Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who wants a Trace V8? =P

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by popinfresh, Oct 31, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Heheh, just tricking.. Kinda.

I will most likely end up keeping this thing for a looonngg time, but i'm also just thinking things out.

The one thing that gets to me with the V8 is the distortion is really bright/not thick, and the clean channel isn't too thick for me either (Any V8 owners wanna help me with this, eq wise etc?).
    If I overdrive the power section, it sounds sweet, but I then can't get a clean sound.
    Apart from that, I love it. But I also want a really thick tone, that'll suit everything from hard rock (Think Timmy C/RATM) to a crisp Dirk Lance tone, to fat, gooey funk tone to playing things like Wooten etc.
    The Aggy DB750 keeps catching my eye and was wondering something.. Would asking for a straight up trade of a V8 for DB750 be fair do you think? Is the DB750 worth more? Is the V8 worth more?
    From every bass player i've talked to, the Aggy sounds like *the* amp to have, so it just got me thinking.
    I do love the V8, and i'd hate to see it go, not only for sound but because it's more or less a collectable i suppose. But then again, if I can get a closer sound to that 'one in my head' with another amp, maybe I should do it?
    I'm no way near made of money, and I stretched myself to the limits for the rig I have now, so it's not like I could save up for a DB750, or another amp to run as my clean (and run the V8 overdriven) anytime soon.
    I'm gonna try play a DB750 somewhere.. They're pretty few and far between over here in Aus, so I might be looking for a while though.

What do you guys think? If I played a DB750 and found it was *my* sound, do you think I should go for it? Am I stupid for thinking of letting go of the V8 (would its value go up over the years)? Would that be a fair trade?
    Any other amps you could think of that would suit me?

Cheers :)

2. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    Woah! How loud do you have to turn it up to do that? I haven't even brought mine close to overdriving the power section.

Sorry if that doesn't help with your tone issues. I'm guessing you wouldn't have tried anything that I haven't. If it's not your sound it's not your sound.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    How bout you send the V8 my way and I can send you a nice 400+? :p

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmm, how old is it? How old are the tubes? What tubes are they? I always wanted a 400+, but they're REALLY hard to find here.
    Whereabouts are you from? I don't know how much it'd be to ship my V8 to the states though, if it was similar, we could pay for eachothers amps freight so we didnt lose out?

On second thoughts...Mmmm No =P Heheh

5. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    there was a 400+ on e ebay here last week, went for 2 grand, Im sort of kicking myself for not getting it :scowl:

Im sure uve tried more ampos than me dude but getting of the new markbass amps for clen/slapping and a sansamp of M-80 for distortion could be an idea, I tried the markbass last week and with a quality bass (played a modulas) theyre damn nice. Or a thunderfunk with a pedal for distortion?

By the way if u find a DB 750 to play let me know I wanna try one too! :hyper:

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Half power, 8+ on the master & about 6-7 on gain :)

Vinpaul.. I don't really want too zingy, but still enough top end to give it an edge.
    Mainly, I want thiiick gooey tone full of bootay ;)

I was thinking of saving for the AG500 and using that for clean, though I don't remember it being too thick (i'll go play it again sometime).

7. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    I hear ya, a bass is a bass, booty is where its at ;)
    Still nothing worse than playing anything on G or B and not hearing it at all in the mix. An asdown EVO could be cool for u I reckon, fait bit of booty there, cant remember if it has a footswitch though?

8. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Is that similar to the half power feature on the 100w tube marshall heads? Those amps can get insanely bright when set at 1/2 or 1/4 power, maybe the trace has the same tendency?

As for whether to keep it or not I think you sould sell it if it's not really doing the business for you. It's a great amp and I'm sure you wouldn't have any trouble finding someone who would love it. Good gear like that deserves to played, not sitting around in a collection imo. If I was you I'd be careful about buying a DB750 on reputation without trying it. It's another great amp, probably held in the same high regard on this forum as your trace. That doesn't mean you're going to like it. You could easily end up in the same situation for different reasons.

Can I suggest you try out an svt classic with your schroeder? I know from reading some of your posts that you've had some very ordinary experiences with ampeg, describing them as muddy, clanky etc on occasions. I get totally confused when I read this kind of thing, my svtcl though an epifani 410 sounds stunning (and I used to have a trace vtype). Like me you seem to dig big tube amps and with a very sensitive cab like your schro I think you might be surprised at what a classic can do. People describe them as dirty but if you keep the master on ten they have a great clean tone with the right cab. They're easy to find here in OZ so trying one out should be no problem and you can import them for a reasonable cost (they have a universal transformer). Hopefully I'll have a schro 1212 in a couple of weeks, looking forward to hearing the schro mojo with my svt!

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Damn...too bad you're in Oz. I'd swap you a 400+ in a second for a V-8.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    What power tubes are you running? I agree that Gain 2 is a bit on the bright side (relative to Gain 1), but I have no problem dialing in a thick tone with either channel. What EQ settings are you using?

Tom.

11. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I've got the stock(?) Ruby KT88's in there, with the Sovteks up front.

I usually set it flat (NOT 0-10-0, 5-5-5). Then i'll work little bits from there, never too extremes though really.
    I found one of my favourite tones so far in my drummers place (chipboard floors mind you) was like this:
    Gain - 6, Deep switch in, Bass - 5, Mids (left pushed in) - 6, Treble - 4.

I was using my active Sterling through the passive input..

Care to share some EQ settings for thick/gooey tone Tom? I'm also going change strings (they're dead now, but I had ProSteels on) and maybe the pup in the Sterling to a Nordstrand.
    I would love to use flats, but I slap alot..

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I usually start with the EQ set at 2-10-2, and if the volume is low, I hit the Deep, but I turn that off when I start to crank it. This gets me a pretty kickin' tone (to my ears), though when I hit Gain 2, I usually also hit the Deep (if it was not already on).

Tom.

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    My ultimate definition of 'thick' would be an Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp into a Crown MA-2402 power amp into a stack of four Schroeder 1210 (of course, I haven't heard the El Whappo or Berg NV215 yet -- I highly suspect those might suffice as well).

Push that with a Dingwall 5 or 6 string; Oh, Mama!

14. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    @lo-freq,

Imagine all that(NV215) with a Kern instead of an Ampeg...all I can say is that it sounds intense...

~S~

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yeah, I thought of throwing a Kern pre in there, but I don't know if I could handle that much thickness (I think you may have a sickness ;) ).

16. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey Tom, Just gave that a bash. I had to boost the highs up a little (around 3-4) to get *some* top end (maybe because i've got dead strings) and it sounded pretty good.
    The distortion was better, but the thing with having the deep switch on with distortion I find is that it can get a little muddy and clanky. I don't know if it's my bass setup though that gives the clankiness though. It was very fat though, yet not *as* defined as i'd like (was very bassy when turn up, but when I took the deep switch off, it lost all thickness to it).

I'll keep fiddling with EQ around here (havn't had it like this much) and see what I can pull off.

Cheers :)

17. So are you saying that the V8 doesn't have enough balls in the low end without getting muddy? ie, without the deep switch in?

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Popin..the FIRST thing I'd do would be change those gawd-awful strings. I've tried Pro Steels twice and have never been able to get a decent usable tone out of them regardless of amp settings. They are EXTREMELY muddy with no detail or top end AT ALL. The top end that IS there is just CLANK.

19. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    No no, on Gain 1 you can. It gets real low with no muddyness at all.
    I find with Gain 2 (overdrive) that it seems to either be really bright with not *much* low end, or fat and thick distortion but without much definition (some, but not lots on the low notes, and it starts to get feedback crazy etc when turned up).
    I'm trying to find a good balance between them. IMO both channels can sound really great, it's just with only the one EQ section, the balance isn't too great.

Overdriving the power section though is o-so-sweet. Thick, defined, aggresive, everything :p But if I overdrive the power section, I can't have a clean sound (which I need in some songs).

Cheezewiz - Noted. Any suggestions for thicker/bigger/thumpier sounding strings without losing too much top end (can't be flats, because I slap alot)?

20. do you only have the choice of channel 1 or 2 and not a mix of the two?