Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who uses Rabbath???

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by PepeRomero, Jul 6, 2005.

1. PepeRomero

PepeRomero

Jul 5, 2005
    Do you know any gods actually using (or having studied with) the Rabbath method?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Lynn Seaton, for one.

3. Bsimner

Bsimner

May 7, 2004
    Actually, I studied a bit with Rabbath,, and I play early music in Europe...

His thing is more about openenss and freeing than any one crab thing....

4. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Paul Ellison, the former principal bassist of the Houston Symphony and current Professor of double bass at Rice.

5. I don't set my bass up according to the Rabbath method, but I do use book 3 for my scale studies and have for some time. There are a lot of great bass players/teachers who have studied his technique at one time or another. Hal Robinson, principle of Philly comes to mind.

6. PepeRomero

PepeRomero

Jul 5, 2005
    I live in Bogotá, Colombia (South America, for any doubts). Here there are 2 or 3 conservatories, plus 6+ fine level music schools where classical double bass is taught. Various methods are taught here, mainly Simmandl, but also a bit of Billè; there's also a Russian one which I really don't know (talking to a bassist who plays at one of the local classical orchestras, and who was taught by a great Russian bassist named Zanko, I got the impression that this Russian method is something like the Italian one where the ring finger is used).

But nobody here plays or has studied with the Rabbath method. Most players, to be sure, have heard of him and some have even played one or two of his studies (the Ode to Spain, I belief); but his technique is seen with suspicion here (to say the least). My current teacher dissents with Rabbath's pivot technique, and encourages me to "stay always at position" (meaning Simmandl's positions).

I'm very interested in the Rabbath method and, from what I've seen to the moment (I'm studying the 3 volumes, and I've heard some of his recordings), it seems to be very promissing. But, due to the uneasiness which Rabbath's New Technique locally arouses, I needed some feedback regarding it.

Thanks for the help, fellow u-bass players.

7. Nivaca

Nivaca

Jan 8, 2005
    Look at this thread here.
    Also search for "Rabbath".

Cheers.

8. Noam Elron

Noam Elron

Apr 14, 2005
    Haifa, Israel
    The almighty Renaud Garcia-Fons was a student of Rabbath.

9. any jazzers using Rabbath method?
    i tried it for a while but couldn't get my head round playing in keys like Ab. do you still stay in the same position as you would playing in G?
    also the cello like stance felt funny when diggin in with jazz pizz.
    so any jazzers incorporate the Rabbath thing?

10. someone above mentioned lynn seaton as studying rabbath. i don't know if they use all of his fingering systems, but both John Clayton and Rufus Reid have the drilled Laborie enpin which started with Rabbath. in my opinion his technique transfers to all areas of the bass...i play both jazz and classical and find it extremely beneficial to both.