1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who unloads the truck?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by OriginalCrash, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Out of curiosity, when a trucking company delivers a shipment, who's responsibility is it to unload? The driver? Or the receiver?

Brian

2. It has always been the driver in my experience

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    In my experience it's always been the reciever. That's talking about 40fter palletised deliveries to warehouses.

4. It's been a mix in mine. A lot of times the driver unloads the truck. Sometimes he literally just walks in, opens the truck/trailer, and then sits down for the rest of the time. Other times it's a cooperative thing. I was just wondering if there's any official rule to it, or even if it just depends on the carrier.

Brian

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I never really held to any rules. If the driver was a nice guy, I had no problems helping out.

I worked for a company where we received 20-30 shipments per day. If it was a one time deal to my house, it would be on the driver in my opinion.

-Mike

6. I guess it could be cos I'm a woman that the driver has always done the hard graft for me.

7. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Sometimes the driver, but every now and then you get a jerk who won't do anything. But usually I helped the guy.

8. The driver. I would think insurance companies would demand this.

9. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    By both Department of Transportation and most insurance regulations, the driver is responsible for the freight up to the end of the truck. After it leaves the tailgate of the truck it becomes the receivers responsibility (both legally and in actuality). The reverse hold true when the truck is being loaded.

In real life, the rules are all over the place. Most large commercial warehouses load and off-load trucks themselves, simply to expedite the process. There could also be contractual language between the shipper and transporter that requires the shipper/receiver to do the loading/unloading, especially when the goods are bulky or difficult to handle.

10. Well, in my 5+ years experience in a couple companies, it was always the reciever...unless it was a vehicle that could not dock properly with the unload area.... but that was a rarity.

I was always the one with the forklift anyway...

11. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I always thought it was specified in the contract. When I was a hotel manager, our large purchases of furniture etc always specified it was our resp. to unload.

Our regular food and soap vendors always delivered into the building, per the contract

12. I always thought that seemed to make sense. As you said, though, I wonder how many times it actually works out that way. I can just see the driver and receiver handing off the pallet jack each time... Or better yet, taking turns getting in and out of the forklift. :smug:

Brian