Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who was the first bassist to use chorus/flanger?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, May 11, 2002.

1. I picked up New Order's "Academy" video in a charity shop last week (some good bits when they're actually playing as a live band and not using sequenced basslines/drums),
    and was considering Peter Hook's comments in a couple of interviews (Bass Player, The Guitar Magazine), moaning about "his sound" getting copied/ripped off by The Cure, Cocteau Twins etc.

if he means that chorused bass tone, who was the first to use it?
    as far as I know, Peter Hook first used it on record on "24 HRS" on Joy Division's 1980 album Closer.

this predates The Cure's Simon Gallup using chorus/flanger on the 1981 Cure album Faith, and also the Cocteau Twins around 1982.

but Steven Severin of Siouxsie & The Banshees used a chorused bass tone on "Israel" also in 1980.

Barry Adamson of Magazine used chorus on "The light pours out of me" in 1978. he, like Peter Hook in Joy Division days, used a Rickenbacker 4001.
    Magazine also used Joy Division/New Order producer Martin Hannett on later albums.

so who was the first?

however, in genres other than new wave, did Pink Floyd use chorus on bass before this?

also in jazz/funk etc, did Jaco, Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke, Bootsy Collins (no stranger to effects:D), Jeff Berlin?

2. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    Anthony Jackson use a flanger design by himself...

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jaco, Bootsy, Alphonso Johnson, Ralphe Armstrong etc all used some sorta chorus in the '70s.
    I distinctly recall Armstong using a Maestro chorus pedal.
    The guys in the Average White Band used chorus on their basses in the '70s(I'm thinking of the Person To Person LIVE album).

Some local Jazz-Funk guys used chorus back in the '70s...

Clark Dark likes this.
  4. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I think Anthony Jackson used his flanger(or an MXR Phaser) on "For the Love of Money" by the O'Jays...way back.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The " For the Love of Money" intro is a classic!
    Anthony Jackson also used a lot of flange on his 70's work with Al Dimeola! There is even a flange patch on the new Boss GT-6B named for Anthony Jackson:D

6. Roger Water's uses a flanger on "Have a Cigar" and it sounds oh so funkayyyyyyyy

7. Pink Floyd "have a cigar" 1975,

O'Jays "For the love of money" 1974
    -interestingly that sounds like Anthony Jackson was using a pick too-

a funk predecessor of the gothic, doomful bass intro to "The Holy hour" by The Cure, perhaps?:p

I suppose the introduction of MXR and Electroharmonix effect pedals, and subsequently Boss pedals inevitably meant that they'd get used on bass at some point.

apparently in the UK a musicians union loophole meant that session musicians would get paid double if they used an effect pedal (it qualified as an extra instrument...), hence over-use of wah etc....

8. How about this? Chris Squire, 1972, on Yes' Fragile...the tune is Heart of the Sunrise.

9. um, I can't hear any effect on Chris Squire's bass in "heart of the sunrise"- it sounds like his Rick maybe with a bit of distortion.

there might be a phaser/flanger somewhere in all-bass "the fish" also on Fragile, though.

while on the subject of prog, Geddy Lee plays a nice chorused intro to "the trees" (1978)- sounds like a Jazz bass-?

10. listen to the part after the intro, when he plays that smooth riff...that's definitely chorused.

11. had another listen- I see which bit you mean-
    it sounds more like a tremolo effect though- a bit like the Leslie speaker effect used by John Paul Jones on Led Zeppelin's "heartbreaker".

I had a look at Chris Squire's 1973 interview in the Bass Heroes book- unfortunately no mention of a chorus or tremolo effect, only a Maestro Brassmaster fuzz pedal.

12. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I hate to quibble here, but the effect is "Have a Cigar" is a phaser. Flange and phase are close, but not the same effect. And as for "H.O.T.S.", Chris double-tracked the bass in certain sections(namely the last "How can the wind..." part). In that section, he arpeggiates the chords like a classical guitarist might. He and Steve Howe have a knack for highlighting their parts with effects, tastefully. For tremelo, check out "Starship Trooper" from The Yes Album. He also used a wah on the ascending lead line on "The Fish". Peace

13. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Tom Hamilton from Aerosmith had the flange thing going on in the early 70's, Listen to the beginning of Sweet Emotion!

14. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

In a strange coincidence(?) there is also a patch on the GT-6B called Emotion - which made me immediately think of Sweet Emotion by Aerosmith!!

And even more scarey there is a patch called 'Fieldy's' which immediatley made me think of taking the thing back to the shop!!!!:D :D ;)

15. :confused:

if there is an effect on that it's a very subtle use of chorus.

or are you referring to another version?

16. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    IIRC, Anthony Jackson used a Maestro Phaser on For the Love of Money.

Also, there have been many interviews with Bootsy Collins and Larry Graham about how Jimi Hendrix had an influence on them and their effects use way back in the late 60's/early 70's. I'm sure they at least tried a chorus/flanger as soon as they got their hands on one...

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yep, I'm sure the first use of chorus or flange on bass was long before 1980. However, the bassists MTR listed definitely had a new sort of sound going. I've noticed many had tones kinda like Peter Hook's, but nobody else really got the same sound. Like you said he whines about Simon Gallup copying him, but even with so many like aspects (pick, chorus, chords/melodies/up high on the G, slung down around his knees), nobody gets the two mixed up!

I think I heard Peter say once that the chorus was Bernard's idea. Hmm, well he said that about the Shergold 6-string bass, but I'd guess it also holds for the chorus. Could have also been Hannett, or he could have "borrowed" the idea for Magazine.

Actually the one track that jumped out at me as a blatant Hook rip-off was "Faith and Healing" by Ian McCulloch! Been awhile since I heard it however.

18. I think it's largely down to jealousy on Peter Hook's part- The Cure achieving greater commercial success.
    Gallup is definitely technically better (Hook makes quite a few mistakes in the video mentioned) and also a more diverse player.

interestingly, there are two Simon Gallup fansites,

http://www.culthero-simon.de/frame.htm
    http://simonfanclub.homestead.com/

- but none I know of for Peter Hook-
    but this is probably down to looks.....

a similarity between Barry Adamson of Magazine and Peter Hook is that neither really studied the traditional use of the bass guitar - apparently Hook only took up bass as guitar had already been taken by Bernard Sumner- hence his "frustrated guitarist" antics on New Order's tracks with sequenced basslines/drums.
    Barry Adamson's also the better musician- as proved by the diversity of his solo material.

19. FiedelP

FiedelP

May 24, 2002
    Hamburg, Germany
    I'm pretty sure, Hook is not so much about Chorus. Did anyone mention Pastorious. He used a lot of chorus (didn't like the sound). And even Hook, at least in my opionion, overused it much in New Order after 1984. Just Matsch, to use a german word. What he was doing in Joy Division, esp. Love will tear us apart and 24 hours has much more taste.
    I don't think, that hook ever had to be jealous of the Cure. Although I like Gallup too. Hooks' lines are much more moving, they're so sensitive, often sad, but angry and aggressive at the same time. And they fit so well in the songs. Listen to how he's going with Curtis vocals in Atmosphere. Easy line, but it works so well. If you ask me, the Cure definetly followed Joy Division in some way. But they had a unique sound of their own right from the start. They're far from being any kind of copycats. But for both is true, if you ask me, their sound is crap. It doesn't sound like bass any more, it's like eating to many sweet things if you're hungry. Works at the start but causes disgust very soon. Makes every bass sound the same, overprocessed and dead.Ketchup.To add just one thing: Hook never played a Rickenbacker, it was a Yamaha Rickenbacker Copy RB 1200. By the time of Closer he started using another Yamaha kind of precision copy that was stolen later with other New Order gear.
    Dirk

20. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle