Who were the first nu/modern metal bands?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by peteroberts, Feb 18, 2005.

1. There's a lot of what they used to call nu-metal out there now; Mudvayne, Slipknot, etc. Who were the first?

First one I can remember hearing is Korn - 1st record in 1994. Was anyone doing it before them?

I didn't really keep up between the hair metal bands of the 80's and mid 90's when Korn starting gaining popularity.
  2. I'm by no means an expert, but I thought the Deftones had actually started before Korn (not sure about album release dates....). I'd also like to know who may have been before these bands, just out of curiousity.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

That's an interesting question. I would have said Korn myself.
    But on further reflection of the time, I recall thinking the first time I heard Rage Against the Machine...wow--that is a really new and exciting sound! There was another band about that time, too, Machine Head, that had some of the elements. Even Prong did. We even had a band in South Florida called Collapsing Lungs (later just Lungs) that had some elements of nu-metal.

The reason I am familiar with these bands is that the band I was in at the time was using elements from Machine Head, Rage, Prong, Biohazard, Cypress Hill, Fear Factory, Deftones and Beastie Boys to come up with our own sound.

I believe you could argue that any or all of those bands contributed at least some traits of style that eventually became what Korn and Limp Bizkit matured into the nu-metal "genre." But if I had to name the ONE, it would be Korn. Still Rage Against the Machine, Biohazard and Cypress Hill were certainly immediate ancestors.

Oh, one more important "ancestor" would be my beloved Faith No More. They did incorporate rap-like elements into their music even before Korn existed.

In conclusion, the very early 1990s saw a group of bands that were definitely trending toward what eventually became nu-metal. We called our own band "hard core hip-hop" because the name nu-metal had not yet reached common usage then, but our band was based on the forerunners of nu-metal.

In respect to Korn, they certainly have outlived the band I was in. I guess it shows that derivative or imitative bands don't often do well. It is the bands who are truly creative and can take a genre from where it is and move it forward--those bands survive.
  4. I wouldn't put Rage in this category, their sound is based more on Led Zeppelin, I think. I loved 'em, but I would call them 'rap-rock' I guess. I'm talking about the detuned 7-string stuff.

I've heard that Faith No More's 'Angel Dust' record was a frontrunner, but have never heard the record.
  5. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I don't know but can I say Body Count? Would they have something to do with it?
  6. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Ouch I know some Deftones fans that would murder you if you called Deftones nu-metal haha. They're actually more hardcore than anything.

First nu-metal band I always thought was Korn.
  7. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    You have to be aware that back in their debut-days it was still called spooky-core, nu-metal is a name invented by labelmofos who wanted to sell more to angry young teens ;)
  8. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
  9. Labels and boxes

It's all labels and boxes I tell you!! :eek: :eek:
  10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Prong - Beg To Differ
  11. Definitly Helmet. They really made the detuned guitar sound more popular. I think the beasty boys had a lot to do with it as well, "License to Ill" mixed rock and rap pretty well.
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wow... I didn't know Prong was Nu Metal... I always think Faith No More, but I noticed by the end any heavy band was being called Nu Metal.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Korn first comes to mind.
  14. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    A lot of the Nu-metal bands (especially Korn) were influenced by Faith No More. Still, I don't know if I would really call Angel Dust a prototype for Nu-metal.

I think it's really hard to try to trace a style of music to one band or moment in music history. I mean, Bill Haley brought Rock n' Roll to the masses, but Rock n' Roll existed before Rock Around the Clock.
  15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    King Crimson. Robert Fripp has been tuning down to C since 1982. Adrian Belew was doing quasi-rap thing (like Elephant Talk and Dig Me), and Bruford and Levin were a heavy as hell rhythm section.

Nuovo metal, indeed.
  16. Hahah, if you put it that way, you're right!

Personally, I have to agree and say Korn. They were one of the earlier bands and certainly one of the first to gain major popularity.