1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who uses a different make B string then the rest of the set?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Cutty, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    Iv'e never been 100% happy with the B on my USA jazz bass 5,i was thinking of just changing the B to another brand to see if it does the trick,and makes it sound tighter and more punchy,anybody do this?what brands do you feel works for you?i'm currently using Elites,but have used DR's and TI flats before,the bass is standard apart from a J-retro,i haven't changed the Fender Vintage pickups,but maybe i should!!give me some ideas guys,thanks.

2. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I have done that, and hate it. The tone and output level change always bugs me. You just need to get a complete set that has a good B.

Try DR DDTs, Pedullas, Sadowskys, Carvins, or Labellas.

3. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    So Dave do the DDTs offer a DR B string worthy of the other 4? What gauge did you try out?

I agree with you on the Pedulla, Labellas, and Carvins. They are all I put on my RV5. Anything else makes the B muddy and unfocused. I have not had great luck with nickel Sadowsky Bs.

4. I don't use a different brand B on my 5'ers, but I've found Labella 760FS DTFs to be well-balanced for flats, and Rotosound RS66 .045-.130 for roundwounds. I also have D'Addario Chromes on my 5-string fretless. The B is huge, but it's not bad. I love the sound of the Chromes on my fretless Jazz for E-G, so I put up with the B.

5. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Yeah man, where ya been? :D

I've been raving all over the board about the DDT 125. Just take it out of the pack and you know its different -- super flexible just like a labella. I'm switching all my 5 strings to DDTs. It might not be quite as solid as a HRS 128 ... but its pretty amazing and has that DR sound and feel that I prefer.

6. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca
    I have seen a few people say chromes have dead B's. I loved chromes on my 4 string so bought a 5 string set too.
    Mounted on two different basses 34 and 35 " scale the B sucked! So currently playing the stock roundwound on the b with e-g chromes. Probably gonna try more homogenious set though.

7. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO

Trying to have a life that is not centered around GASing for gear :D.

Thanks. I just bought 4 sets of Carvins. After I blow thru them and a set of Pedullas I just found, I will need to try out the DDTs.

8. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    That's crazy talk.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    +1

10. mgauge

mgauge

Dec 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I blame it all on when I joined talkbass...

11. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I had Chromes on my 5 string and the B was pretty dead. The rest sounded fine. I tried a set of Circle K balanced strings and I've been really impressed with them.