Who used the POST-EQ balanced out on your amp for recording????

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by johnnycat42, Feb 11, 2009.

1. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    OK, I have been doing all kinds of testing of different equipment in preparation of doing a home recording project for my new band. <<<FYI--It needs to be good enough that we MAY take the tracks and lay vocals and mix them at a pro studio>>> So I need good usable tones, preferably colored since I dont know if I will be able to reamp later.

In all the testing, I tried sending the POST EQ signal from my GK700RBII direct to the board. It sounded OK but still cant beat out the SANSAMP or MXR M80 IMO. So that leads me to this, who here uses the POST EQ balanced out on their amp direct to the board for recording? How does it work? Should I be able to get a good sound from my amp when :help: recording direct?

2. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx
    I tried the post EQ DI from both my 1001 and BL600.

IMO a dedicated DI will sound much better. The BL600 was distorted no gain control for the DI). The 1001 was OK, but the SBDDI was much better than either.

3. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, I have not been able to get a good recording sound that way either :)

4. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I have done it using the Ampeg SVT4 Pro. The real trick in getting it right is to record multiple tracks.

I used 3 tracks of bass when recording:

1) Pure direct signal from my bass into the board
    2) Post EQ DI from back of amp
    3) Mic'd cabinet

5. I have the same head as you (700rbII) and I used to record with the post-eq, but now I like it much better to track with the pre-eq mode, and then run the track through an amp sim in post (or at the very least a light compressor, parametric EQ plugin, and a cabsim sometimes). I love the GK "sound" through my cab, but it lacks depth straight in. I imagine the best solution would be for me to buy a decent mic, and record the cab miced along with the PRE-EQ sound, and mix them together.

6. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Yep, I find the GK sounds great through the cab. It sounds OK POST but maybe I will try PRE to see how it works. Thanks for your input.

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    IMO - recording POST EQ is a problem... I much prefer to record flat and EQ in the context of everything else ... it's the pop guy in me I guess.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021