Who tweaks their own truss rod?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassanddrums, Feb 10, 2009.

1. I tweak

212 vote(s)
    90.6%
  2. I have someone else tweak for me

7 vote(s)
    3.0%
  3. It depends

15 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. I know how but NEVER readjust....

Why?

I own a fleet of basses.. I also know folks at a store very well.

One of my basses are always in getting the neck realigned...

At one phase in my life I used to teach techs on how to do this.

I do EVERY thing else..

My Luthier charges me $5 to do each bass.. I string it.. all he does is get it straight.. I then pick it up and set heights and intonation.

For $5 it's not worth the risk.. It's also worth it to have a trained guy helping me keep the fleet in good shape.

This helps me ensure that all of them get inspected every year by a 3rd party.

I'd say.. see what someone that does it all the time will charge to only set a truss.

T.

2. Here? The dude charged me $120 for for a new nut (admittedly carved from bone, but still...) and to "teach" me how to adjust the truss, action and intonation (I did learn a bit, but for the extra $50 it wasn't a proper lesson). It played really well though. But after that I decided I can't afford to let anyone else touch my bass and prefer to do it myself to save time and money.

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    MORE LIKE WHO DOESN'T

AMIRITE??!?

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    When I buy a new instrument, I almost always bring it to a shop for its first set-up. That usually gets it close, sometimes very close. If the set-up needs any fine tuning afterward in order to get it perfect, i.e. truss rod, action, intonation, etc., I can usually handle that.

Stuff like filing or replacing the nut, leveling the frets, etc. I won't do myself. It's required so infrequently anyway, that there's little downside in taking it to a pro luthier to make sure the job is done right.

Adjusting the height and/or angle of the pickups is something I could probably do myself, though as yet I've never had the need. I just make sure it gets done - if necessary - during the initial set-up.

MM

5. HelloJerk

HelloJerk

Dec 28, 2008
    La Jolla, CA
    The reason I would not recommend that anyone do their own adjustments is because if and -- more to the point -- when they mess up their bass, I do not want them to blame me.

This is the same reason I would not adjust anyone else's bass -- I do not want to take on any liability (real or perceived).

BUT [wink, wink]I do most of my own adjustments.[/wink, wink]

6. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    I adjust my own because I don't have money to pay someone else to do it.. I don't have terribly much experience so I'm HELLA careful when I do it.

7. I really recommend you read some of the threads in this Setup/Repair forum. Try a search for 'neck relief'.

8. HelloJerk

HelloJerk

Dec 28, 2008
    La Jolla, CA
    I would hate to tell someone over a thread in an internet forum (especially someone I don’t personally know, and who could be completely unaware of their own lack of mechanical ability) to adjust the truss rod on their bass. In fact, there are a number of things that I wouldn’t advise people to do over a thread on an internet forum because I don’t know to whom I am giving advice. I understand that adjusting the truss rod on a bass is not difficult. I adjust the truss rods on my basses. I support anyone in their decision to adjust their own truss rod, but if someone were to mess up their bass based of my advice I would feel like crap. :bawl:

I have read through some of the threads in the Setup/Repair forum on TalkBass, and I have seen some advice given that, if followed, could damage an instrument.

I continue to stand by my claim that if you are not sure of your own ability to adjust the truss rod on your bass, you might be better off taking your bass into a reputable tech who will guarantee his/her work.

9. I can agree with that.

I can not agree with that.

Mixed signals.

10. HelloJerk

HelloJerk

Dec 28, 2008
    La Jolla, CA
    Semantics.

11. If semantics means "almost reversing your original statement".

12. bassanddrums

bassanddrums

Nov 28, 2008
    Calm down, men to your corners

13. I'm sure more than a few have ruined a neck on this site...

14. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Quote:
    If you can screw in a light bulb, you can adjust your truss rod.

Yes, it is that simple. The difference is the truss rod doesn't light up, you have to actually LOOK at the neck to see if it needs to be turned some more. Both will break if you turn them too far. What don't you understand?

15. HelloJerk

HelloJerk

Dec 28, 2008
    La Jolla, CA
    I would not recommend (over a thread in an internet forum) that anyone (anyone who would ask about this over a thread in an internet forum is probably not sure of their ability) do their own adjustments.

I hope these clarifications make my original statement more palatable.

No hard feelings JustDavid, but I would just feel horrible :crying: if someone ruined the neck of their bass because I told them to tweak the truss rod. If you don’t feel the same way…

16. kevin_n

kevin_n

Mar 30, 2007
    Pssst. Read comment #21.

I'm a little dense sometimes, too :p

17. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    People might be unsure of there ability because posters can make it seem like a much harder endeavor than it is. Be very cautious but don't be afraid. Go slow, be precise and don't go too far. It's very nice to be able to setup your own bass/basses.

18. One of the most fun and interesting projects was the recent replacement of a pre-amp in a bass. There's a great sense of accomplishment (and pride) to doing your own work.

19. I usually always do mine.

Unless I'm having something installed on my bass, then I'll just ask for a setup

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021