1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who swears by 4?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jrmgcoolville, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Four strings

254 vote(s)
    76.7%
  2. Other number

77 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. jrmgcoolville

jrmgcoolville

Sep 24, 2006
    I went from a 4, 5, then 6 and back to a 4. Now I swear by four strings (or its octive version 8 and 12 strings).

Who else is a 4 stringer?

2. Gegatso

Gegatso

Jan 16, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    I play 4 almost all of the time....sometimes 5. Can't say I swear to anything except that it's a bass! :)

Mark

3. mellofello

mellofello

Mar 10, 2006
    I've been kicking around the idea of getting a 5-string for awhile. Then I saw a couple Vic Wooten videos on youtube.com. I think I still have a few things to learn on the 4-string. LOL

4. I went from four to five and can't see any reason to go back. It's the extra expanse of tone that I love. Getting used to the extra string was a little bit of an issue, but I got the bass the same time that I did a theater gig with really easy music and used tha to break in the new 5 string and haven't regretted it since. I now have a 5-string fretless, and 5-string fretted bass and use all the strings evenly for jazz and blues. Rock just Rocks given the extra punch of the low end! Love it! Won't go back.;)

5. I play 4s, but I think I'm getting another 5 again soon. It never held my interest before.
    While I don't swear by 4s, sometimes I swear at them.

6. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    me

7. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    5 strings are better than 4! It makes octave playing so much easier. They look better than 4's too.

8. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I play mainly fours. I have 7 basses, six 4-stringers and one 6-stringer. Next bass is gonna be a 5-string though for the Low B (my 6 is tuned EADGCF)

9. Machines

Machines

Dec 1, 2005
    Birmingham, UK
    Moderator: basschat.co.uk
    I had a 5 & 6 string. Sold the 6 and bought a 4.

I dont think I need to go any higher than what a 4 string can offer me, but occasionally like to go lower. That said - I play my 4 more often.

10. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    i like 4s. that said, ive had 3 6s so far, and i dont think im going back to 4s any time soon.

4s are really more comfortable, of course. but if i wanted comfort im a decent keyboardist as well.

11. i swear AT my 4's.....especially when i reach for that low note that isn't there.......

12. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I'm just so comfortable playing 4. Too old to learn the 5 fretboard.

G

13. For fretted, I go for 5, fretless 4.

14. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Four strings. I tune in fifths so I get more range than the average four anyway.

Well, I do have the Krappy bass with a 1-string, 2-string and 3-string neck but it doesn't get used for much other than recording.

15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I dig 5-strings.
    But I've never found one that plays as good as a 4-string.

16. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    I'm currently into 6's mainly and 5's. I need down to a low-B for some of the music we play. Other than that requirement (the music calls for it), I'd probably be ok with a 4, however, I just love the low notes and the way they go through you.

17. BassAgent

BassAgent Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    I don't swear by a string number, I have 2 4-strings and 1 5-string and I like 'em all. 5 is enough, no more, but I'm not such purist.

18. Throckmorten

Throckmorten

Aug 3, 2006
    Central NY
    I swear _at_ 4

19. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    Too old and set in my ways to play anything but a 4.If I played more than 4 I'd have to actually look at what I was playing.

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

The only time I play 4 is when a 5 isn't available, or if I'm auditioning Kevin Jones' awesome Sadowskys. I still own one 4, but I've lent it to a guitarist friend. The 5 neck is 'just right' for my hands... even vintage P-bass necks feel too narrow.

But hey, different strokes. If 4 gives you everything you need, no reason to switch.