Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who uses a 5-String in EADGB

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by baktothebassics, Aug 20, 2004.

1. I would like to know if anyone does this, and if you do what strings do you use, or do you just buy 6-string bass strings. Also could I do this on my 5-String Jazz, and what would be the advantages.
    -Thanks

2. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    im guessing you mean having a B on top, like a detuned C string? I imagine you could get any set of strings that goes EADGC and just tune it down a bit.
    now, this could be pure ignorance talking, but I cant see any advantage really, expect that you'd be a little more guitar-like. maybe if you were a guitarist who saw the light and came to bass playing you'd want to have the B... maybe...
    one big disadvantage could be that you break up the theoretical geometric symetry of the fingerboard... just a thought.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I bought my first 5 string in 91 tuned with a high B I wanted to complete chords and have higher range lower on the neck for solos.

I knew some guitar and all my learning matterial was guitar stuff I was adapting to what I heard the bass do in my head.