Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who uses a headphone amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jivetkr, Mar 13, 2003.

1. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    My girlfriend has been very nice but is growing tired of hearing me practice all the time. Women are so selfish!

Anyway, I need to get a headphone amp. I need something I can plug a cd player into & play along. I would like something that is quality with a good sound & warrantee.

Can anyone recommend one?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    No frills: Raven Labs PHA-1.

Bells and whistles: Korg Pandora.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    What he said.

I had a Pandora, and there's no doubt it's more portable and flexible - it has play along, bass cancel on input source, record / playback, in addition to the effects available which are fine but not great.

But I found I really didn't use those features too much, so I sold the Korg and got the PHA-1. It has much better sound clarity, while lacking the bells and whistles of the Korg.

At the end of the day, both are quality items, it's just a question of what features you need.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You're asking at a good time because the Korg Pandora PX4B came out not long ago.

So, many retailers still have inventories of the PX3B and are putting deep discounts on them. Getting my PX3B a couple of years ago gave me loads more practice time (late at night) and practice features, like more drum patterns than I can even use.

5. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    I use my headphone output on my Digitech BP200, Alot of amps also have headphone plugs. You could also get a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter cheap and use it if you need be on the headphone jack on the amp. Or......Just play acoustic or really low. My Girlfriend loves to hear me play, she says it makes me sexy. But anyways, I recomend a cheap headphone amp because you probably wont use it that often.

6. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Fodera makes a nice sounding headphone amp

7. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I have a pandora, and i dont use most of the stuff in it. Its a great little box, i just havent taken the time to use it properly.

The drum beats on it are great though.

With a heaphone amp, sometimes the cables/wires can get out of hand, and very tangly.

8. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Pocket Rockit STD for Bass. Use it all the time. Has Norm, Bright and Dist channels, and an Aux input for play along, which I connect to my laptop or CD player. I can sit and watch TV or have a converstion while playing and hear both no problem.

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, I forgot about that one. That's a great headphone amp, I owned one of those also. Only problem I had with it was that it runs on power supply only, so it's not as portable as the Korg or Raven Labs models. Both of those can run on PSU or battery. But if you're not moving around, that's a moot point.

10. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
  11. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Only one I've tried is the Dean Markly? amp.. quite nice.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i just use the headphone out from my EA iAMP, but i'll check into those discounted PX3B's.

btw, what's the diff between the PX3B and PX4B versions?

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
  14. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    I have the Raven Labs PHA-1. Very nice unit! I have a small tuner and CD player run thru mine. Wife never complains about my practice time.

15. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    I think the biggest difference is that the PX4B has more effects (maybe double?) and more drum beats (again, maybe double?) than the previous version.

16. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    Called Steve at raven labs & there will be a PHA1 here next week.

My neighbors cant wait.

17. rickbass

From what I've read in the marketing hype, the PX4B is just the 3B with "more of the same".....e.g. more seconds of recording time, more drum patterns."

You have to realize - new products are introduced NOT because they offer anything much more than an older model. The Marketing "geniuses" are schooled to come up with "new news."

For instance, I worked in Pizza Hut's World Headquarters. The Marketing "geniuses" came up with "new news" all the time..........and that "news" was always still --- dough, cheese, tomato sauce, and topping ingredients. But a lot of peoiple afflicted with G.A.S. are suckers for the latest, "greatest" permutation.

Then, there are smart people who know that the Fender Jazz isn't just a dressed-up Precision. It's a totally different concept.

Bass makers, like Dan Lakin of Lakland, have a sound, fundamental, design and just make what the Marketing "geniuses" call "line extensions" even though the original concept is sound and exceptional.

18. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I thought the new one supported wireless headphones - that's a major upgrade!

19. rickbass

Heavy - Asuming that's true, what's the big whoop??? You just pay a helluva lot more for the headphones/transmitter, right????.....as opposed to just getting a longer cord at Radio Shack from your stereo to your PX3B????

As I said, "Marketing geniuses":rolleyes:

20. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I don't know - I can't tell you the last time I got myself tangled up on RF or IR signals. Cords suck.