Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who uses a 2X10 plus 4X10 stack? Your opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bazzanderson, May 26, 2004.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm thinking seriously about this set up. Yes...BTW I have done a search and didn't find anything regarding a 2X10 plus 4X10 stack :)

If any TBers use this set up let me know whatcha think. Thanks in advance.
    -Bazz-

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    what do you want to hear? :eyebrow: its a loud and flexible setup. ive got an epifani 410 and 210 that ive only hooked up both at the same time in my house because its louder than anything id need for my playing situations. but, it sounds amazing :D

3. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Cool. Yeah...I imagine with 60" of cone moving it could pretty loud. I'm playing a 2X15" right now that's just not cutting through volume/tone wise against my two guitarists marshalls...so that's what I'm hoping to achieve...keeping good bass tone (plus mid and high mid) but increasing my volume level.

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    what amp are you using? when i was playing rock with a guy who had a marshall half stack with everything cranked, my eden just didnt cut even with the 6 tens. the smr head i had worked better since it had a lot more upper mids.

5. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm using an old (1997) but in great shape Hartke 3500 which is only 350 watts at 4ohms. I've used this amp with a friends SVT 8X10 a few years back and it was most definitely able to keep up with two guitarists...although one was using a combo and the other was using a dual rectifier. I'm hoping the amp is loud enough....
    -B-

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The most important question is, "what are the impedances of the cabinets?" If both cabs are 8 ohms, they'd combine for a 4 ohm load which is compatible with almost every amp. If one is 4 ohms and the other is 8, then the load would be 2.67 ohms which only compatible with some amps.

I often run a 4 ohm 3x10 and an 8 ohm 2x10. Sounds great. I like having a taller stack which comes closer to ear level, and I never get PA support so the volume increase is a good thing.

I run these cabs two ways: either in parallel from one channel of my amp, or each cab from a separate channel of my amp. The advantage to the latter is that I can adjust the volume of each cabinet, or (as I did last gig) run a stereo signal (clean/dirty in my case). But levels on the two cabs appear equal even when running both from the same channel.

Note: I could not bridge my amp into both cabinets, because 4 ohms is the minimum load for bridging. However each channel of the amp can take a 2 ohm load so it's OK to run both from one side.

7. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Both cabs are 8ohms for a total of 4ohm load on my Cab...which means I'll be putting out the max 350 watts into these cabs.

8. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    6 10" speakers will give you a surface area of about 600 inches as opposed to the 450 inches of the 15s. However, the gap is much narrower than that due to the size of the disproportionately large dust cap on smaller woofers vs. those on 15s as well as the nature of cones. However, you'd find that with a lot of little speakers, you'll have a much higher motor strength and thus more slam and mids than the equivolent large speaker system.

I don't really like the idea of a 2x10 with a 4x10 since it might be difficult to properly distribute the wattage, but if you can make it work for you, it should be significantly louder than the 2x15". Such a system would be very practical since you can easilly break it up. If possible, I'd recommend getting a 2x10 that can handle the same amount of power as the 4x10 and then bridging them together... that way you won't overpower the 2x10 or underpower the 4x10. Either way, 350 watts would probably be acceptable for any 2x10/4x10 combo, but you want to keep your options open for a possible new poweramp/head.

9. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    "I don't really like the idea of a 2x10 with a 4x10 since it might be difficult to properly distribute the wattage, but if you can make it work for you, it should be significantly louder than the 2x15". Such a system would be very practical since you can easilly break it up. If possible, I'd recommend getting a 2x10 that can handle the same amount of power as the 4x10 and then bridging them together... that way you won't overpower the 2x10 or underpower the 4x10. Either way, 350 watts would probably be acceptable for any 2x10/4x10 combo, but you want to keep your options open for a possible new poweramp/head."

Gotcha. Yeah...I'll have to figure out what to do about either not overpowering the 2X10 or underpowering the 4X10. Good advice. Thanks, all of you who have answered so far.
    -Bazz-

10. flury

flury

May 21, 2004
    Hope you dont mind me cutting in here. If so, just say and Ill delete. But I have a Hartke 4x10 now being pushed by a Hartke 7000. Since it is a biamp I want to add another cab to it. The debate is a 2 x 10 or a 1x15. The 4 x10 would be the low frequency and the new cab would take care of the highs.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I thought about that setup, but decided to run 2 4x10's.

12. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I had an Eden Metro (2x10 combo) and I would throw an SWR Goliath III (4x10 box) under it for larger shows. I really liked the way it sounded.

13. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    how about adding a 210 to your existing 215? That'd be one killer set up. 610's = 471 square inches of cone area, the 210/215 set up gives you 510.25 square inches of cone area. The 10's will add the punch and cut and the 15's will bring the low end grunt and chest thump. I use an Eden D215xlt and an Eden D410T together and it's phenominal, all the low end, punch, thump, and volume I'll ever need and more. My set up has a little bit more surface area then an 810 and will kill any 810 cab. Anywho, I would just say add a matching 210 cab to your existing 215, I think it will give you great results.

Peace
    -Ben

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Another Metro user here......added a 410XLT a couple times for some increased volume. Very impressive.....very.

What made it better was when added a 115XLT one time. That was amazing.

-Mike

15. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I've thought about doing this myself.

I currently have a GK 700RB 210.
    It suits me fine for now (I'm not playing in a
    huge venue - small church).

However there has been talk about my church moving into a larger place. So I thought why not use the "line out" of the combo and run it into a decent power amp powering a 410 RBH below? Hey I think it would work. As for the issues of which cab would draw more power might prove to be a hassle.

To avoid this hassle it would be much more cost efective to go and buy a 610 (eg. goliath senior, bergantino, etc. - they're out there). otherwise you'd be looking at buying power that supplied to cabinets with major differences in power requirements (which limits you down the road).

If you still wanted to go this route your best bet, like flury's setup, is to do a bi-amp (having one amp controling each cabinet).

16. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX

17. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    My 215 has the kick back rollers, so it's easy to get around, weights 100lbs, so it's easy to weild around. The 410 is 90lbs and has wheels, I put it on it's side ontop of the 215 because it's the same height as it is wide. Plus I'm 20 so it isn't a problem for me yet to haul them around. Both my cabs are 8 ohm though. Ever think of swapping out your amp for something that can handle a 2 ohm load? I don't know how pheasable that is for you or how much you have to spend, but I think you may just be happier with something that can handle 2 ohms, give you room to change it up in the future as well. You could sell yours and put that towards the new head and only have to dish out a little bit more. Once again I don't know how pheasable that is for you.

Peace
    -Ben

18. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'd love to get a new head but seeing that I just got a new SUB 5er my wife would raise some eyebrows at a new (or used) head. The cab I can pass off as a "trade" ahemm....plus the cabs I'm looking at are pretty inexpensive, more so than a new (or used) head.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    On the occasional outdoor gig, I use a D-210XLT on top of a D-410XLT, with a WT-800 head. The WT-800 in stereo mode can be adjusted to send more or less power to each side, so it works well. I just run it full-range for a great tone with monster lows and plenty of punch. It's a good thing.

20. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Each case is different. Distributing the wattage is only half the equation and maybe too much emphasis is placed on splitting the power evenly to each individual 10. Doing so may even result in the 4x10 burrying the 2x10. So far no-one has mentioned cabinet sensitivities.

I often use an Eden 2x10 wiith a Nemisis 4x10. Sounds KILLER! (Nemisis are very under-rated IMO). The 2x10 has a sensitivity rating of 104dB at 1w/1m. The 4x10 has a sensitivity of 103dB. Perfect. Therefore the way to get these cabs blending is to split the wattage to each CAB evenly, regardless of the speaker configuration inside it. Sure each 10 in the Eden gets more watts that each 10 in the Nemisis, but each of the Eden 10's has a higher wattage rating so it's OK.