1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who Was Jimmy Hendrix's Bass Player

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by srxplayer, Apr 12, 2006.

1. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Been listening to some Jimmy lately and was listening to some of the bass lines in his music. I was impressed. The drummer is really good too.

Everything about Hendrix was about his amazing guitar skills but his band was pretty good too.

Just wondering who his bass player was.

2. One of them was Noel Redding the other I dont remember.

3. That would be Noel Redding, although Hendrix played a few of the basslines himself.

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

The "Band Of Gypsys" was Jimi's post-"Experience" band. Billy Cox was the bass player.

5. ^I was just about to say that.

And BTW srxplayer, it's Jimi not Jimmy;)

6. Noel Redding,Billy Cox,Jack Cassidy.Oh and Jimi!!

7. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    Err, actually Billy didn't play in Experience, it was Noel, after Experience he formed "Band of Gypsys", and this was the band that had Billy and played at woodstock.

But yeah, Noel was originally a guitarist and Jimi was a perfectionist, so in the studio he played many of the bass parts himself.

8. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Jack Cassidy is one most people miss. He played a track or two on Electric Ladyland?

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Dave Finnegan played "bass" on Crosstown Traffic. He played the bassline on a Hammond B4. Just giving the man his due.

10. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Jeez, doesn't anybody use the search feature?!
    Just this week, there's been a "Redding vs. Cox" poll right here! :eyebrow:
    Also, it's Jack "Casady", not "Cassidy", even though the credits in "Electric Ladyland" mispelled it that way.

11. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    From the words of Mitch Mitchell( Hendrix's Main Drummer and Favorite) mitch said Jimi had plans of dumping Bill Cox and having either Jack Bruce or Jack Casady join on bass. He was also going to try to work with Miles Davis , The Brecker Brothers , Motown session players , and tons of other projects. Jimi also planned to reunited with Lonnie Youngblood , a tenor sax player who played with jimi before he was famous. Lonnie said in an article that they had planned to form a Soul/R&b type band. But sadly Mr Hendrix died. It wouldve been really neat to see him in all these collaborations.

12. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    You mean Mike Finnegan. I've played with him out in California. Awesome B-3 cat, awesome guy, and very humble as well. He was playing in my friend's band for a while, I got to sit in with them frequently. I had heard a few years ago he was playing with the Walter Trout band, though I could be mistaken.

13. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I had also heard he was going to work with Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. They were going to be called HELP....

14. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i just got a great bootleg of jimi in the studio with jack bruce. i forget who the drummer is though. it was 1968. killer stuff and i am really not a hendrix fan, but i love jack bruce.

15. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    PM sent.

16. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    That would be Mike Finnegan

17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I love Jack Bruce and think him and Hendrix would have been an interesting pairing, but I think Jimi's soloing soared the best over a groove player like Billy Cox. Just my two pennies.

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Thanks for the correction. I loved his explanation of him being on the record. He said that it wasn't like he was special or anything, he just happen to be there. One of the quotes was: "It wasn't like Jimi was sitting around saying, 'We need a Hammond. Get me Finnegan!'"

19. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Funny thing was, he told me he wasn't even supposed to be there that day, he just happened to be in the neighborhood and stopped in to hang with a friend.

20. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    In an Ed McMann Voice "you are correct sir"

I knew that :rollno: Don't know why I spelled it wrong. Everybody spells my name wrong. I do that stuff when I type in a hurry.