Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who that big guy who plays for Ben Harper

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Cambass, Aug 26, 2001.

1. I know nothing about Ben Harper or much of his music but some time ago I saw a live clip of 'Steal My Kisses From You' and they had a big bloke with a 6 string bass (if I remember correctly). He was awesome! Who is this guy? Afterwards I sat there with a smile on my face thinking 'I want to do that!'. Aah, the joys of bass. :)

2. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
  3. I love his bass solo on the outtro of Steal My Kisses...great tone too.

I read the BassPlayer interview and he seems like a pretty unassuming, cool guy.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    juan nelson is
    BIG
    FAT
    BLACK
    and DAMNED TALENTED BASS PLAYER

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Even beyond his formidable bassist skills, Harper admits Nelson is "the musical genius behind the group."

Damn funny his gig used to be playing in Roger Clinton's band, the hustler's, (I mean ex-prez's), brother/hustler.

6. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    That guy is awesome

7. ive never heard him but just for his string ads in bass player you can just tell by his stature and his facial expressions that he funks it up.

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    he plays an alembic, right?

9. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    No I believe he uses a MTD, Im not sure of the model, I dont think it ever said in his interview with Bass Player.

10. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Yeah, he uses MTDs... it wasn't part of the main article, but there was a little sidebar on his basses. Ben Harper gave him his main MTD as a gift!

11. Mortland

Mortland

May 27, 2001
    He does a bass solo live in the song "Fight For Your Mind" and it is just not to be believed.

12. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Agreed, he keeps on soloing minute after minute and not once does he get out of the groove like some players can do (Mark King, anyone?). And the whole solo is a melody you can sing along with. Love it!

Unfortunately, that song is all I've heard him play.