Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who uses a 115 and 210 together?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 'JC', Feb 13, 2005.

1. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    I'm curious as to how popular this setup is and what the general consensus is from TBers.

A 15 with a 210 and head or 210 combo powering the 15.

If anyone uses a rig like this, can you tell me what amps you're using and what the power ratings are? Also if you play with a band, how does it cut through - especially versus two 410s or a 115/410 stack.

Thank you.

2. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    210/115 seems to be a pretty popular, I would think. So is 410/115... which is what I currently am running with Ampeg BXTs.

I'm happy with the sound of both cabs together... but I really dont like them separated. The 10's really dont put out the low end... even when I load the cab up with 1000Watts.... it just isnt enough. And when the 15 is by itself, I dont cut through at all... but I suppose that's better than not being felt in the low end. However, with both cabs together, getting 450Watts a piece, I feel as though I can hit the sweet spots with a little bit of basic EQing.

A 210 would probably give you similar results... and the portability of a 210 over a 410 has to be a major plus.

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    One of two ways:

2X10 + 1X15 Mesa Powerhouse cabs

or

2X10 + Buster 200 1X15 combo

Either way it is a great combo of cabs!

4. I run a Peavey Combo 300 (1x15 Black Widow) and an Avatar B210 Neo extension (gives me the full 300 watts at 2 ohms).

Sounds fantastic (the bottom end of the BW 15 is something the entire band likes), and I have had no problems cutting through the mix as well as providing a big bottom end. This is against two guitars...one running a full stack.

My rig (and the new G&L L2000) does just fine with this setup. I must say that the Avatar 2x10 is a VERY nice addition to the EQ...very punchy with great frequency coverage to balance the 1x15.

Cheers,
    Jay

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I started using the 2-10"/1-15" cab setup around last Christmas; I really like how the cabs work together, and they put out a good amount of volume. Power-wise I use a Crest CA-9 power amp that's rated at 550 watts at 8 Ohms in stereo mode ; one channel powers a Bergantino HT210 cab, the other channel powers a Bergantino HT115 cab.

- Art

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I run a GK 1001RB 2x10 combo with a 1x15 RBH cab under it.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    before the recent popularity of 12" cabs, if you looked thru a few years worth of bass player magazine and paid attention to the rigs the artists were using, you'd find that almost 1/2 used a 10+15 rig. in this poll with over 80 votes, around 17.5% of TB members said they were using tens and fifteens. Overall it's a great combination. I strongly reccomend running both cabinets full range rather than using a crossover and bi-amping them (sending highs to the 2x10 and 1x15). It tends to sound a lot fuller running full range thru both speakers. And, like has been mentioned already, using two cabinets with different voicings can sound much better than either cabinet alone.

8. Ashdown Mag 2x10T Combo on top of a Mag 1x15 DeepCab.

Marvellous! :) :)

Combo as stand alone for rehearsal and small/jazz gigs . Add the 1x15 to move some air.

QED ;) ;) ;)

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I did until recently. I downsized my 1x15 to a 1x12. Don't think I lost much if anything. I feel I have more projection with the 1x12. The 1x15 will give you more rumble if anything. I'd much rather hear clean low notes. This is just my opinion.

10. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Overkill?

Attached Files:

11. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000

I've thought about getting an Ashdown rig like this in the meantime for the value and because I need a rig for gigging right now. How do you think this would do with two guitarists - both who use full stacks (2 410s and a head)

12. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I've just started using Eden D210T + D115T rig after gigging with a 410 quite a bit. I like how the 210 sits up higher and adds clarity.

The 410 Goliath II I have has solid bottom, but I can't hear the same kind of clarity from it.

I've never tried the 410 with the 15...seems like the 410 wants more power than the 210 + 15 combination...plus the stack give me 4 ohms vs the 410's 8 ohms.

13. bassbluestew

bassbluestew

Feb 13, 2005
    For a long time I used an Ampeg SVT3pro thru Ampeg 2x10 and 1x15 classic cabs and it sounded great. The 2x10 on its own just didn't work tho' - but the 2 cabs together were marvellous !

14. I used this setup with a 76 SVT up until 5 days ago. I sold the two cabs and got a 610HLF, and never looked back. I didn't like the way the cabs worked together...

15. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I use a Mesa powerhouse 2x10 and 1x15 with a Ampeg svt pro 4. It can fill a room with punchy solid bass and still fit in my wife’s Neon.

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

One of my favorite gig rigs is 1x15 + 2x10 (Bergantino). Very portable, huge tone, cuts through great. I use a couple of different preamps with a Stewart World 2.1 pushing it (that would be 650 watts from one channel, or 2100 watts bridged mono).

17. This has been a revelation to me in the last month.
    I've been running 2x10 & 1x15 for the last 11 or 12 years,
    and I've been bi-amping the whole time. Never satisfied
    with my tone, always searching for the "magic" piece of
    equipment to get the tone I've always wanted.
    After switching from a Carvin PB500 head a little over a year ago,
    to a BBE BMax preamp, and Soundtech PS802 power amp
    (400 watts per side), I thought I was getting close.
    Last month I started messing around with switching cab placement.
    I started a thread about it in this forum. Anyway, it was suggested
    to run both speakers full range. I messed it up by trying to add
    effects and such.

But last night I finally GOT IT! No more bi-amping,
    no more effect units, no more wimpy tone! Now I can feel
    the power of this speaker combination. It's great bottom, but
    with plenty of clarity. I know I'm going on and on, but like I said,
    it's been a revelation! So to answer your question, even though
    I now feel like this is a good combination of speakers, I'm saving
    up to dump them both and get a Schroeder 1210 to do it all
    in a smaller, lighter package.

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    +1 :cool:

19. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    Very nice! The reason I myself am going for a 115+210 is just that - trunk space. I drive a 2+2 coupe.

Anyway as stated earlier, I was considering an Ashdown rig based on price. ( I need a rig for live gigs by Mid March!)
    A MAG 210 Deep, MAG 115 Deep and MAG 300 amp which would all be under 900 together.

I've used one Ashdown MAG head before (through an Ampeg Classic 115) and was impressed at what it was capable of for such a "cheap" unit. Unfortunately the people who owned it didn't care for it and I found out the hard way the fan was not working. Thus not the best experience at trying out new gear.

The fact I can't try out a new non abused Ashdown rig bugs me.
    I don't know of any local dealers that carry them.
    (I'll call more on Monday)

However I also found this GK package on musicians friend which most GC's would probably have:

700RB-II powering a 210SBX and 115SBX.

[​IMG]

I don't have much experience with GK, but know their reputation seems to be more popular than Ashdown's.

I'd consider a SWR Workingman stack if it wasn't for the fact I can echo the sentiments of others that the reliability and quality of these can be dissapointing at times based on my short time with a SWR WM 410.

Can anyone give me some feedback on these two possible rigs though - the Ashdown and GK?

20. I've used a Mag 2x10T Combo and a Mag 1x15 DeepCab for some time now and it has never missed a beat. Truly versatile too as I can use the Combo alone for rehearsals and jazz gigs.

Unbeatable value for money IMHO.