1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

who wants to make me some wood knobs

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rdhbass, May 11, 2006.

1. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    without me going to the accessories wanted board, i was wanting to know of anyone making wood knobs in their spare time. I am really looking for knobs in an unusual wood that has to be Black Locust wood. I thought of making my own, but it is hard to even find Locust dowels online. thanks.

2. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    all you need to make your own is a router bit and wood, doesn't have to be a dowl. It's actually very easy and fun to make. I think hambone has posted a really good diagram of how to do this, hopefully he'll chime in.

3. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    I guess i could make them that way, and get a teenie tiny circle cutter i guess, then sand the heck out of each piece. I don't think i'll worry about inserts and the like. Thanks for everyone that pm'd me and replied to me about my situation.
    Rob.

4. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    If I'm remembering correctly, Hambone had the wood blank in his drill press while the router was perpendicular to it. The router, obviously, was used to take the material off. I'm assuming there wouldn't be tons of sanding required.

The one time I made them, I did it the hard way. Plug cutters and tons of sanding.

5. maybass77

maybass77 swm

Feb 26, 2006
    southeast michigan
    check out roger @ thgknobs.com. he just made me some pink ivorywood dome knobs.

6. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    and just how much were those knobs?

7. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
  8. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    An easier way to go about this procedure is to purchase a 3/4" plug cutter and a piece of the wood you require. you get the right size knob, and a lot less work.