1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who was the bassist for Carla Thomas on Wattstax?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassinplace, Jul 17, 2012.

1. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Anyone know? Little help? Thanks! :help: :)

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Duck Dunn RIP

3. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

Booker T & the MG's were the studio musicians and backup band on live gigs for almost all the Volt/Stax artists (along with the Bar-Kays, the Mar-Keys and Memphis Horns).

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm pretty sure it was the very underrated James Alexander from the Bar-Kays.

5. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Yeah, that was my guess too. The Bar-Kays played at Wattstax, so it would make sense. I'll probably go with that. Just wondering if there was an outside chance that anyone knew for sure. It's a pretty far out in left field question, I know. That cat is laying down some heavy stuff, whoever he is.

6. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

According to Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wattstax the Bar-Kays are listed as playing at Wattstax and BT & the Mg's are not. Most of the Volt/Stax stable participated so the Bar-Kays were probably the backing band.

7. jmela

jmela

Jul 24, 2007
    I think Booker T quit working with Stax in 1970 or so; movie's from '73.

Nobody looked better than the Bar-Kays in those suits!

BarKays_Dance.

8. DHowardAir

DHowardAir

Apr 26, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Love those BAR-KAYS !!

9. I love that song, great voice....especially the Wattstax version....James Alexander on bass.

10. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    For most of the acts, according to Unsung Con Funk Shun, under a previous name, was backing Rufus Thomas and the Bar Kays were their mentors

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    James Alexander is the bassist for the band Booker T put together for the White House tribute to Memphis that has been airing on PBS lately.