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I have no main bass just as I have no favorite child. Well, wait a second...Dehn is my only child so technically he is my favorite by default even though the only time he writes me is when he wants money. Whew!

Anywho, I have always found my 55-94 to be my all-purpose bass. It's lightweight, very playable, and has a consistently excellent tone. I initially bought it because I wanted a Musicman style bass...but not a Musicman.

Riis

3. I use my 94-55 as my 'road' bass now... on the rare occasions that I have to check a bass through on a flight, or have to throw it in a truck over long distances. I used it as my main bass for a while, but have really grown to like a more 'true single coil' sound as of late (I've been thinking about swapping the barts for the seymours... or just trading it in for a Sadowsky).

That being said... it plays GREAT, always sounds good (if somewhat uninspired sometimes), is light and is built like a tank. It's one of those basses that doesn't particularly blow you away when you are playing it by itself, but always seems to punch through in a gigging situation.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Both are very good basses for the price. While the stock Bart setup isn't tonally my cup of tea, they are excellent for people looking for old school type tones. Lakland has one of the most playable 5 string necks out there, and very good B strings as well.

5. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    My 55-94 has been my only bass for the past few months. I like everything about it but I must admit that I have been tempted here lately to try a Nordstrand p/u or two in it and see if I like the results. I can always drop the Barts back in if not... Big fan of the 55-94/02 design here! :bassist:

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It is interesting that so many people talk about changing the pickups on these basses. I have always liked the way they sound when played in the store. I know, however, that a bass often changes when taken home or to a rehearsal. Still, I think the 55-94 is superbly constructed and its neck is extremely comfortable. I love my SR5, but when I A/B it with the 55-94, the difference in the neck and string spacing was hugely in the 55-94's favor.

7. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I dont think people are growing cold of these. Alot of people on this board play 55-94/55-02's. I just think bass players have ALOT of choices right now & this product isnt the flavor of the month anymore.

That doesnt change the fact that the 55-94 is one of the finest basses & the 55-02 is an awesome value for a great bass.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I still like and play my 55-94s. They are superb basses, much like Sadowsky in fit and finish, but a somewhat different sound. They are very versatile.

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hell I WORK for Roscoe, and I'll NEVER part with my 55-94. Awesome bass.

10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Traitor. Blow your 94 out to me at an insanely low drunk-in-a-bar price and get that Century you want so bad. DO IT NOW! ;)

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    :spit:

No.

:spit:

...trust me, the Century is gonna happen anyhow! :D

12. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    LOL.

Somehow I knew that. :) I love my 02 anyway. It's nice enough I can take my time upgrading to a 94. My only real hitch with it is it's kinda' heavy. Fantastic tone, but ya pay for it a bit if it's the only bass you play all night (but who the heck does that anymore?). :)

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I might add that Sadowsky seems to be the bass du jour right now. I have to believe that all the chat going on on here about them has boosted Roger's sales significantly. It's like country western singers. Randy Travis, Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, and now Kenny Chesney (and others) all had their seasons in the sun. Right now Sadowsky is driving the pace car. Laklands are still superb basses, easily on par with the Sadowskys. That said, I jumped on the bandwagon and have no regrets. The Sadowsky rules.

14. 0557

Apr 12, 2004
    I had a 55/94, loved the weight compared the SR5, it was lighter but the growl was not as pronouned as the EB pickup.
    I sold it and got a Bongo and haven't looked back.
    The Lakeland is great quality but to me it is overpriced.
    The 2 pickup Rays will be out soon and should add some interesting comparison.

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm glad to see the 55-94 still geneerates some passion around here. I have fought it for over a year, but I will have to save for one. I really love my Stingray and I have a Geddy Lee Jazz on the way, so it will have to come later.

16. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    ya know, I just sold off my Sadowsky. The only bass I have in the stable is my 55-02 deluxe. I put new strings on it and it just made me realize why I bought the bass in the first place. I sort of fell in love again. I've never tried the Duncan Pickups in the bass, but I like the sound of the barts. They are polite sounding when playing alone, but for some reason they fit really well into the mix. They cut pretty well, but I think I'd say they fill in all the spaces that need to filled. That's a better description for them.

17. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    I think the "coldness" came because of it's musicman pickups shortcomings on being able to sound exactly like a musicman... That became the defining point of the 02/94... I think the unique sound of the 02/94 has been judged as a poor musicman imitation when I believe that was never the goal in the first place... Step back and enjoy the 02/94's great sound... and forget the musicman shaped pickup cover. Though people have made valid points about the pickup. I think that some of the people just got the wrong idea the the defining point of the bass was its inability to be musicman and never gave the wide range of tones a shot...
    O yea and I love my 02! :spit:

18. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    that's about right. musicman is synonymous with humbuckers, so when a bass has humbuckers, the first impression/comparison that comes to mind is that said maker is copying musicman.

i have heard a few recently on some live performances and they sound fantastic. i was quite surprised actuallt. i think pino paladino used one on the queens jubilee celebration party.

19. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    I have a 55-94, Sadowksy 5 and a Mike Lull MV4...fretless is a six string Zon...oh yeah, and my old 1984 Ken Smith.

With all these basses the Lakland is still my go-to bass. I even prefer the Barto pre in it to the Aguilar in the Lull and the "Sadowsky" pre. It's all subjective though.

Man, this basses performs incredibly on stage or in the studio. I also use it to do all the in-store amp demos I travel around doing.

20. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Sane definitely nailed it. People often perceive the 94/02 as a weak Stingray imitation instead of appreciating it's unique tones. They are great sounding, well made, basses with wonderful necks and fit and finish. Everytime I play one, I want one.