Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who was the bass player from Rollins Band?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by phishaholik, Sep 18, 2005.

1. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Just as the title states. Who was the bass player from Rollins Band, and has he done anything since? Some of his lines are the best I have ever learned, especially the line from Liar.

Thanks

Mike

2. Andrew Weir (or is it Weisz? somebody correct me about his last name... I don't have the albums handy) was the bassist on their first two or three records, and then, from "Weight" onward, the bassist in question was a man by the name of Melvin Gibbs. So, to answer your question, Melvin Gibbs is the guy you're looking for. He's done some work with Ronald Shannon Jackson and Vernon Reid, and some other interesting stuff since his days with the Rollins Band.

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    andrew weiss and melvin gibbs. there was a third guy on the last album, but i honestly dont recall who he was.

i hear andrew weiss is playing with the butthole surfers. melving gibbs is doing this fusion jazz thing called harriet tubman i believe.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I just picked up some Gibbs on an album called Raw Meet...with guitarist Elliot Sharp & drummer Lance Carter. Calling it 'raw' would be an understatement.

5. The bass player in Mother Superior is Marcus Blake, although he is a good bassist he is no match for Melvin Gibbs or Andrew Weiss.

P.S. I gotta check out that Raw Meet cd...

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    If your into effects, check out Andrew Weiss's Wartime album.....some pretty cool sonics!!

7. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    actually, Mother Superior was hired en masse by Rollins-- they've been around for a while. Kinda like how Neil Young hired Crazy Horse.

8. Andrew Weiss' playing on The End Of Silence was very inspiring.. especially the song "Grip".

9. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

Dave Siff is not only a good respectable man, he also has a fine tast and knowledge of Rollins Band music, wine and amps. Simply put, I agree. "Grip" floored me.

10. Heh.. thanks, man. :)
    But, seriously.. to this day, I must have listened to that song 500 times, and it still blows me away. I remember reading his modest description of that bass line as, "Starting on the low E and going up to the high E, and trying to do something interesting in between." Umm, yeah! It worked.

11. If you want to hear Melvin Davis absolutely kicking A$$ on bass, pick up the CD One Nation Under a Re-Groove by The Clinton Administration!!!!!!! :bassist: :bassist:

This is a CD of P-Funk covers!!! It has Clyde Stubblefield (James Brown - the worlds most sampled drummer) on drums, Robert Walter on B3 (wicked nasty), Phil Upchurch on guitar. This CD is a must have. Incredible!!!!!

12. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    How did Melvin Davis get into this thread? He's a bad@$$, fo' sho'! But I don't think he played for the Rollins band...

13. Melvin Gibbs played on Weight and Come In And Burn.

allmusic.com is such a good resource to end these kinds of arguments.

14. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Yes, it did.

15. I saw Melvin Gibbs play with Harriet Tubman in New York back in January. Its a trio with Brandon Ross on Guitar (Bill Frisell meets David Torn) and JT Lewis on drums (a funkier Ronald Shannon Jackson). It's very improvisational and intense. Not from sheer volume, but the mood of their music was so deep and powerful. I spoke to Melvin briefly after their set. Incredible show, seeing as how David Fiuczynski and Vernon Reid played after him.
    Andrew Weiss was a great player too. Didn't he end up in Ween?

16. I got the first Harriet Tubman cd and it is pretty good. How I envy you!!! And yes Andrew Weiss was playing with Ween, I don't know if he still is with them though.

17. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    melvin gibbs is one of my heroes, i don't know why i haven't picked up anything else that he's been involved with.

any rollins fans should check out weighting, a jam-like album done before the band recorded weight. awesome stuff!

18. This turned into a Melvin Gibbs post!!!! :D

On that note:
    Rollins also released last year the complete sessions of "COME IN AND BURN" Great tone from Melvin Gibbs.

Also check out "Insert band here" a live cd with the original lineup... very good!!!

19. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    I've bought this CD and I have to say WOW! Everything here is a joyful listening but that Gibbs guy really masters groove! Tracks like "Frog and Toe" and "Guernica" are must-listenings for everyone who wants to go deep in his understanding of those slow grooves. And the sound of the bass ... ohhh, the sound!

P.S. JimK, this is not the first time we jump on the same listenings. You have good ears, bro! ;)

20. Andrew Weiss has been a longtime collaborator with the boys in WEEN - done a lot of bass and production on their earlier albums. WEEN's bass player is Dave Dreiwitz.