1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who uses Avatar cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scubaduba, Apr 24, 2006.

1. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I had never heard of these cabinets until I started reading the forums here. Sounds like people are pretty pleased with the quality and sound of the Avatar cabs.

I was planning on purchasing an Ashdown MAG 300H head and Ashdown MAG 4x10 deep cabinet until I heard about these Avatars. Now I'm considering either the Avatar 4x10 Neo or Avatar 2x12 Neo cabinet instead. Any recommendations?

I'm looking for a good fat clean sound with good lows but nice highs as well and a "growl" so to speak. I'm not really digging the "techno" SWR sound these days and Ampeg seems to "blah".

Any suggestions? I'm looking for the cab to be a stand alone deal good for small/medium gigs. I'm still leaning toward the 4x10 cabinet from Ashdown still but maybe somebody here will persuade me to go for one of the Avatars.

2. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I'd go with the 212 personally...However I still wish he did his cabs in duratex instead of cheap carpet....:eyebrow:

3. I've got a 210 Neo and 212 Neo. I switched from Ampeg BXT's, and am VERY pleased so far. Tons of power handling, and a really great sound. As always, it's tough to describe sounds, so I'd recommend trying one out if you can. The weight-savings alone are worth the price, but the fact that they sound THIS good is a huge bonus.

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I have a b410Neo. Very punch and clean cab that gets down really low.

5. I use the Neo 210 and the Neo 115 with an EA iamp 500. Both cabinets are 4 ohms. The EA iamp produces 500 watts at 4 and 2 ohms, but only 350 watts at 8 ohms. Be sure to size the impedance correctly. Good luck.

Carl

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    212 here. I've used it for 3 years, and enjoyed it every time I played. It's currently scheduled for a transplant operation, getting a new X-over. Right now I'm digging my 1210 Schroe, it fits in my trunk, whereas the 212 fits in my front seat. I'll use both from time to time, but the 212 Avvie is a great cab.

7. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Sacrilege I know, and I'm opening myself up to serious flames but.......I actually prefered my Avatars to the Schroeders I have now. And the Edens. About par with SWR for sound.

[asbestos underwear on]

They seem to have a better top for me with less of a "mid bump" than the Schroeders. I upgraded/modded the crossovers on mine and it made all the difference. Similar to what he's offering now.

If I was buying new again, it would be Avatars. No question. Hands down.

Oh, and I had the 112 and the 112 Compact.

dcr

8. theschnitt

theschnitt

Jan 27, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
  9. First of all, a search could probably answer all of your questions.

Second of all, it sounds like you are looking for something light, since you are looking at neo cabs. Unless you need the full 1200 watts that those cabs can dish out, I would recommend just going with a 210 kappa pro (1000 watts, yet much smaller), a 210 delta (700 watts, yet much smaller and 10 pounds lighter) or a 112 Delta LF (500 watts, yet much smaller and 20 pounds lighter). You could also stack the 210 and 112 and get the best of both world between a 410 and a 212, but that would be the heaviest option.

Note- this is just Avatar models. For similar prices on debatably better cabinets, you might want to check out Dr Bass.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

1x12 8ohm & 2x10 8ohm cab owner here. Previously owned a 1x15 8ohm! Love them! Great sound and can handle a ton of power! Unbelievable for the price! I agree about the carpet covering but hey, even some high end cabs have it too!

11. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    212 owner here. I love the lows this thing has. I have the 4 ohm version as a standalone cab and it's plenty for medium sized gigs with my kustom groovebass.

12. SwitchGear

SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    scubaduba,

I own a Ashdown Mag 300H and Avatar B210 Delta and Avatar B115H Kappa Pro cabs. Both cabs are 8 ohm. I like the rig, it provides the tones you desire. I usually use one cab at a time, though I will use the whole rig outdoors or in a big room.

13. I was planning on getting a full avatar rig at one time.

I really hope one day i can compare them to what I got. I may one day get a 212 in 4ohm to play at home. Only recently have I thought of getting a 212, i'm usually a 15's or 10's man.

14. thestevo

thestevo

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    Like jpark, I also run a Kustom Groovebass into a 4ohm B212, and absolutely love it! I can't believe how good this rig sounds for how much I paid!

15. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    How would you guys describe the sound? I am looking for something that can stand alone and I know nothing is perfect. But I'm wanting something that will handle my low B string well yet remain punchy "growly" in the mid/highs. I'm not opposed to going with a heavier 4x10 cabinet but I wouldn't mind something more portable either. :)

16. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Unfortunately, I don't have access to any of these Avatars to try out. I don't know of anybody around me who has them. Wish I did...

So I'm relying on you all for this one.

17. I just bought the 212 delta and 210 Neo both 8 ohm today. Should be here in a few days. Avatar is highly praised by many folks in the forum. great gear at affordable prices. ( I was in a music store checking out some Hartke Cabs and I mentioned Avatar to the salesman, His jaw dropped. Obviously he knew he wasnt selling me a cab that day. Probably uses Avatar himself). I felt bad for him so I bought something else he could make a commission on.) Also, the owner Dave actually answers the phone. Placing the order was easy. My first experience with Avatar was a good one. That goes a long way when I deal with people. I asked a bunch of questions and got the answers. No Pressure, No bull.

18. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    When I got my 212, I waited about 4 days for it to show up. I opened the box, and it was a 410! I already had an Eden 410T, so I called Dave to make sure I didn't have a brain fart. He looked up my order, and sure enough, I had ordered a 212. He immediately called FedEx and had them come pick it up the next day, RMA. I guess I called him at the right time, because the 212 was at my door two days later, plus he gave me a $25 credit for my troubles. The cabs crossed paths somewhere in the midwest, I think. Stellar customer service, Dave went above and beyond by-
    1) Admitting he goofed- the 212 and 410 are in identical boxes, he didn't double-check it before it went out (completely understandable, IMO)
    2) Calling FedEx for an immediate RMA (no cost to me)
    3) Having the right cabinet shipped to me in two days (no added charge to me)
    4) Offering me a $25 "store credit" to use on my next order (He took it in the shorts financially on this deal!)

I offered to pay to ship it back, or pay shipping for the correct order, but he politely refused, saying it was his oversight that allowed the 410 to escape. He even offered me a discount if I wanted to keep the errant 410, but since I already had one, and was really looking for the 212, he was extremely gracious and shipped the 212 before the 410 was even picked up! Now that's service!

19. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    That really sounds great! Sounds like great service and a great product. I just need to figure out which one to get. I wish I had the chance to try them out for myself but I don't have that option.

20. jbassbob

jbassbob Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID
    I'm interested in the B410 Neo. This is the first I've heard of this mod. Avatar carpets the face of the speaker mounting board and then mounts the speakers over it?