Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who uses a smoke machine?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by QORC, Feb 4, 2005.

1. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    if so, how about some ideas of how to use it,place it, when to use it, etc?

we're thinking of using ours on a couple classic rock songs

2. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    We just bought a bubble machine, haha. Haven't used it yet though.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My cover band uses a fog machine - not for effect, but for a "haze" that makes the lighting look better and "beam". It really makes the stage and lighting look more professional. I've never liked just heavy fog bursts, it looks like cheesy heavy metal hair band 80's days.

They make haze machines that are better suited for light show enhancement, but they are much more expensive than fog machines at the moment. I think that will change in the near future. We just ordered a haze machine, so hopefully I'll remember to post an update in a few weeks.

As for the fog machine, I suggest the following:

1. Do NOT use scented additives, they clog up the machine 's nozzle. To avoid clogging and poor performance, once a month run distilled water with a tad of vinegar added through the machine for a few minutes.

2. Get a remote control. We use ours so that the machine automatically puts out one quick, tiny burst every few minutes to keep a floating haze around. One guy always has the remote accessible to press the "manual" button and smoke the hell out of the place on demand, though.

3. Put a small electronics fan in front of the unit, it will help disburse the fog quickly and more evenly around the stage. A $7 Radio Shack fan works nicely.

4. As for bubble machines, I won't touch 'em. They leave a soapy residue on all the gear, and make the floor slippery. I saw a bar manager get VERY upset with a band once because of this. There were spots on the walls where the bubbles touched and burst. Its a funny effect, but not worth the damage when used inside bars, only outside gigs.

4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have one. Used it for quite some time in my cover band to make our lights look even better. No I use it on Halloween to freak out the neighborhood kids :p :spit: . Personally I hate them from a band perspective. They really screw with your throat. From a lighting point of view and a "Stage" thing, they can be used effectivly to bring the stage to life. :(

5. Roberto

Roberto

Dec 24, 2004
  6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Excatly why my band uses one!

Ray

7. Beware the bubble machine!

I once subbed at a show where the club owner had just bought one and was so proud. He basically insisted that it just run continuously all night.

Anyway, about a third of the way through our first set, a girl was dancing on the parquetry dancefloor and slipped, breaking her hip. She sued the owner because the dancefloor was like a bar of soap, won her case and the club owner will never own anything again.....

I will never play a show with a bubble machine. :scowl:

8. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Back in the 80s my band made our own fog machines from parts from Granger. We took 32 gallon trash cans and built blowers into the lids. These ran off of dry ice as opposed to chemical fog. We had one on each side of the stage, slightly behind the drum riser. Once, in a small club, we fired them both up and filled the entire club with fog. It was fun until I fell off the stage because I could not see a thing. Some of our fans thought it was cool when we disappeared for about 15 minutes.

9. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I guess having that episode on video would have been useless, yet classic! HAHA

We use one in the band also.

We set the fog machine just underside the drum kit so it looks like it comes from the drum kit. The ceiling lights are pointed upward behind the drum kit. The effect is good enough for us.

Eric Moesle: Thanks for the tip RE: the 12v fan. I'm gonna try it out.

10. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, we don't plan on running the machine alot. Just a few quick bursts here and there. I doesn't seem to leave much of a residue, so I guess we're lucky. But yeah, we also plan on making sure it's cool with bar owners before we use it. Thanks for the info though.