Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who to tour with Pino Palladino!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by chucko58, Jun 28, 2002.

1. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    According to Pete Townshend's web site, the Who tour will start at the Hollywood Bowl on Monday 7/1, with Pino Palladino on bass. The Las Vegas and Irvine (CA) dates will be rescheduled.

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I think they should tour as "Daltrey and Townshend" (kinda like Page and Plant) or something, and not as "The Who".

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Cool. Pino's probably feeling like Victor Bailey right now, but he'll do justice.

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Well, there's no replacing Entwistle, but Palladino's probably as good a choice as there is, especially since he and Townsend have worked together before ("Give Blood"--ouch!).

Who's playing drums--is it Simon Phillips?

5. :mad: :mad: :mad:

NOOOOO!

they should have got several bass players to play as a tribute eg. Billy Sheehan, Geddy Lee etc.
    wishful thinking, I suppose, with all the logistical problems that would be involved.

other than that they should have cancelled the shows.

Pino Palladino seems an odd choice- has he ever used a distorted tone, or any kind of aggressive bass sound?
    to me he represents bland (IMHO) 80's pop fretless playing.
    (for the record I like Mick Karn and Jaco, and also David J's fretless playing with Bauhaus/Love & rockets)

couldn't they have got John Paul Jones to do the tour?

6. Ever heard D'Angelo's Voodoo? There's nothing bland, '80s, pop, or fretless ( :D ) about it. It's more Bootsy/Jamerson than anything else--earthy, earthy, earthy. And really, in the early days, that's what the Who were all about. (They didn't call their box set 30 Years of Maximum R&B for nothing.)

No, he's not the most obvious choice, but I doubt that Tony Levin was the most obvious choice to fill in for Chris Squire on the Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe tour in '89; it just happened that Bill Bruford was very comfortable playing with him, the two men having spent 4 years in King Crimson and then 3 years playing fusion together.

About JPJ: he's probably not interested in playing other people's music these days. Plus, I think his band is going on tour this fall, and even though he's in amazing shape I doubt he'd want to do the marathon tour thing at the age of 60(?).

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Pino Palladino seems like an obvious choice, actually. He's worked with Townshend quite a bit, more than just on White City. He's known well by the band, and more than capable. I do hope, however, that his tone sticks out. When I saw him play bass on Townshend's solo tour (where English Boy was played...can't think of the name of the CD), Palladino couldn't be heard.

As for Sheehan, I personally think it to be a very bad choice. I lost respect for Sheehan when he openly criticized Entwistle's playing in an article he wrote for a guitar magazine back in the '80's.

And, of course, Geddy Lee's a bit busy with his own band's activities, right now.:D

8. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I don't know who Pino Palladino is, but I'm convinced the Who should just hang it up. (Actually, they should have hung it up after Keith Moon's passing.) Perhaps a Townsend and Daltrey thing would be palatable, but the Who are dead...long live the Who. :(

9. Pino is a great player but to replace J.E. I don't see it.

I think they should pack it up.

10. really?
    that's a surprise, as in the John Entwistle interview from Guitar Player (from 1989) that's in the Bass Heroes book, he says that Billy Sheehan had written a fan letter to him...
    Sheehan also mentions J.E. as an influence in his tuition videos......odd that he should criticise him....

anyway, The Who should definitely call it a day after this tour.
    apparently there's been a lot of pressure from the promoters on Daltrey and Townshend to complete the tour.

11. Rien

Rien Guest

Oct 6, 2001
    Dreamland.
    I agree. That would have been better. But like you said, impossible.

This will be very odd, without Entwistle. Will it even be the Who?

12. think McCarthey could do? :confused: naa

13. The Who always carried a scare from Keith Moon's death in 1978. Now, they are officially dead.

At first, I couldn't believe they would ever go on tour again. But, having heard statements from the Daltrey, Townshend and Entwistle's family, the tour will become a tribute to John. Now, I believe that's a wonderful idea. The main theme of the whole shows will be the Ox. Go and check out the article on MTV's and VH1's website. They have testimonials from numerous people (the band members, family, Claypool, JPJ, etc.)

The Who is dead. But, their music and legacy will forever live on. Same goes for Mr. John Entwistle, my hero.

P.S. Ringo Star's son, Zak Starkey is the band's current drummer. After their last tour in 2000, the 3 members considered him as an honorary member of the Who, because he was the best drummer they have had since Moon. Plus, Keith was his biggest influence and mentor growing up, not his dad :). John “Rabbit” Bundrick is their keyboard player since 1979.

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    ditto. a very strong ditto.

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have mixed feelings about this one! I love Pino's playing and I know he will do a great job, but I've seen bands cancel tours because the singer has a sore throat.....I think they should just give it a little more time before going back out. It's kinda like somebodys wife boinking the best friend a day after the funeral.....they can't need the money that bad!......and this IS about the money!

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I read the article myself. I wish I could be more specific with which magazine it was. Sheehan stated that Entwistle was sloppy with his right hand technique, never anchoring his hand in one place.

No kidding.

17. Curt

Curt

Mar 19, 2000
    Kankakee, Illinois
    I agree with hitman in that continuing the tour as a tribute to John is a good idea.

Just don't call it The Who.

The Who died with John on Thursday.

I met the man. I saw him play. No one will ever be able to replace the incredible John Entwistle.

18. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, that's true about Jack Bruce also.
    BUT, that does not take anything away from their greatness and I doubt Billy intended to do that.

19. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    But that's just dumb. Who cares? Technique is just a tool to create music; it's not an end in itself. To my mind, Entwistle created more music worth listening to than Sheehan has, so whether his technique is sloppy or not is irrelevant. Besides, who says you're *supposed* to anchor your hand in one point?

Now, if the question was, should an aspiring player try to imitate Entwistle's technique, I can see where Sheehan might have a point. That's probably not how you'd want a student to learn right off the bat. But when you're talking about a grown-up with a fully developed technique (however idiosyncratic) who's obviously making strong music with it, it seems silly to quibble about it.