Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who Was w/Jeff Beck?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rickbass, Feb 24, 2001.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I always have to watch videos of Fri/Sat night TV because of gigs, so I know this is a little late. But I saw a tape of J. Beck on Friday's "Tonight Show" and couldn't figure out who the bassist was. Anyone know???

He was black and had a real "pretty" fingerstyle, (like MINE! :D ), and a very compressed sound with very fast note decay, like Mona w/Sammy Hagar. His damping technique must be awesome. Hard to tell from the broadcast. He was playing a white Jazz.

OH, Beck was cool, too. NO picks!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    When I saw Jeff Beck live he had Randy Hope-Taylor (session, Incognito) playing bass. Don't know if he's still with him...

Update: According to www.ainan.com Randy is still in the band - so it must have been him...

P.S.: Check out the Incognito albums for his playing - great stuff!

3. rickbass

MOST definitely great stuff, JMX. Thank you. I have their "Best of" album due from CDNOW on the way. "Change" turned my head around. The artist credits for the album at the site only indicate who the vocalists are since it's a "Best of" album.

I'd never would have guessed it was the same bassist as the man with Beck, though. He was still very tasteful, but his sound was so different with Beck.

Another bassist for my lengthy, "Must Hear Live List."

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Speaking of Jeff Beck, his new CD 'You Had It Coming' is kick-ass. I'm not a techno guy, but this album does a great mix of styles. Beck is fast as ever and I believe Hope-Taylor is credited on the CD. Jennifer Batten plays with him and is the Midi Queen. Definately worth a listen.
    Doc

5. rickbass

That's what amazed me, snyderz. He looked so fast playing on the "Tonight Show," just picking with his fingers.

I really couldn't pigeon-hole his playing into any style. It was jazz, it was rock, it was blues, it was fusion, it was just plain immense.

He had this woman playing some guitar I couldn't identify. She didn't get to show any flash but what she played was interesting. To play with Beck, I don't think it was affirmative action...she must be a monster, too.

6. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Jupp, that's jennifer Batten - like Snyderz said.
    She kicks Jeff's ass live - and she kicks hard...
    I saw her at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt a while back and she scared all those He-Man Metal Shredgods sh!tless...

Her solo albums are great too, especially Jennifer Batten's Tribal Rage - Momentum and the 'The Immigrants' project.
    And she played with Michael Jackson of course :rolleyes:

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Beck's Blow By Blow & Wired were two tour-de-force Rock-Jazz-Fusion albums from the '70s. Has Ms. Batten put out anything that can remotely touch these two records?
    IMO, Beck is from the British school of Blues & has taken it up a couple of notches. I haven't really bought anything from him in awhile(Guitar Shop w/ Bozzio & Hymas was the last thing I bought)...while in the record store today, I did notice You Had It Coming.

Snyderz-
    ...I'm confused by your "techno" comment regarding JEFF Beck; he hasn't become "techno", has he? ;)

JMX-
    As far as chicks with picks, how 'bout Susan Weinert? She's from Germany(I believe)& is in a Stern/Scofield/Scott Henderson vibe.

8. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    @ Jim, I only referred to the live gig I saw - not the individual lifetime achievements - after all: Jeff IS a little older...
    I still think her albums are up there with the best guitar solo albums...

Yeah, I know Susan, great guitarist and solid band.
    BTW: She only started playing guitar because her boyfriend wanted her to (in her late teens).
    They always play great gigs, but I think she's a little tame on her albums (and she should stop listening to Scofield so much).

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Jeff sounded pretty angular when I saw him on Letterman (I think) with Jennifer and Randy. I prefer the Blow By Blow Jeff.

10. allways been a big Jeff Beck fan, the album who else has that techno thing going to but after listening to it you will relize why it was named that.
    first thing i said was geez who else but jeff beck could have some techno grooves and still sound like jeff beck.

there was a biography about Ted Nugent the night before on A&E so all and all its been a good couple of nights on the TV for me.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    JMX-
    When did Beck come on the scene...late '60s? His "masterpiece", IMO, Blow By Blow came out in '75. Still pretty fresh, not dated(IMO).
    Batten has been around awhile now, since the mid-'80s, by my count. What would you consider to be her "best" recording?

BTW-
    ..the new Scofield disc(w/ Kenny Garrett, Chris McBride, Brad Mehldau, & Billy Higgins)is getting some high marks around here. I haven't heard it(yet); it LOOKS like a pretty straightahead-ish recording.

12. rickbass

13. JimK, Jeff's first "name" gig was the Yardbirds, he replaced Clapton.

14. slagheap

slagheap

Dec 23, 2011
    randy hope-taylor.

15. MrMoonlight

MrMoonlight Bottom feeder Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Heh...I figured you were gonna reply with the answer at some point. I didn't think I'd have to wait over fifteen years for it, though. I'll finally be able to sleep at night now.

thunderstation likes this.
  16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...will add that the OP, rickbass, was a great asset to this Site. He is missed.
    RIP, brother.