1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

who thinks the "new era" tobias are heavily overpriced/overrated?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diego, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
  2. I haven't heard many good things about 'em, so I don't think they're overrated.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Perhaps by overrated he means in the companies eyes.

4. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    You couldn't say it better....that is exactly what I meant.;)

5. I have no knocks for them. However, for my needs I can think of many ways to better spend 5 grand.

6. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    Definitely overpriced...I would much rather have an MTD made by Mike Tobias himself...and the new Gibson Tobias basses are more expensive!

7. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    +10

8. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    +100

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

+1. In fact, I haven't heard ANY good things about them. For that money and quite a bit less there are many "proven" choices out there. Given the track record on these "post-Mike" basses, I wouldn't. YMMV

10. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA

Has anyone heard them/played them? seems to me that they are not better than your handmade luthier boutique bass, yet they are a lot more expensive. Compare them to Keith Roscoe's work for example, for half the price!

11. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I'd like to hear from someone who has actually PLAYED a Gibson Tobias, because it seems the only distaste for them is based purely on assumption and hearsay.

I have a mid-90's Growler, which is touted as their cheap bass. It is an awesome piece of work. I would love to A/B one of the more expensive ones with an MTD someday.

12. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Well...I think this instrument is not from the "reissuing" of all the tobias modesl in 2003. I was thinking about these basses (the 2003 version). I have nevere, ever, seen one in person or heard any comment about them or far yet...knowing that someone that has purchased one...so the debate is still on. I agree with you that a side by side comparison between a Mike Tobias made MTD vs. a new era Gibson Tobias would be quite interesting. I have never questioned their workmnaship or overall quality. I just think they are ridiculously overpriced. ($5000 for the bass in the first post of this thread vs aprox. $3500 for a bass made by the man himself....mmmm what to do...though choice isn't it?

13. (Taking off "Roscoe Hat")

I've played 'em. They aren't worth what they are charging. Not even close.

They aren't worth HALF that.

They aren't worth HALF of THAT, in my opinion...

:scowl:

14. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I was in Nashville shortly after they announced the new Tobias line and actually noodled around on a number of them at the Gibson store (though never plugged any of them in). My first impression was clearly sticker shock - for what they were asking for these basses, I immediately got very high expectations. I've drooled over MTD 535s for a long time and was skeptical that the Gibson Tobiases would be any better for the extra dough. My experience with them is very similar to experiences I've had shopping for Fenders at GC. Their QC was all over the place, with noticable imperfections in fit\finish (eneven frets, marred fingerboards, tops not that great) - moreso in some basses than others. Some were pretty good, but generally they were just average. Certainly no where near MTD quality and IMHO only worth about 1/3 the asking price). I also found that these basses had been beaten up a bit - very poor setups across the board, obvious wear and tear from being on the showroom floor, etc. Even if I felt I had to have one, it wouldn't have come from the Gibson Store. When I think of the alternatives out there for the same\less money (MTD, Sadowsky, Ken Smith, etc.), it is almost comical...

15. I think they're so expensive because they're made with really high-class material.

That thing is damn sexy though.

16. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Still, would you rather have this or 2-3 Valentis? :p

17. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    First of all, that bass IS beautiful! Damn! Even if it fell apart in 10 minutes, it's quite a looker.

Second, people around here are way to happy to spread second-hand, third-hand, and internet rumor as fact. Unless you've played a new Tobias recently or owned one, you don't know. Don't forget that a Gibby Toby from one year ago might be WAY different that one today. Maybe they got their act together.

Third, even if Gibby makes these, the design is Michael's. It's classic, functional, and beautiful. Those that have oldies know how great they sound and play, so the potential for that is still there.

Fourth, Musician's Enemy Private Reserve prices are generally high compared to a lot of the dealers that are well-respected by TBers. AND Gibson likes to price their axes on the high side -- so add it up, and you have a recipe for Big Buckos.

Fifth, Gibson is REALLY the reason most folks diss the new Tobys. And I can't blame them. Gibson has got some real problems when it comes to arrogance and corporate policy. But if you want a Les Paul, a Jr., a 335, or a Johnny A, they (the custom shop) can still deliver the goods. Not that it's cheap. Plus, Gibson has a really sh*tty rep for their basses (forgive me Thunderbird lovers). It's never been their area of expertise. And TB tends to love the boutique-style over the corporate. Personally, I'd stay away from the Toby, but that's no reason to trash an instrument that you've never played. Maybe we can get a few folks who have some first-hand experience with some recent models.

In any case, that bass is pretty enough to make me want to start playing a 6.

Not really. ;)

18. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    $5K and the best they can do is put on a Rosewood fretboard! The Birds Eye maple on my Carvin looks 1000% better! I guess you are paying for those Ebony knobs!

19. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    And if you like spalted type wood, would you pay $5K for the
    Tobias (picture below)

[​IMG]

or $2600 for this beautiful Skjold (picture below)?

skjold_ec4_spbw_bodyside.

20. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Agreed.. Have a local dealer who has several that (not surprisingly) have never sold... They're freakin' boat anchors too!!! Shoulder killer!!