1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who waxes their strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by newbold, Apr 15, 2010.

1. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    I just read about somebody paste waxing their strings to deepen them...

...Is this a popular approach for roundwound players?

Pros/Cons??

Do they make the strings sticky or slinky?

Does the wax gum up the fingerboard?

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    never did and never will.

3. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    +1

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    is that like waxing a modem to make it go faster? (thanks for the chukle Al!)

5. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    If you want dead strings, just buy some flats.:bag:

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Ive accidentally gotten wood wax on strings before and it can dull the strings sound. So I'd never wax them purposefully. A couple companies have made string cleaner spray, but its not wax.

7. rosanne

rosanne

Sep 30, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Where did you read that???

8. I wrote it on a post here.

I got some Elixirs that I thought would be like the strings on my SR500 - and they aren't.

I gave up on getting the noise out of them on a P-bass and finally just gave them a coat of Mothers Carnauba wax and they sound a lot better. I was waxing the bass and - figuring they were a loss to me anyway and not returnable - I didn't feel I had anything to lose.

Now they are slick, quieter and have a lot deeper sound. Still - not the best thing to do likely - but it worked for me and took some $40.00 strings I hate to a little higher level in the LIKE column.

I may have to re-wax them every 2,000 miles or so.

Don't try it if you don't like the idea - I was just saying what it did for me.

9. This is very interesting... I wonder how they sound, tonewise and noisewise, compared to groundwounds, flatwounds, tapewounds, and plain old ancient dead roundwounds...

10. What I got was a lot less string noise. The P pups are too sensitive I think. This chilled the noise and made them much nicer to finger and fret.

A nicer tone in the lower registers too - I forgot that.

11. What about brightness and sparkle, did it dull those too?

12. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I waxed my yo-yo string when i was a kid. :eyebrow:

13. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I've used baby wipes on a set of roundwounds before when I had to change a string in an emergency situation with a set of roundwounds that was very very old. Mellowed the new string down to almost the same as the string it was replacing. I've since moved to flatwounds on most of my basses, but yes it can be done if that's your thing.

14. If brightness and sparkle translate to string noise and nasty sounds that the pups get into the mix - yes.

I don't play for bright.

I let the lead guitar and keyboard sound bright - I supply the foundation and let them build on it.

Moody and chocolate sound ala Sly & The Family Stone-sound.

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I don't wax my strings because I prefer a fuzzy tone.