Who was or is the best guitarist ever?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nicklas, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Nicklas

Mar 15, 2003
    this is a hard quesetion i know......
  2. ToastyBass

Dec 28, 2002
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Stevie Stevens.

My original band were fortunate enough to open for Billy Idol when hes was in Australia. Stevie an absolute monster musician.
  4. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    phil and tommy emmanuel
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Paul McCart....oops, sorry. Andreas Sergovia, Joe Pass, Mark Knopfler, Lindsay Buckingham, and Dean DeLeo are some of my favorites.
  6. I'm going to throw in Stevie Ray Vaughn. I never really listened to him or that style of blues/rock until I read about a tribute concert that Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker, Bonnie Raitt and some other people did to SRV in Guitar World. He's pretty well-respected and known as it is, but I imagine he'd be in the Clapton god-like status if he hadn't died.

I'm with Stephanie..Gilmore is awesome. I'm sitting here listening to "Wish You Were Here" album :) The solo in Comfortably Numb is one of my favorites.
  7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Randy Rhoads
  8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Phil Keaggy.

Although I'm a big fan of Jimmy Bruno.
  9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Phil Keaggy

His playing is absolutely unbelievable. He makes the most complicated runs I've ever heard anyone attempt sound nothing short of effortless. To see him live is an extremely humbling experience. His technical mastery is at a level few every attain.

Seriously, listen to the song "Happy" from "Play Thru Me", it's amazing. And all that with only 9 fingers.:eek:
  10. Steve Howe, Stevie Ray Vaughn (R.I.P.), Eric Clapton, David Torn, and Adrian Belew are among my favorites. I hate shred guitar.
  11. I am amazed that no one has mentioned Wes Montgomery yet. You can't have a 'greatest guitarist' thread without him. If you don't know who he was, Google will help get you started. Anyplace with a decent Jazz section will have recordings of him. Well worth checking out. :bassist:
  12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I don't think anyone has had more influence on the guitar than Chet Atkins. He is the most recorded solo instrumentalist in music history, and has earned 11 Grammys and 9 CMA "Instrumentalist of the Year" awards.
  13. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    As in the similar thread on drummers, I can't pick just one, so here's a list of a few that I really like.

Frank Zappa
    Jeff Beck
    Adrian Belew
    Steve Howe
    Jimmy Page
    Johnny Winter
    Scott Henderson
    Steve Vai
    David Gilmour
    Mike Stern
    Tommy Bolin
    Andres Segovia
  14. Nicklas

Mar 15, 2003
    i vote for Eric Clapton a guy who is not out to flash......sometimes he even looks shy on stage.....and i really like Cat Steven on accustic this guy is a much underrated artist he is a great guitarr player and singer/songwriter.
  15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Allan Holdsworth, because he created a whole new universe on his own.
  16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

17. Another vote for Andreas Segovia here.

Segovia used and taught the method of preparation, attack and release which produces superior tone and is the proper way for the instrument to be played no matter what style you choose. JMHO

Francisco Tárrega and John Dowland deserve some honorable mention also.

For what its worth, Les Paul once said in an interview that the guitarist that produces the cleanest tone in popular music is Eric Clapton.
  18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    In no real order because none compare...

1.) David Gilmour
    2.) Ed Crawford
    3.) John Scofield
    4.) Tony Iommi
    5.) Brent Mason

just a few of my favorites.
  19. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    But Jimmy needed only 6... err.. wrong thread, sorry:)
  20. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i'll add Warren Haynes of Gov't Mule and the ABB--as a guitarist he's quite accomplished both straight up and slide--coupled with the fact that he is usually covering all rythym and lead duties as well as all vocal duties(when in the mule)I think he's the complete package!

Derek Trucks aint bad on the slide either;)

some old time rockers:

Tommy Bolin
    Leslie West
    Ritchie Blackmore
    Ronnie Montrose
    Duane Allman