Who uses Netflix?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Dec 14, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I'm thinking about signing up on a Netflix package. We watch a lot of movies and it seems like it's really convenient. Also, the cost is nothing prohibitive. I mean, $10 a month? Why not?

Does anyone use Netflix? Ever have any troubles?

I know the turnaround time from them to you is about one day, but how long does it take to get from you to them? That is, when you send your movie back, what's the time between when the movie leaves your hand to when you get the next one?

Also, if you rent a TV DVD, like the fifth season of Seinfeld or something, do you get all the discs at once? At Blockbuster you have to rent each disc individually. That's stupid.
  2. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Nope, you get them a disc at a time.
  3. We're on it, & we get 2 at a time(one for the kids & 1 for us 'grownups'). The turnaround time is very quick, in both directions. We've not had a problem yet- well, actually, there was a glitch w/our account or something that made us wait an additional day on a movie, but that's 1 out of maybe 10 or 12 times so far.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My brother does it, and he loves it. If I had the extra cash, I would, but my girlfriend has the Blockbuster movie pass, so I rent for free there ;)
  5. my sis does it...love it.
    Just like everyone says, quick turnaround time. Also if you set up your wishlist online, they send you whatevers on your list next after they recieved the viewed one back.
    Thats said, read the fine print. The $10 version only allows IIRC 1 DVD at a time. My sister subscription cost 19.99/month (24 w/ tax i believe). she gets three DVDs, it works best for her. YMMV
  6. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

Do they all have to go back at the same time?
  7. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Nope. Watch one, send it back, that starts the process for the next one. If you watch 2 over the weekend, send them both back Monday, you'll get the next two.

I've been a user for 5 years. I enjoy it. Works best if you actively manage your queue. Works least best if you aboslutely have to have popular brand new releases the day they come out.

When I first started, the distribution center was in San Jose (I'm outside DC). You had to plan carefully, becasue turnaround was a full week.

Then they opened a Dist. Center just across the river in Md. and I get a new movie with in 2-3 days of putting the old one in my mail box.

The other great thing is that you don't have a schedule to return something. If you jsut don't get arround to 1 of your three movies, it doesn't matter. I've kept one for 6-8 weeks before getting around to it.

I've got teenagers in the house and have to manage things carefully to always have a selection that suits all 4 of us or just the wife and I.
  8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Ditto what jk said.

Rent with confidence. No late fees. 3 at a time. 2 day

And did we say, VERY extensive collection of classic stuff as
    well. Blockbuster doesn't have much depth. Netflix has a lot
    of deep tracks if you go looking. Art movies, old horror, scifi,
    older dramas. Foreign films.

We love it.
  9. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    because of this thread, I just started... getting a few bass flicks to start out with...

thanks, duck!!!

10. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Another Blockbuster convert here! I signed up for the 3 at a time and couldn't be happier. I love all the music stuff, IMax flicks and the documentaries.

Just watched an IMax flick last night about Dolphins. It was narrated by Pierce Brosnan and Sting did all the music! I've never heard Englishman in New York like that. Learned that dolphins can look straight ahead with one eye while simultaneously looking straight up with the other! I thought the craziest thing is how they sleep...they close their left eye and that whole side of the brain 'goes to sleep'...they use their right eye (and right side of their brain) to watch for predators...they seriously have 2 brains - Insane.
  11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Used to do Netflix, but Blockbuster is competing with them with their Movie Pass. We like it better, just because it's a bit more convenient for us.
  12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    They will be our overlords someday. :D

edit- I use Netflix, but I screw myself, I forget to return the movies.
  13. discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    yay, netflix rules! i just got finished watching a movie about mingus. ever since we signed up a year ago i haven't set foot into a blockbuster.
  14. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    I LOVE netflix.. I got Victor Wooten on bassday :) and then I burn them all to DVDs... whats the minugs movie called??
  15. I used Netflix for a few months, but I don't watch enough movies. I basically was renting music related stuff. It's a decent deal and idea. Turnaround time seemed pretty quick. They'd get the CD in 3 days about and you'd get yours within a day.

I only canceled because it seemed like I'd never rent 2 movies a month after I used it for 5 months. I just don't like TV.

16. PaiMei

PaiMei The Highwayman

There was an article this summer that outlined Netflix (and competitors) bid to offer video on demand. Just click, download, and watch. I'd do a search but I'm crashing for tonight. Anything that eliminates using the postal service, I'm all for...
  17. I've been using Netflix for the past 3 or 4 years, and so far they've been pretty good - I've had a couple go astray (one turned up about 2 years later - god knows where it went!). I only use my TV for DVDs (no cable or the regular broadcast garbage), so I can catch up with all the films that I missed in my mis-spent youth. Watched "A Street Car Named Desire" tonight - what a classic! - I'd heard about it, but had never actually seen it - great film!

- Wil
  18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I used Netflix and they do indeed have an extensive library of older movies. I'd been looking for Roman Polanski's "The Tenant" since I originally saw it in the 70's and Netflix was the first place I found it.

What eventually made me switch was the lack of new titles. Waiting a month for a new release to finally ship eventually took it's toll and I switched to Blockbuster online and I couldn't be happier. In most cases new releases that come out on Tuesday ship that day. Turnaround is quick (Netflix was too), problem resolution was easy the couple of times I had issues.

Right now I have about 40 music related DVDs queued up along with alot of other movies. Blockbuster also gives me coupons for two free in-store rentals each month and has also given me coupons for free DVDs.

If I mail a movie back before 8 PM today, a new one ships tomorrow and I have it the following day. Couldn't be easier.
  19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You could rent three discs if that's the plan you have.

If you have a plan that allows you to rent whatever number of discs the Seinfeld season takes up, you're okay. Otherwise if you have a one, two or three at a time plan you really can't expect to get four discs (for instance) at once.

IIRC the top tier Netflix plan allowed for alot of movies out at once. Of course you pay for that.