Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who uses an incase tourbag?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jivetkr, Oct 15, 2003.

1. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    They look awesome.

Anyone have any real-world experiance with them?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

3. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    jivetkr is referring to this:

http://www.goincase.com/music/ProdBass.php

I was intrigued at first... but the bag isn't wide enough for my Ken Smith, and I suspect most 6 stringers.

Great design though. Anyone have one?

4. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    Sorry for the slight hijacking, but did you end up finding a good gigbag for the Smith? I have a 6 too and it's very, very wide...

Thanks,

knight

5. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
  6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I saw one in person, It looked cool I didnt like the way the flap that cover the back pack system tucked into a flap where the small of your back is. You dont really see it in the picture when he back pack stuff is exposed the flap of matieriel that normaly cover it tucks into a flap and I couldnt get nearly as neat as the picure.

in general besides that it looked good

AJ

7. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    Andrew....Did you try it on? & if so, did the backpack cover flap bother your back?

bump...

8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    No I didnt try it on and no I dont think it would bother my back. Its just...well... if this was camping gear (wich is where alot of the insperation is comeing from) there would by a velcro cover or something that secures this flap of matierial in the pouch and there isnt. In the picture they have its folded and inserted so perfectly that you cant even tell that pouch is there. But in reality theres no way someone would spen the time to make it that perfect and I couldnt even do when I tried hence a need for some kind of secureing system wich it doesnt have.

AJ

9. Hi:
    I have one, actually I was the very first winner in the INCASE tourbag give away.

I've been using the tour case for about 2 month now and love it. I have Dingwall basses and they barely fit, but i think this is the mindset w/ this bag. Unlike other gig bags, which just cover/protect the bass, this tour bag surround the bass like a glove, molds around it so it doesn't move, and protects it w/ thick foam.

The bag itself is made of heavy duty materials and is really thick. The whole system was well thought out and contains alot of extras. The tourbag comes w/ a raincover, a backpack/laptop case, a pouch for storagef (cords, pedal, sheet music, etc), and an extra zipper pouch. Also the case has hidden/built-in backpack straps to carry it as a backpack. if you jam all your extra gear into the lower pockets the case becomes lopsided and will not sit upright.
    If you do carry it as in backpack mode the cover has to be rolled outta the way so it doesn't hang down.
    I usually sling the case using the attached backstrap and only use one pocket worth of carrying gear, and leave the extra backpack at home.

I like the tourbag so much that I'm getting ready to order a new case for my new Dingwall.
    Whats also cool is when the tourbag shows up at your door its in a huge box that looks like a footlocker, complete w/ metal reinforced corners. Incase does a great job w/ this bag.

frank

10. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    Frank....One more question..

Do you find that when using the backpack straps the flap that covers them gets in the way? Is it secure when you roll it up & tuck it into the bag?

11. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

Since this quote seems to be asked because of my statements I'd like to say I dont think the cover would "get in the way" Its more like Have you learnd to fold on such a way that its not half hanging out and do you have to neaten it up often to keep it there?

Do you think a little velcro flap could have made this a non issue if its a issue for you at all?

AJ

12. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    Andrew...Thats exactly why I asked it. I also sent the same question to incase to see what they say.

I really dont want to worry about the flap having to be tucked in all the time. A velcro or snap flap that would secure it when folded would be perfect OR just the ability to completly unzip the flap altogether.

Personally, I would only use the backpack version thats why I'm asking.

The case seems really well thought out though & I have doubts that they would build it without a secure way to hide the flap....I'm still curious though

13. Hi:
    The backpack cover has to be rolled (or folded) back into the body to prevent it from hanging down, There is no velco strap to secure it inplace but there is a place for the folded cover, and yes a velco strap would make this a non issue. I've use the backpack mode once just to try it out.
    My personal feeling could be to offer this case w/ EITHER a backpack option or w/o. The backpack option adds size to the case i would prefer to see go and again becuz the case is bottom heavy, once you add a bit of gear (for me- my strap, 1 set extra strings, Boss TU tuner pedal,3- 15 ft chords, 1-5 ft chord, and charts for songs), the bass case doesn't sit upright but wants to fall over even when leaning against a wall.
    However, I don't find any of this stuff as a bad thing, the case more than protects the bass. Once you get past the mindset that you literally have to "fit" the bass into the tourcase and stabilize the neck (w/ the adjustable pad), the bass is not going to move, slide,or otherwise bounce around.
    frank

14. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    What is the street price on these? I think that the first price I saw was $280.

15. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I have had a bunch of them in the shop over the last two months. They have been selling incredibly quickly.

The current version, at first, does seem a little tight for a ex-long scale six (i.e.36"). My AJ six alomost wouldn't fit at first. What I found was the bag's seem to mold themselves a bit over the first week or two. My six fits perfectly now. Standard scale (34" and 35" basses) fit perfectly from day one.

The really cool thing about these bags (besides the rock solid protection) is the amount of storage and the lap-top break out. If you, like me, are running Reason (etc.) on a Powerbook at rehearsals or gigs, the integrated system is a godsend.

Incidentally, we're having them make a bag for us that will be two inches longer. This should alleviate requiring any "break-in" period.

I hope this is helpful.

16. Joel:
    thanks for confirming what i had noticed. That you have to "fit' your bass into these bags. Since I have no other basses to test I assumed the molding idea was the mindset of INCASE when they designed these bags so tightly.
    W/ that said, maybe you can answer me a question.
    My Dingwall Afterburner is actually a few millimeters shorter than a standard size Fender Jazz bass yet i literally have to pull the case around the head and ensure the straplock is inside the foam surround before I zip. Is this what you've noticed w/ other basses?
    I believe the street price on these INCASE tourbags is $200USD, let me confirm
    frank

17. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Frank,
    Your experience is exactly what happened to me. We got the first round of samples in at the shop about two months ago. I tried to put my AJ in and it was too tight. I then tried to put my J bass in and even that was a bit of a struggle, though it did fit. After about a week of my J bass being in the case, the case started to mold and give a bit. I then tried my AJ again; this time it actually fit, but it too was tight. I left that in and about a week later I was able to easily put it in and take it out of the case.

At this point I've been using my personal bag for awhile and it has absolutely shaped itself to my 36" AJ six. I wont think about going back to any of my old bags. This has so much more protection and it's really well thought out.

I've used Fodera double gig bags for years now. I always thought they were the best bags, but for me, the Incase is now my favorite.

They also make great laptop and iPod cases.

And yes, street price is $200. I know of a great shop who has them....;)

18. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I have a Summit Guitar Pack that is on the same order, but it doesn't have the backpack thing that I wouldn't use anyway. The old SGP had that and it was a complete pain! Sucked when it did work and packed away was, like you said, a big bump. Ugh.

The new improved SGP is kick-ass and just a little over $100 I think. Tons of padding, a steel brace that takes a little stress off the neck, and an external removable pack that works wonderfully.

A great cheaper (and for me, better) alternative to the incase. Of course, it's not as hyped in the marketing arena, so if you're into that, stay away!! :D

www.guitarbackpack.com