Who uses a GK 800RB and with what?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stingray56funk, Feb 16, 2005.

1. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    I just bought my GK 800RB used to have as a reliable gigging amp and it is wonderful! I always raved about tubes until I got the GK and it is fast and tight! Anyways, I am using mainly with a Mesa Boogie 6x10 and I want to know what other users are using their GK 800RB with. I am interested in the Bi-Amping capabilities but I don't know where to start with a 2 cabinet setup? Any help would be appreciated!
  2. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    It was an 89' model. Pretty generic as far as sound goes. Simple controls though mean it's easy to plug-n-play. The treble had a little hiss to it when emphasized, more noticable, I think, if the cab had a tweeter. I used a peavey 1516 cab that had 2- 8" speakers and a 15". Not that great of a cabinet but biampable, making it a perfect match for the GK. I also had a fender 410 that made things a little more mello, or maybe not as harsh compared to the peavey. I think a nice setup would have been a separate 2x8 8ohm cab on top of a 4 ohm 410 or 15 cab.
  3. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i run an 800RB with a GK 1x15 RBH. It's a durable head that i don't have to worry about when i'm constantly dragging it to practice and shows. so far i haven't been able to get a tone i love. i really like the tone with the mid-contour filter set. but i'm new at this situational tone stuff so i need to do a lot more experimenting.

also i'm getting a LDS 2x10 in a few weeks so i'm going to try the bi-amp thing which i have no idea what it is right now ha ha. what are my options with these two cabs and my 800RB? the 1x15 is 400 watts and the 2x10 is 700 watts.
  4. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I ran a 800rb into a swr 610. Good solid tone and I had it for about 5 years. It never let me down.
  5. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I still have an OLD 800rb as my back up amp. I've used it
    in many setups. My experience is that the biamp feature
    is just ok. With 100 watts, there is not much head room
    at all. But! If you can put a 4 ohm mono load on the amp,
    and use a small eq in the effects loop to boost the lows
    and highs just a tad, I think you will be blown away at the
    sound. I once used a 6x10 box (backline) with my own 800rb
    and a boss gb-7 stomp box eq (in effects loop). A LITTLE
    boost at 50, 4.5, or 10 hz. Whoa!! Big, punchy, nice!
  6. I run mine into a 20-something year old SVT410E. it cranks. metal, ska, reggae, funk, whatever....
  7. duncbass

Dec 28, 2003
    Had one back in the 80's and used it with a 2x15. Always sounded great. Tried biamping with a 2x10 but found that it was better pointing the 2x10 and the drummer and running it full range. Never ran out of power either way. Traded it for an American Strat when the band broke up.

8. stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Thanks guys for the comments! I have always been a more "high-end" head guy using separate pre's and power amps but I just got tired of the sound. I then turned full circle and bought a Mesa Boogie Buster All-Tube head to use with my 6x10 Mesa and the tube sound was too loose for me. No tight transients and too much low-mids. Anyways, I bought the GK 800RB because they are known for being reliable and a few of my favorite players played them (Flea and Tony Kanal). I think that I'll stick with my GK800RB and Mesa 6x10 until I can find a used Hartke 4.5XL to throw under it to try out that 80's sound! I dig the 80's! Thanks!
  9. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I've used an 800RB a couple of time. I actually liked it biamped with an old 410 and a 115. It's great, just plug and play, it's durabe and has ok tone. And with a big ol' stack it could get loud enough.
  10. stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Anyone use the GK 800RB with a Hartke 410XL or 4.5XL? I'm curious if the rave they used to carry would sound good in today's standards with all of the advancements in bass in the last decade. I have always been a little scared of Hartke because they seemed "cheaper" to me...but then again, I sold all my pre/power amp setups and all-tube head to buy an old Gallien Krueger! Those of you out there that have used a GK w/ Hartke cab let me know what you think! :bassist:
  11. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I bought mine new in '89, and it is still going strong (one repair well over a decade ago while on the road, so that is pretty damn good). My first cab was a used Peavey with an 18" and 10". I ran biamp into it. I hated it!!!! Since '91 I've had an Eden D410T that I run straight mono into. I also have an Ampeg SVT410HLF, and I have run both cabs together for bigger gigs, but I would not run biamp. I just didn't care for the sound. I am soon retiring it to the practice room with my old trusty Eden. I'm planning on getting a Schroeder cab with a new 1001RB!