1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WHO THINKS SO??ITHINKSO...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by millsbass5, Oct 3, 2009.

1. OK.Let's imagine this:

Some suites from Fender shows up at your doorstep.And they say,"We need you to revamp and add more options to our line of basses.And also,design a new bass to introduce into our line-up.

Here's a few things that I would do:

New colors!!!
    Different scale lengths
    Options on their electronics & pickups
    Neck-thru option

And,I would also develop a whole new bass to compete with the high-end/boutique builders.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO???

Has anyone seen the full-on custom 6er Fender built for Alien Ant Farms bassist,Tye Zamora??NICE!!!

2. Well if it was a neck-through, it wouldn't be a Fender, so that would be out. :)

I'm all for the different colors. I'm so sick of black, white, red and blue that it makes me want to buy a pink bass. :D

Options on electronics would be great. As would an option for different neck width and radius.

A passive P bass with a jazz neck!

A P bass with a quilted maple top or exotic wood.

An option for different body/neck woods on all of the basses.

3. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    Heck...I just want the exact replacement bridge on my Jazz Bass Special!!!

4. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    Add colors

5. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada

6. Yep.
    Also more color choices.

7. Bootzilla

Bootzilla

May 4, 2009
    Make a precision with a reversed P (or b), make a nice passive PJ (also with reversed P) and add some extra colours.

8. id say scale lengths,pickup options,and set in necks at least

9. and contoured heels

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If anything, I'd likely suggest a Fender semi-custom shop.

Selected body shapes, selected routing options, selected colors, neck options and they'll build the bass of your dreams in any configuration. Kind of a hybrid of Warmoth and Carvin to have the exact FENDER bass of your dreams roll off the line at a considerable markup, but still more affordable than a true Custom Shop bass.

11. MoBeach

MoBeach Guest

It would be if Fender built it ;)

I would want a P/J bass with the same Bartolini's and electronics that Pedulla uses. Along with a swamp ash body and maple fretboard I'm sure it would sound killer.

12. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    I'm a proud Fender owner. I love my American Std. P and J.

That said, I would WITHOUT A SHADOW OF DOUBT (hear that, Fender? That's guaranteed business :)) buy more Fenders if they:

-Had options for some 3rd party pickups/electronics (Nordstrand, Audere, Aero, Villex, the list goes on and on)

-Had a more extensive list of color options for non-CS models (I love the colors available on the 08 and later Americans - now expand that! People like vintage colors! Seafoam, sonic blue, and some more modern ones - candy cola, blizzard pearl, etc. were great! Now more!)

-Had options for 21 fret fingerboards (this one's huge - a lot of players feel limited by 20 frets. Offer more vintage minded lines for people who are into that sort of thing, a more modern type like the deluxe Ps and Js, and then a more middle of the road type line).

But then, maybe I'm asking too much. :)rolleyes:)

13. Sure, but I wasn't being literal. :)

Of course the nice thing about Fender necks is being able to replace them if you have a problem. I think neck through basses are awesome, but to me, that would change the whole dynamic. :)

14. how about this: a tortoise shell pickguard that actually looks like the ones from the 60's.

15. MoBeach

MoBeach Guest

It might change the dynamics but it's definitely what I prefer. I used to own a USA P-Bass but it seemed too limited. As far as cutting through the mix I don't feel they compare to G&L.

Bolt on's are fine but I would want active EQ on a P, J or P/J bass. 24 frets and an Ebony fretboard are preferable to me as well.

16. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    ^ This works for me.

I'd shy away from all the neck through, active this, Nordstrand, Villex that, and let Fender do what it does best. Build Fenders.

Some semi-custom order features would be nice. Having the ability to order up a bass with a matching headstock, or a different standard size neck (like a J with a Precison neck) would be very nice, with out having to go the full (ie. very expensive) Custom Shop route. A simple stock type Jazz bass with a Precision neck, or vice versa, shouldn't be a $3000+ bass, or a matching headstock.

Save that other stuff for the boutique builders. Fender should just stick to building Fenders, and give us a little more leway with finishes, and simple options. Think Special Order vs. full on Custom Shop.

17. Why would I want a suite from Fender? A single room is fine for me.

But I'd like to see Fender make a bass that wasn't a re-run of everything they've built for the past 50 years.

18. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    I'd just have them do everything Fender Japan is doing.

/rimshot

19. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    I would answer the door naked, at that point i think my input would be done.

20. I'd like:

American standard PJ in 4 and 5 strings
    Option to have a reverse P pickup on all basses with a p pickup
    Option to have a precision or jazz neck on all precision or jazz
    Blocks and bound option
    5 strings fretless
    and everything accessible for lefty (I mean all righty stuff being made in lefty too, finishes included)

I think that's not that big to ask and very doable.