1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who Uses Batteries

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Jul 24, 2007.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    And how much crack did your Mum smoke while pregnant with you :D

Nah I kid, but in all seriousness what pedals do you power with a battery and why?

I can understand it with certain fuzz pedals but I hate when I read about people moaning that this or that pedal was making a funny noise and it turns out to be the battery going when I really don't understand why any of you bother with them still, especially since the One Spot is so cheap and readily available.

2. bastom

bastom

Feb 15, 2006
    Belgium
    I use a batt in my Boss TU-2.. cause sometimes thats all i got... its easier to just trow that on stage or rehersal, then to ask another spot for electricity for just one tuner............

3. I use batteries in a loop pedal I've got that doesn't have a 9v input.
    I also use batteries if I run out of power supplies which isn't as frequent any more.

4. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    If I'm only using one or two pedals I'll often use a battery because sometimes it's more convenient than using an adapter.

5. Lefty Geek

Lefty Geek

Feb 13, 2006
    NYC
    Do you ever play out? Some stages simply do not have access to a decent power source. Other times it is in an inconvenient location and you end up with wires across your feet or pedals. I always use batteries live, it is just easier.

Gigging without batteries in your pedal is a disaster waiting to happen.

6. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    my geetardist uses batteries.... :rollno: You don't wanna know how often his phaser and his wah ran out, with him not understanding what was happening.. duh... :help:

Always send a good technical sheet before gigging. If they can't provide what you ask for, it's their problems, not yours. Besides, several pedals can't have a battery (Some EHX and Digitech for example)

7. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Ever hear of an extension cable? The one time that I decided to use batteries (because my Powerall was being noisy that week), my octaver gave out in the middle of a song. Luckily i was able to replug a few things to get signal back. Also one of the reasons I prefer true bypass pedals.

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Only about a 150 times a year so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about :eyebrow: I solved this problem you have by having a custom pedalsnake made with a mains power lead that goes from the back of the stage to my pedal board it actually plugs into the front of my rack via a furman power conditioner but there are these things called extension leads as well where you can plug more than one thing into a single socket ;) So I have a single thick lead going up the stage which has 2 ins, 1 out, 2 forms of power so I have a backup 9v adaptor such as the onespot available to me at the back of the stage and 1 xlr all in one nice neat cable.

Personally I would have thought having 9 pedals that you have to unscrew 4 screws from to change a battery is a disaster waiting to happen.

9. I have batteries in all my pedals but I also have a 1spot. In case the power cord gets unplugged (not that I would know from experience....)

10. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I was using batteries in all of my pedals, but that was only because my Pedal Power was on back order, so I really didn't have another choice.

11. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    I take the batteries out of my pedals if they come with them to reduce weight. That's about half the weight of the newer EHX pedals. :D

12. 5stringwonder

5stringwonder

Sep 24, 2006
    Singapore
    Used to when I had only a couple of pedals. Once the pedal collection got too large, it didn't seem practical.

13. jonpopu

jonpopu

Nov 3, 2006
    Chicago
    Yeah seriously, we were playing at this scuzzy diy venue one night when while rockin' out I accidentally stepped on the power button of a powerstrip that had two other strips plugged into it. Killed me and one of my gui****'s sound, so then I'm checking all the plugs and flipping all the switches in a desperate attempt to return power. So now that I think of it I should put batteries in my pedals as a backup.

14. All my pedals are on a powered SKB board, and I've never played a place where I couldn't plug it in somewhere (sometimes need an extension cord). I keep batteries in the pedals just in case I need it, but I haven't run across that situation in the 3 years or so I've had the board.

15. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I used to use batteries in almost everything, except my QTron which obviously can't use batteries. It was so annoying having to unplug all the cables from the input of each pedal so that the battery didn't drain. Changing time was also a really annoying chore because while my boss style pedals were a quick swap, I had to take the others and take them off the pedalboard, then get the right screwdriver, and then put everything back together. Then there was the worry about if one of the batteries died onstage, since I have pedals that use a buffered bypass. It eventually got to me that I needed to replace my battery addiction with a power supply to save some money since I was going through bulk packs of 9volts almost every month. Honestly, after changing over to a power supply, I am much happier. The only pedal that still uses a battery is my StroboStomp 2 tuner because it is easier to pass it around to everyone else who needs a tuner at gigs (you'd be surprised, or maybe not surprised, how many gui****ists are using the crappy little blue Fender tuners that cost maybe $0.50 to make, or have no tuners with them at all).

16. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    not surprised. that's also why I stopped using batteries for my tuner... "nope, can't unplug it anymore for you to use, go buy one now you cheap geetard DAMMIT" :ninja:

17. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    I only use batteries in my small stone, only cos i cant find an adapter for it to go in my power bank, also EHX pedals seem to last forever on a battery.

Oh, just wandering but am i the only person on the forum who tunes by ear?

18. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Higgie has an adaptor that will work for your small stone and power bank, shoot him a PM about it I'm pretty sure he's not using it.

And yes........NOW GO BUY A PEDAL TUNER :D :bassist:

19. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Yeah, it's been really tempting to do just that... :ninja:

Take a look-see online for the Godlyke PA-9 Powerall or the Visual Sound 1Spot. Both of these powering devices have adapters that can be sold separately for Electro-Harmonix 3.5mm plugs that will convert your standard barrel-style plug. Just a thought if you wanted to stop spending money on batteries.

You're probably not the only one. When I am at home and practicing, I tune by ear. But most of the time I am playing along with a piano that gets regular tuning so I have to make absolutely sure that I am in tune or else it makes everything sound really ugly. The tuner takes out the possibility of human error (that would be me) in trying to tune to the piano. Instead, I set my tuner to the same A-note reference frequency , tune up and away we go. :D

20. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    It has never seemed like a good idea to me to tune by ear in live performance situations. First off, there's usually too much noise going on to concentrate on it, and second, nobody wants to hear tuning. If I'm seeing a band, the absolute LAST thing I want to hear is tuning.

If you're playing with a piano though, that's pretty much the only way to go.