Who / what comforts you when the music isn't going well?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rockin John, Dec 3, 2004.

1. When things aren't going too well with the music, who or what do turn to for support?

Wife / girlfriend / husband / boyfriend?

Dog / Cat?

Favourite bass? Favourite effect pedal? Favourite amp?

Chocolate (one for the ladies? :eek: )

Mine's my little Korg metronome. It's totally unforgiving and a very hard taskmaster. I've learned to love and hate that thing. But's it's brought me back on track every time.

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Nothing seems to help me. When the music is bad, I slip into a pretty righteous depression. Sometimes I just have to force myself to play or write something and hopefully the music will come back - too bad that doesn't work 100% of the time.
  3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Music gone bad? I can't imagine that.

Music is my esacape from reality.
  4. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Having an escape helps... Just make sure its not a NEGATIVE escape... computer or xbox helps... maybe some tv... just put it down for a while... Forcing things is bad, & forcing bad stuff is even worse.
  5. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    ... scrabble ... doesn't ... help? :(

7. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    that and a good yank
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Moving Pictures....

pop it in, Jam & Sing.... by Vital Signs all is right in the world again.
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Usually what does it for me is doing a cover tune, or setting out to cover a tune, because I usually end up doing my own thing from it, so, I'll lay down a couple tracks related to this tune, then somewhere along the line I'll just delete it all and start doing my own thing.
  10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The thing to remember is, as long as you are putting in the work, progress happens. I guess I've been doing this long enough that I know that plateaus happen and you get past them, things that are giving you a hard time become easier, and so on. The second part of my sig is a quote in Latin that means dripping water hollows stone. Practice makes progress.

I guess also it's good to have the attitude that you can't sound like anything other than you sound.
  11. Thanks folks.

Hello, Ed, how are you? Hey, a side question for you.

Bought Ed Friedlands, Jazz Bass book. The guy seems to be implying that the bassists sometimes plays dead on the beat, sometimes behind and sometimes ahead of it. Is this for real?????

12. Sex is a good release but I don't mean in a yanking pointview
    but it's like alochol once it's over you're back to where you're started :bag:
  13. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    This is definitely for real. Hopefully if you are ahead of or behind the beat, it's because you want to be..........

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:
  14. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
  15. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have to concur!
  16. i guess when the music isnt going well id try to do something about it, most of the time id take a good set of cds and lock my self in the my room with the cd player. i always seem to come out inspired and feeling fresh.

but whatever happens i keep practicing daily, its come to the point where i dont really have to think about getting up and doing it, i just do it, y'know........

17. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    When I need a break from music, I like to game.. Currently I am playing World of Warcraft with my wifey. It doesn't take very long though until I want to pickup my bass or guitar again.
  18. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    All I can tell you is that what I practice is having a relaxed, stable and open time feel against a constant. I try to play quarter notes on the click, I try to play notes that imply forward motion to the harmony, rather than trying to play "in front" or "behind" the beat.

If you work on having no trouble hooking up with a little machine that just plays a click, you won't have any trouble hooking up with a real live person. My humble suggestion is to worry more about playing IN time and worry less about playing WITH time, right now.
  19. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    a fat sack of weed :D