Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who uses "tapered core" strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LA, Jan 3, 2002.

1. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    It's time to replace the strings on my MTD Kingston and I want to find the best replacement possible, other than the original MTD strings that came with it. I'd like to try a set with a tapered-core b and/or e string, possibly a set of Dean Markley's. Are tapered-core strings the way to go?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. I love 'em. I used to by Spector taper core that had the B, E, A, and D strings all tapered - but they are tough for me to find now. Ken Smith does a good job, as well as DRs. I prefer the Smith strings myself. Good luck, and you may have to adjust your bridge somewhat if this is your first set.

3. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Yep...I just ordered a set of Ken Smiths from here with the tapered BEAD strings. Thanks for the bridge adjustment tip; that was something I didn't consider.

4. I run GHS Progressives, 0.045 ~ 0.135, and they are taper wounds on both B and E. The Gotoh bridge on my Roscoe Beck V is designed for taper wounds on both the B and E, and the Progressives fit this requirement nicely. The material is Alloy 52 which is highly magnetic nickel, and easy on the fingers and frets. The Progressives are not long enough for Through Body stringing, but I still get sustain for days using Through Bridge stringing.

I gig them weekly and they hold a tune forever, and apparently have a very long life span with typical string wipe-off practices during the sweating season.

Dean Markley, Fender, GHS, and Ken Smith are the only ones I am aware of that offer taper wounds for both the B and E strings.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I used to and then came to the conclusion that they really didn't seem to do anything "more" for me... so I stopped.

6. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    The taper core apparently allows for more ringing sustain (provided the rest of the bass is set up correctly), so I thought I'd give it a shot. Not having to pay for them is a good incentive, too.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I like them, IMHO they contribute to B string clarity, and also make the low B a heck of a lot easier to intonate correctly.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have basses that sustain like crazy without tapers:)

I can see where that could be desirable if someone didn't have the same thing.

9. It's my understanding the benefit of tapers is intonation. I'd like to find out for sure.

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    it's a lot harder to intonate the lower strings (b and lower) without tapers. i like dean markley sr2000s.

11. I spent a good 90 minutes last night intonating my RB5 and GHS Progressives. Both the B and E saddles on the RB5 are expressly designed for taper wound strings.

It was still a bitch intonating that low B. But I do love that Beee... thud, thud.

12. are taperwounds better then flatwounds on a fretless? and i heard tapers work better with piezos. any input?

13. I'm not sure, but i think you may be thinking of "tapewounds" which different than taperwound

14. is there flat wound taper cores strings?

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I use the Smith tapers on my Smith 6. Excellent strings.

16. well any tapered cored flatwounds?

17. john b carvalho

john b carvalho Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2001
    Kaneohe,Hawaii
    I have been using LaBella Super Steps now for about 8 years,prior to that I used Super Wound 606's.

Aloha John

18. Thomastik-Infeld is toying with the idea of taper wound flats, but nothing is close to release yet.

BTW... I just removed my GHS Progressive taper wounds and replaced them with TI Jazz Flats. Miles of improvement in the tone, but this is not a reflection on taper wounds. More manufacturers are moving to tapers because they do intonate better.

The TI Flats just have boat loads more tone for my particular situation. I was seriously thinking of offing my RB5 and replacing it with a P-Bass, but the TI's have changed that.

19. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Well, thanks to all of you for all your replies, but the sheer pleasure of restringing, re-actioning, and re-intonating my Kingston'll have to wait until it gets out of the shop (I've got a set of Smith tapers longing to be strung on it). The volume and tone pots don't behave like they should. Again, thanks!

20. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    This has been my experience as well. I think it's also noticeable on the E. I use DM sr2000's. Big, huge, B string (on a GT-7). You can get a nice growl out of these things too.