Who wants the Cirrus 5 to be Standard 19mm (3/4") Spacing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Poon, Jul 6, 2004.

1. I love the Cirrus with no ifs ands or buts

2. I loved the Cirrus except for the string spacing

3. I loved the Cirrus except for some other reason (specify)

0 vote(s)
  4. I've never cared for the Cirrus. It was a mistake for me to buy one.

0 vote(s)
  5. I've never owned a Cirrus, but have tried one and agree with one of the statements above.

6. I've never owned a Cirrus, and haven't tried one.

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm just wondering...

How many bass players out there who've owned Peavey Cirrus and traded/sold them because they weren't standard string spacing, meaning 19mm. Personally I love the sound of the Cirrus. I found them to be amongst the best bang for the buck botique quality instruments. Their sound, playability...etc is ouf of this world...however I just always wanted them to have a little larger string spacing.

So I ask this question...

Who here loved everything about the Cirrus except the string spacing?

I personally want them to make a wide-neck version (The "Cirrus 5 Poon Edition" Sounds Good) of the bass with 19mm string spacing. That's my only beef, otherwise it would be my near perfect basses. I love them.
  2. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I owned one and didn't have a problem with it at all. I actually felt it was too wide. Though I must say that I'm a Warwick player, so I was well used to a tight spacing to begin with. I feel like I can play faster and easier with the tight spacing.

A wide-neck option surely wouldn't hurt though.
  3. There needs to be a bigger option I reckon!
  4. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I`ve no problems with my Cirrus 4.
    In fact, last Sunday I was measuring the string spacing and was almost 19mm. I know it must be wrong, since most people say it`s 17.5 mm.
    I feel it ok for fingerstyle and slap.

I don`t know about 5`ers or 6`ers, but I`m ok with my 4.
  5. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I hear ya Poon. I mainly use my Cirrus in my band because it has the sound I'm looking for and cuts through well. But when it comes to playing a slap line, I reach for my wide (19mm) Carvin. Just allows me to slap and pop cleaner. But I'd rather play the Cirrus.
  6. Getao

Jun 17, 2004
    Menlo Park, CA
    I love my Cirrus 5 (which is also a fretless)

Are the spacings smaller than normal? I never noticed. I just knew it was a great relief for my smaller hands to play on this thing than my Fender Jazz 5 string :)
  7. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The spacing on the 4 is different than on the 5/6.

8. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Definitely not the same with a 5. Even more with a 6.

That is the reason I dtiched playing my Cirrus. The spacing just wasn't working out, everything else about my Cirrus rocked. I could have skipped a lot of 'not being happy with my instrument' if they offered that option.

Wrote Peavey about that at the time (had one of the early ones), seems they didn't get it. When you step into the 5+ area, you need to offer these things, or how can someone really take you sersiouly? Sure you got players, but you limited how many but not making it usable to the vast community.
  9. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    While I prefer wider spacing myself, it's a mistake to assume that everyone--or even the majority of people--do, or that it's a prerequisite be "taken seriously". Look at Spector, for instance. Are you saying folks don't take Spector seriously because there's no wide-spaced 5 or 6?

10. Deep

May 8, 2002
    I would like to see 19mm also. At least have the option. There are a number of basses I would have looked into and bought if they had the wider spacing. Fender comes to mind also. The only one I think with 19mm is the RB5. It's funny how Sadowsky, Lakland and now even Zon on the 519 model, and many other makers have "Fender" spacing on 5 string models, but Fender doesn't have "Fender" spacing on all but the RB5.
  11. do u got a pic of a cirrus or wutever........ :confused:
  12. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
  13. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC

I am sayign there is a population that can't consider owning one due to the spacing issue. Spector falls into that category, yes. Players who want slimmer spacing can't consider owning an MTD 535 cause of the reverse issue, same with lakland and many others. Keep in mind there are still tons of people wanting to shell out a couple of grand for a bass that have absolutely no idea what spacing is ideal for them.

So, maybe saying they can't be taken seriousy was a stretch, I can see that. Fair statement. Basically, there are a tons of basses tht you either want or don't want due to the way it is, since there are no modfications available.

You call Roscoe to get one built for ya, they give you that option. Fenders have enough models out there to fill out both types. I would have thought that if Peavey was trying to build a high end bass, they would have given that option to the customer, but it ain't there.

It still is a great bass, just one I can't consider bonding with anymore.
  14. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I still think this is a valid topic. The Cirrus Custom Shop "SHOULD" offer different spacing.
  15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Yes Please!
    How about 20mm.?
  16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I refuse to consider any bass that has less than 19mm spacing. I've owned some very nice 17mm basses but my right hand never feels comfortable.

I must be in the minority, because companies like Peavey and Ernie Ball and G&L appear to have no interest in my money.
  17. I would love to see the Cirrus with 19mm spacing.
  18. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I absolutely second that.
  19. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I would definitely prefer it with the wider spacing. I have an American Millenium 5 Plus that I want to sell because the spacing is too small. I simply love my Pedulla j2000 5 with the 19mm spacing.
  20. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Actually, "standard" spacing for a 5 IS 17mm, which is what the Cirrus is. "Wide" spacing for a 5 is standard for a 4, which is 19-20mm. I dug into this a while back. My thread's around here somewhere on it.

All that said, however, while I love my Cirrus' as they are, if they did offer a "wide 5" I'd probably like to try it. Not a big problem for me, however, 'cause I already have both an 18mm (Roscoe) and a 19mm (MTD) 5.