1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who we are

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by iamlowsound, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Who we are isn't dictated by what we do, but rather what we do is dictated by who we are.

Discuss.

lowsound

2. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    You just have to realize that it is you that is bending, not the spoon.

3. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    This seems like an interesting argument. At first thought, I would disagree because according to that statement you would have to be born with a certain "soul," if you will, a predetermined wiring that would dictate how you act and what desicions you make. I think that who you are is more determined by the environment you grow up in and how you react to that environment and various situations met in that environment. For what it's worth.

4. It's a bit of both. Any more explanation and I'd be taking a valuable opportunity away from someone's parents.

Mike

5. Dude, I have no ieda what you are talking about.

6. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    If you put the quote "Who we are isn't dictated by what we do, but rather what we do is dictated by who we are." into any search engine you come up with a great big pile of KOOK TALK. :meh: Try it; it's fun.

7. You and your circular logic.

8. Logic is one of those things that I have considered majoring in. If I ever go back to school.

lowsound

9. bassaficionado6

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    Jeez... I didn't realize this quote had anything to do with the perception of reality (?) :eyebrow:

10. I am all for Logic and philosophy, I am in my college Philosophy Club after all, I just didn't feel like talking about it on TB haha

I can see mayhem ensuing quickly.

11. It doesn't. For example. Are you a drug addict because you use drugs, or do you use drugs because you are a drug addict?

lowsound

12. bassaficionado6

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    Once again it seems like the first one would be true. It seems I might go insane in a logics class.

13. It's not what you do... it's how you do it.

14. It depends on how you define yourself. If what you do defines you, such as you play bass therefore you are a bass player, then the first would be true. If you define what you do by who you are, you play bass because you are a bass player. I tend to agree with the latter.

lowsound

15. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    It all seems to be a matter of time. If you do drugs once than i think you are the first. If you have been on drugs for a while, i say if flips.

16. Spoken like a prophet.

+1

17. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Are we not men?

We are Devo!

18. ahkiatt

ahkiatt

Sep 30, 2006
    Singapore
    We are Talkbassers. Aren't we? :eyebrow:

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Who we are is not dictated by what we do; rather, it's to whom we do it.

20. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I think that people who do drugs do drugs because they're wired to do drugs. I say that as a cigarette smoker (among other things). I know people who won't ever smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol or have anything to do with anything fun (I kid, I kid) because that's how they're wired up. Who you are defines what you do.

Even when you're a junkie hooked on black-tar heroin, you've changed the wiring of your brain and body to "need" the opitate, so "who you are defining what you do" still applies.