Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who was that guy...

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by flint, Aug 30, 2004.

1. flint

flint

Aug 24, 2004
    GA
    Howdy all,

I'm a newbie here; and to the DB for that matter, having recently acquired both a DB (and a teacher) to help me transition from the 98 lb. t-bone playing weakling into a bass rumbling Charles Atlas.

But for now all I need is an itch scratched-I have an artist that I hope someone here can help me identify.

The clues that I have are scarce, and I wish I could give more but here goes- Several months ago our NPR station had a highlight of a URB player on one of it's jazz shows (either "jass beyond", or "the jazz spot"-syndicated shows both). Now what made this player stand out was his vocal accompaniment to his URB. Now I know lots of jazz URB players probably sing, but this guy was almost singing "through" his bass, and it was difficult to tell where his voice left off and the bass picked up. It was wonderful.

now I may have been just a little out of it that night. It was late after all, and that is probably the reason that I dont remember more; but can anyone finish the sentence " it might be...." ?

thanks

chortle_nut

2. If you're talking about singing a unison line while playing with the bow, the two "could-be" guys are Slam Stewart and Major Holley.

If you're talking singing and scatting while accompanying themselves on bass, that could be either Jay Leonhart or Jim Ferguson.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Maybe also Red Mitchell. But was it just a show where they played this guys music and somebody else talked about him? Or did they actually have interviews etc. with the actual player?

Cause Slam's gone, Red's gone, Mule's gone. Jim Ferguson and Jay Leonhart are still around, but they're more like traditional vocalists who just happen to be bassists.

4. flint

flint

Aug 24, 2004
    GA
    it was a show with the fellows music, I don't recall any interview.

I want to say that it was bowed, not pizz.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Sounds like either Slam or Mule. I can't remember which one hummed in unison and which one was up an octave...

6. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    The Mule sang in unisson, Slam up an octave.... even if Slam is my favourite, Major was still very impressive with his big deep voice..

NUNO

7. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Sounds like Holley because you mentioned you had trouble telling where the bass ended and the voice began........ Major's voice was quite low and unique.

Slam was one of the all time greats. What an all around monster he was. Too often overlooked IMO.

8. flint

flint

Aug 24, 2004
    GA
    Thanks for all the replys

are there any particular recordings that you can point to as "must have" from Slam, Mule, or Holley?

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Mule is another nickname for Major Holley.

10. flint

flint

Aug 24, 2004
    GA
    my mama always told me....newbie is as newbie does... ;)

11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    There's a recording that has them playing together, called "Shut Yo' Mouth" on the Delos label.

DE 1024
    13491 1024 2

(I'm not sure how to intereperate the cat. number, so put it above as it appears numerous times on the cover)