Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who uses the mesa boogie 400+?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shaunathan32, Feb 7, 2004.

1. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    I was just wondering some bassists or bands that use the mes boogie 400+ all tube amp. Thanks :)

2. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Me,, I friggin' love it.. Lots of guts. Sounds best with boogie cabs. :bassist:

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Lots and lots and lots of people. They've been making this amp non-stop since 1982, so it's fair to say that there are alot of users out there.

I haven't gotten one yet, but it's on the list!

4. Your's truly
    :smug:

5. Just got one last week. It has the sound I have been wanting for years but I put off making the decision due to weight, valve concerns etc but the 400+ has such a great reputation I just had to do it.

Used it last night with a Mesa Powerhouse 4x10 but found it lacked mid range. Maybe it was the room but I felt that the cab was a bit scooped so I will need to try out others. Maybe Eden, from what I hear they seem to have a more midrange punch. Any suggestions?

6. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    Any popular bassists in bands that use them? I just want to listen to a band or go to a live show maybe to hear what kind of sound they produce for the whole band. Or just solo. I just want to hear what they sound like. Soundfile anyone?

Just the name of a bassist or band that uses it would be really helpful. Thanks guys. :hyper:

7. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    Hey maxcoleman, if i do get a 400+ i would probably get an ampeg cab. I played through some with different heads and they just sound the deepest and most agressive to me which is the kind of sound i want. Tried a SWR and Trace elliot and mesa but ampeg just was deeper and more agressive. Not dull at all.

8. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Max,
    The Eden cab will give you a natural low mid hump. But I have tried the old deisel 4-10 and it killed.!!
    Try this first. You can search for the thread. I think it's Mad Subwoofer's. Pull out all the pull knobs B,T, and V 1+2. Try the Bass at 5,Treb at 5, mid to taste. Then get a "Y" cord or an A/B/Y box and put your signal into BOTH channels at once. I run 1 at 4, and 2 at 2. EQ set pretty flat. This will give you all kinds of mid that CUTS through like crazy. You will want to keep your Mesa 4-10, I bet.. Please report back...
    Bob

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Look for older Boogie Deisel or Road Ready cabs. THE Best. Period. I'm serious.

Famous users? Hmmm... Les Claypool, John Myung, Michael Anthony, that dude from Blues Traveler, Mike Dirnt, Paul McCartney, Sting, D'Arcy, Ben Shepherd, etc., are currently using or have used them.

10. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    The only person that you listed that really applies to the kind of music I play is mike dirnt and sting, and I looked into them and mike dirnt plays a mesa boogie m-2000 while sting uses ampeg. Any other players? Ive heard that AFI uses one but everything ive seen and heard is his SVT-2. I just really wanna hear that mesa 400+.

11. pvriesinga

pvriesinga

Jul 15, 2003
    Sarnia Ontario
    both bassists for tool used them at some point or another. If you listen to the earlier stuff off of Opiate or Undertow, you get a nice feel for the 400+ sound. Some good songs to check out would be Intolerance, Sober, Prison Sex, Part of Me, etc... i hope to acquire one of these amps soon.

Phil Vriesinga

12. Former User: Sold both mine, too heavy. Absolutley Great Amps.
    My only caution is be aware of "Hi Fi" Power hungry cabs, the 400+ won't push them and you'll end up clipping.

13. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    What cabs do you suggest? I was thinking a ampeg 410 HE or HLF.