1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who Uses Guitar Amps for Bass???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spinal Tapper, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Just wondering if any of you use guitar tube heads for your bass on a regular basis? In live situations like rehearsal or gigs?

Specifically 100+ watt tube heads like Matamp, Orange, Marshall, HiWatt, Sound City, etc? Who's found them to get low enough when connecting to bass cabs? Is there a lot of overdrive/distortion?

I'm considering getting an Orange OR120 or AD140 for my bass.

My V4-B was only 100 watts and it sounded excellent through my bass rig (Orange 15" & SWR 2x10 cabs connected at full-range) and was plenty loud enough to compete with my band.

I sold it, so now I'm GASing for another tube head.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Other than EQ points, there usualy isn't much of a difference between guitar amps and bass amps. Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick loves to use guitar amps.

3. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    I've heard excellent things about the Orange Thunderverb for bass.

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I've been checkin out the AD140, since it's 140 watts, it should be plenty loud for my band and also has the "clean" and "dirty" channels to switch from - would probably be a cool amp.

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I've used guitar amps with bass, for recording.
    Fender 4x10 Concert.
    Fender Bassman with 2x15 cab.
    They work great for an aggressive pick tone.
    A Hofner, Ric, or Jazz, will do the trick?

6. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I use a guitar rig as a component in my stage rig. Lots of people do.

7. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    How so? I imagine that'd sound awesome but be a pain to haul around.

8. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    I was using a Line6 Spider 112 until i bought my Hartke HA5000. never had a problem with it, though I never hit it to 10 just in case.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Can be but doesn't have to be. They do make small and light guitar combos.

10. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    That's not exactly what I was referring to...I'm talking about buying an Orange AD140 or OR120 or similar 100+ watt tube head and running it through my bass cabinets for extra low-end

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Should be no problem. Try it first if you can, but yeah, shouldn't be a problem.

12. theavondon

theavondon

May 11, 2009
    Town
    I'm pretty sure an Orange or a Matamp will suffice for pretty much anything.

13. Hi.

Since the low Fs of the OT is directly proportional to the size of the OT (Afe) and therefore the price, the low end is exactly what You won't most likely to get from a guitar tube amp. From a modern one anyway.

The OT acts like an inbuilt hi-pass filter and for most of the guitar OT's the -3dB freq is 80Hz.

Absolutely nothing will prevent You from trying though, I did play quite long time through Marshall JMP1959 + 4*12 + 2*15 back when I was young. The cabs were Marshall bass cabs obviously.

Regards
    Sam

14. I use a Line 6 spider as my practice amp, I enjoy it.

15. So have I. Never tried one, though. My amp is actually technically both a guitar amp and a bass amp, though it really is a lot better with bass (I've tried guitar through it as well... the results were rather disappointing).

16. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I use a marshall superlead and a 2x12" sealed box - it's like 1/2 a half stack.

Plus a tube SVT and 2 15's for lows.

I don't use all that stuff for every gig - it depends on the band and the sound I'm looking for. If I'm doing a fretless gig, I don't bother with the marshall.

17. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    And cranked up it sounds like the voice of God.

18. Igital

Igital

Dec 19, 2008
    Norway
    Gigged for a while with a Mesa Tube head (made for guitar) and it was one of the best sounding bass heads I've ever used. The owner (who kindly let me use it for over a year - but wisely refused to sell it) is now dead so it might be difficult to find out exactly what model it was, but I think it might have been a Mark 1. It was only a 100w head but since I always played with FOH at the time it was enough for me.

19. [​IMG]

20. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks for the responses dudes! I'm still hanging on the idea of this OR120, so we'll see what happens. If anyone else has some experiences, keep em coming!

BTW, I DID try out my guitarists Tiny Terror the other night, but it was through his guitar cab...sounded really cool, not loud enough obviously and I didn't want to push it cause it wasn't mine (wasn't his either, he was borrowing it from his roomate), but I was temped to plug it into my Orange OBC15....then I remember reading threads about under-powering your cab and didn't want to try that either...