Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who Wants Their Mind Blown?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Oct 29, 2005.

1. I know this is a bass forum, but this is seriously so good that I have to post it anyway. I was gonna put it in the Misc section, but I'm afriad it's just gonna get overlooked there.
    Anyway, here's a 2-part question:
    Who here has heard of Matt Savage?
    Who here has heard of Autism?

Autism is a mental condition that (in sever cases) basically causes you to block out the world completely and leads to severe social problems. But sometimes it can be a blessing in disguise, as is the case with Matt Savage. It's often linked to "savants" people with mental problems etc, but who excell in one field like art, math, music etc. If you've seen the movie Rain Man, you know what I mean.
    Now, this KID Matt Savage is now about 13 years old. He's been playing and composing Jazz since he was 8. Honestly, he's one of the best jazz composers I know of. Even if you didn't know he's only a 13-year-old kid, you'd be impressed with the music he creates. Here is a link to his website where you can find audio samples, CD's for sale (which I intend to buy in the near future) and a video of him performing a song live.
    www.savagerecords.com

For the video, scroll down the main page until you see a picture of him with is arm in the air, holding the hand of his bass player. Click the caption under the picture to download.
    Prepare to have your minds blown.

2. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    :eek:

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Consider my mind not blown.

Before I get berated, the kid isn't playing anything I haven't already heard. When I heard Sleepytime Gorilla Museum; mind instantly blown. Ditto for Ephel Duath, Miles Davis' Pangaea, Bad Brains, Botch, and countless others. All these bands have (or had) a completely original sound. All were or still are cutting edge.

Talented for his age (especially considering his condition), but so are a ton of child prodigys.

4. RhythmBassist01

RhythmBassist01

Aug 31, 2005
    Poor kid, looks like His mind is brain-washed.

5. i think thats because of the autism

6. I was doing sound at Birdland when he played there. To tell you the truth, when I first met him I didn't think he had any condition. He seemed like a typical nervous kid. His hands aren't quite big enough yet to execute what's got going on upstairs but I'm sure he'll grow into it. Another thing, I didn't know he got a Bosendorfer endorsement! We already had one at Birdland from when Oscar Peterson requested it. Boy was that thing a chore to move around the stage! IIRC, Matt also did some stuff with Marian McPartland?

While living in Lawrence, KS I met and played with another young painist named Eldar Djangirov, who's also been featured on Marian's show. While at Birdland I also worked with yet another former McPartland guest, Taylor Eigsti. Not to take anything away from the other two, but this guy is really saying something. When he performed at Birdland he had Julian Lage, another youngster, on guitar. I got to hang with them and they told me some great stories about working in Gary Burton's latest band.

Bringing it around to bassists, how about that first album by Miroslav Vitous? The song "When Face Gets Pale" is, IMHO, the best one on Infinite Search. What's weird is that the album Tones for Joan's Bones by Chick Corea has some of Infinite Search on it, minus When Face Gets Pale.

One more. His name is Hermann Szobel. He is no longer making music but copies of vinyl and tape float around.

Brad

7. My mom used to work as a nurse at a group home for autistic people, adults mostly. You'd be amazed how high-functioning they can be. In many cases they can live a perfectly "normal" life and get along just fine on their own, but still be labeled as Autistic. And another thing, I spent a good deal of time with her "clients" at this group home. And a few of them had the same thing going on as Matt, except with art. Should've seen the paintings they came up with, amazing stuff.
    I can't wait to hear what Matt will come up with in the future when, like you said, he grows into his talent. I found this to be incredible. Not just the fact that he's still like 13 and able to play, but his advanced knowledge and understanding of music. He can compose music and arrange it like a seasoned pro already. He has like 5 CDs out before he's 13, it's amazing to me. I wanna get all his CD's as soon as I have some money, from what I've heard I don't think I'll be dissappointed.

8. Yeah, an old friend of mine has a son who is autistic. With him it was a little more obvious that he was autistic but now that he's older he's much more relaxed around people. He started tinkering on the piano at around four years old and from that point on he has made incredible leaps and bounds in a very short time. Early on his father insisted that I spend time with him and to teach him what little I could. Well, he has blossomed into one hell of a pianist and it's a shame he doesn't get more exposure. When I moved back to NY I could no longer teach him but we still keep in touch.

My mom also used to work with autistic and handicapped people. You're right about how you wouldn't believe how sharp and clever they can be. As a kid and not ever meeting someone with a handicap it's easy to just take the word "handicapped" and give it face value. Often times the person can surpass a normal person in some areas, like painting for example!

9. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    One of my best friends is autistic, he tends to ramble alot, but other than that he's grand.

10. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Yeah, there are TONS of child prodigies. :rolleyes:

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Although autism is well-documented and diagnosed by professionals, I think that savants and young geniuses are marvels that show us how odd and enigmatic the human brain is. I saw Matt's playing on a TV show, and I have to say that it is very impressive what "mentally imbalanced" people can do. :)

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    You are taking my comment out of context.

I never said that there were "tons of child prodigies." I said a ton of child prodigies are extremely talented which is exactly what makes them so prodigal.

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've heard Matt plenty...he's local and his CDs get lots of radio airplay around here.

Good? Yeah, for a kid who's only been playing a few years.

He still has a long way to go...definitely monster chops but he's not that musical YET.

14. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Hey John Funkhouser was my first bass teacher. He moved to Boston after about a year of teaching me.

Any of you guys know him, or what he's been up to besides playing with Matt Savage?

He's a brilliant bassist, pianist, and composer, by the way.

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I had him as an ear training teacher one semester at berklee. Nice guy, great player(tore it up on the piano in class), the students didn't like him all that much though, couldn't get behind his teaching style for the most part. I had no problems with him, I thought he was fair and knowledgeable.
    in my life.

16. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Oh yeah I forgot about that, I gather he got a pretty good deal teaching at Berklee.