Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who uses BOTH straplocks?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, May 4, 2002.

1. you buy straplocks in pairs, but i always just use one of them for the horn and let the strap connect to the butt of the bass naturally. my strap has never come disconnected from there anyway, and i can set up two basses with one pair of locks. what about YOUUUU?

i know, it's a dumb thread, but sometimes it seems like everything else has been done. :D

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I use them both.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I use the full set on each bass. I have Schaller locks on EVERY ONE of my basses.

4. same here.. all my stuff has / had / will have schaller straplocks on them..

5. I use 'em both, too.
    Once or twice the strap has come off the...butt? of my bass, so just to be safe I keep 'em both there.

6. both

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Both.

Face it, DHC - you're wierd.

;)

8. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Both. Which reminds me, I need to pick up a pair today. So thank you.

:)

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I use both, not just for the added protection, but because it's so much easier to put your strap on and take it off with strap locks.

10. well here's another reason i do it - the butt end of my strap has two holes, and i like to switch between them sometimes to make it lower for songs where i play with a pick.

11. I use both.

12. I use both. I only have them on my three high-end basses. They match the hardware of each associated bass; chrome, black and gold.
    And being that the rear strap button on both my Spector and my Zon Sonus are above center, a regular strap has the same chance of coming off from there.
    The upperhorn straplock on my Spector came APART one time, sending the bass crashing to the floor. A few minor nicks, but I have placed a larger washer in that straplock since then. No problems yet.
    ~Ad

13. I always use both.

14. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I use both. I prefer Dunlops over Schallers, though.

15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I also use both. If youve got them both, use them.

16. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I use both - Schallers all the way! I just picked up a set to add to my newly acquired Jazz bass!

17. Aside from the fact that I've never even seen a set of Schaller locks...I'm perfectly happy with my Dunlops.

Anyhoo, I figure I can fit this question into this thread without starting yet ANOTHER strap lock thread...

With Dunlops, will it do any damage to the bass/lock thingies if I put them in the Fender case stand with the strap still attached to the butt end of the bass? Or would this rely on where the strap button is placed on the butt end of the bass? i.e. if the button is in the center of the body, then when standing it straight up the bottom of the stand will just push the lock against the button, thereby not doing anything damaging to it (?), where as if the button is a little off center like on my Spector then it'll push the lock against the inner edge of the button thereby doing some serious damage to it (?).

If this is worthy of another thread...moderators can split threads as well as merge them...right?

18. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Both! I don't take the chance!
    Schaller! All the way..

19. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I always use them both.

I am not sure that a strap is any less likely to come off at the heel than it is at the horn.

I have never dropped a bass, but both times I have had the strap let go, it has been at the heel.

I always loop the cable through the strap over the heel buttom, so if you step on the cable, it is pulled down and can act as wedge to push the strap off the button.

Off-set waist style basses like a jazz are especially prone to coming off at the heel because of the angle of the strap to the body.

I think two makes more sense. It is certainly worth the extra $10 to me.

I use Dunlop locks for no other reason than I always have.

Chas

20. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Another vote for both.

The only place my strap ever came undone before I started using them was the strap button behind the bridge.