1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who wants to take this idea and write a book with it? Please?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bard2dbone, Aug 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Who wants my idea? I want to see a story made out of it. But I've discovered that all my writing is either songs...or shortly abandoned.

I am too freakin lazy to write the book that I wish this got used for.

The idea started from a dream that I had:

There had been a cosmic event a while back (a couple of generations or so) that caused rare people to spontaneously develop superhuman abilities. (Yeah. I know you can guess which movie I'd watched before I went to sleep. I didn't say the whole concept was new. Just wait...)

It's been long enough since people started developing powers that when someone does, it's not a huge deal. You don't for example, end up on the nightly news unless your event happened really publicly.

Now here's the part my brain added that I wish I could just go get books to read right now...

Yes. People spontaneously develop abilities occasionally.

But who says suddenly gaining a superpower means you'll automatically get one that's cool?

Or useful?

Or even dignified?

What if MOST new powers are LAAAAAAAAAAAAAME?

For example:

You can suddenly hear thoughts! They are the thoughts of lice within fifty or so yards of you. Or...

You can rip sheet metal with your eyebrows! But only sheet metal. And only with your eyebrows. Or...

You are suddenly able to lift incredible weights...of corn. Or...

You can predict the future. But before you can tell anyone your prediction, you fall into a coma-like state until the event you foretold happens. Or...

You suddenly seem to be able to teleport...But it turns out you are merely disconnecting yourself from the Earth's 'hold' (gravity, inertia, stuff like that) so you're actually shooting westward at around a thousand miles an hour. Unfortunately you quickly run out of landmass and try to 'hold your jump' longer to end up on the next continent over...But in stead, Earth moves away underneath you and you suffocate in space less than twenty minutes after getting your power. Or...

You can shapeshift to look convincingly like anyone you've studied enough of how they look to know in detail. But you can't ever turn back to 'yourself' because how much time does anyone ever spend studying their own pictures? Also, since most people you 'examine' in enough detail to imitate properly are the ones you find sexy, you will spend most of your time awkwardly sex-changed and uncomfortable about it. Or...

You are suddenly able to become invisible. But usually not completely. People will see your pancreas or something kind of float by. And you don't concentrate to become transparent. You concentrate to be visible. Or...

You get the idea. Don't you?

I just dig the idea of this world where, every once in a while someone walking down the street will suddenly fly up into the air screaming because they just spontaneously got the power of flight. Because of course they'd be capable at it right away. Right? You know like how you could walk just fine the hour that you were born. What? You couldn't? As if suddenly having a completely new way to get around with no prior knowledge of what propels you, how to steer, how to stop or land, which thoughts or muscles effect what happens while you're in the air, any of that?

I'm sure it's no worse than suddenly finding yourself at the controls of an F16 with no knowledge of what an aircraft is...while flying...at 600 knots...and 200 feet off the ground. That would ALWAYS turn out fine. Right?

Like that. But I'm lazy.

Dammit.

2. Get a writer.
    Your ideas. Her words.
    Share the profits.
    My sis-in-law is doing a book signing today.
    I'll hook you up for a percentage of any book/comic/movie/ad/toy/clothing sales.
    If you're too lazy to do that, then just go take a nap and dream about writing that book.:roflmao:

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  3. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    You can probably tell from what I put on here from that dream. But...

My brain is a weird place sometimes.

4. FingerDub

FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
    I had that idea once where I got x-ray vision but it only worked on clothed women.

5. R.E.M sleep takes you places you wouldn't normally go while conscious.

6. You been reading the ads in the comics for which the OP's Dream is targeted.
    These are next to the body builder ads with the skinny geek getting sand kicked in his face, and the ad for chewing gum that turns your mouth black.
    image.

S-Bigbottom and FingerDub like this.
  7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    What he said.

There are other options also. I say give it your best shot at working out as much of the book as you possibly can on your own. Have a go at writing it yourself, and then - if you have a little money to spend - there is an editor for any and every job.

I took a course in writing/self publishing when I wrote my book. I'd have never finished it if I didn't. There was a deadline for a 10 best books (300 people took the course), and the winners got their money back. I got my money back :). But that's not what I wanted to say. I had an accountability partner throughout the process, and she told me that a guy she worked with wrote an excellent book, that was doing really well. She went to pick his brain about it and he said, "I'm going to level with you. I didn't write the book." What he did was he found an editor that told him they'd sit and talk for a few hours, and then he'd have a book. It cost him a bit, but his book was out, in his name. Sad that this kind of thing happens more often than we think.

PS. I wrote my book. Pretty much did my own editing too, as the editor I hired didn't do much of anything outside of making some suggestions.

Last note, if you're seriously considering this. And I'm not saying this to discourage you, only to be realistic should you start tossing a lot of $$ around. The same thing was told to me by people on Talkbass when I was considering my book. It ain't easy to sell books, especially fiction (I was told, especially non-fiction :), which is what my book is). Once the book is done it's about as difficult to sell as an original CD. But that doesn't mean you can't, or won't sell. Just means that the work AFTER publication is as tough (or tougher) than the writing itself, and you'd best have a great attitude about it.

If you think I might be able to help you at all, feel free to PM me. I've helped a couple of people get books published and marketed since I finished mine, and it makes me happy to do that. If and when I can.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.